Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?

spacequakes

With default settings, DEP is already effective for all applications that have a flag in its executable header that it's compatible with DEP. Your typical internet facing applications most likely have it set already. If you check the .exe with Process Hacker's PE Viewer, it should have NX compatible listed under Characteristics.

CPU must support the feature and I've read that the motherboard/BIOS settings may prevent it from being usable, even when supported by the CPU. First Pentium 4 CPUs based on Northwood core don't have it, later Prescott based ones do. On AMD side, Wikipedia suggests support started with Athlon 64.

I enabled it today and I see no degradation in speed - I notice no difference so thanks for the advice and hope that is an additional layer of protection, at least I think/hope my hardware is compatible. I downloaded process hacker. I'm rockin' a Dell Optiplex 745 - ACPI Multiprocessor PC. To be honest, this bios hasn't EVER been updated :o(yeah ... I like to live on the edge Lol)

msfn.JPG.591ba0d7ab0ac29c275d0928f485bd0c.JPG

I'm married to this PC so hopefully we'll both grow old gracefully together (I think the computer is doing better than I, though) ;)

16 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... But it's coming from a Chinese vendor (so XP support isn't that much of a "surprise" there ;) ... );
however, several members here have expressed their mistrust (some even aversion) for everything with a Chinese origin :( ;
at the end of the day, would you yourself use such a solution?
FTR, I have not any personal issues myself using a Chinese (and/or Russian) product,
that is, no additional issues compared to using just US ones... :P

Best regards :)

I personally have never used a real time AV so I wouldn't choose that type of software.
But I would have no problem with nationality if the software/hardware meets my needs.
To cite an example my smartphone is Huawei and the android browser I prefer is Opera.

Moreover many members in this forum use EE 360 which has the same nationality.

1 hour ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

Moreover many members in this forum use EE 360 which has the same nationality.

Of course Qihoo 360 was a well-known antivirus before the company made a Chromium fork, and afaik it still fully supports XP/Vista (not just definition updates for some legacy version). Tencent is another big Chinese company that makes an AV. I have no plans to try either myself... :cool:

27 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Of course Qihoo 360 was a well-known antivirus before the company made a Chromium fork, and afaik it still fully supports XP/Vista (not just definition updates for some legacy version). Tencent is another big Chinese company that makes an AV. I have no plans to try either myself... :cool:

In Wilders' forum there are 49 pages about this AV, with interventions also from the developer.

Some experienced users, such as cruelsister, I can guarantee you that he is of the highest reliability, make similar interventions:

Cruelsister wrote:

Hi Bushman! Generally speaking, any application that can potentially compromise your personal data must do two things- first it must somehow acquire such information from you (for example, by means of things that act as keyloggers, bots, backdoors, etc). Second, the application must be able to transmit this stolen data out.

Detecting the first, although somewhat tricky, can be done, while detecting the second is quite easy. In the specific case of WVSX, on analysis I could see no evidence of malicious data harvesting activity and any "calling home" potential can be easily prevented (by either setting a rule in CF to block WV from connecting out, or just by unticking two things in WV itself (the Check For Update and the Provide Threat Statistics boxes).

In the review that I posted long ago in this thread I actually totally disabled the Internet connection of the test system and judged the product on the AI functionality alone with good result.. Although not optimal, WVSX still would outperform protection-wise better than products based solely on dumb data based detection.

So to sum up, I really wouldn't worry about WV stealing information from you, especially as information about you has already been ripped off many times before by things thought to be totally safe.

more info:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/wisevector-stop-x.431502/page-49

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

On 4/13/2021 at 2:48 PM, Sampei.Nihira said:

WiseVector StopX fully supports Windows XP

I decided to look into this AV:
Long story short, I am pleased with it and have not seen such a lightweight AV in a long, long time.

As said before this post, it is of Chinese origin. This does raise the concern of telemetry, as many Chinese programs are known to be chock-full of it (Maxthon, 360Chrome, etc.) However, I definitely didn't want to just assume anything, so I did some research. To my delight, it seems surprisingly void of telemetry. Of course, this point in particular is thoroughly covered in the posting directly above mine, but for the sake of a full review, I've reiterated it.

One may note that WV polls a server in Hangzhou frequently, but only to look for updates. For those that are offended by this, just uncheck the Check For Updates box.
On uninstall, the app will connect out to a statistic server in Singapore. One should have no issue here.

This analysis comes, of course, from the thread at the Wilders Security Forums: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/wisevector-stop-x.431502/
(by the way, that's a great thread for all sorts of delving into this program.)

The program has settings for fine-tuning the protection to your exact needs and desires. The English in the program is very good, with no remnants of Chinese text in sight. As to the user interface, it is modern-ish and very minimalist, which is disappointing but expected for basically any modern AV. It supports skinning, which is...odd. But options are always welcome, of course!

I cannot speak exactly to its detection performance, but on my HP Compaq 6200 Pro with XP x64 (8GB RAM, i3-2100) NO performance hit while doing everyday tasks with real-time protection enabled was observed. I do not usually use real-time protection on my machines, but for the sake of testing today I did. Similarly, nothing was noticed when performing a full system scan and continuing use of the system during the scan. While scanning, it was using approximately 90-150MB of RAM. Certainly a very competitive if not outright better figure than any other modern AV. CPU usage was observed to be around 25-30%. Unsure if it is capped there or if it was simply not able to pull files from the disk any faster.

All in all: A surprisingly good and surprisingly lightweight AV supporting real-time scanning.

Edited by i430VX
speling

• 1 month later...

Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 Client no longer gets definition updates. I have used this prog for more than 10 years now, first version 11, then 12... It was a solid AV/firewall combo, too bad Broadcom decided to finally pull the plug on the WinXP... It was good while it lasted :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 is still working on XP and continues to get updates.

You will need to use one of pre-final version of it (as final version is not getting updates anymore) or a registry patch that will change the version number of final version to pre-final.

Anyone been able to get updates for WiseVector StopX on XP? It fails when I try to update, and so far seems to detect harmless programs as malware, including things I've downloaded from this site.

EDIT: I got the beta 3.00 version, but the problem persists.

EDIT 2: The 3.01 beta seems to fix these problems.

Edited by beansmuggler

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

By chance, since I'm now using Comodo, I discovered Comodo Cleaning Essentials is in fact still working on XP. I updated and I did a full scan, it restarted my computer to check for rootkits and found nothing. Hope this helps.

https://www.comodo.com/business-security/network-protection/cleaning_essentials.php

Scratch that ... wishful thinking I guess. That database it quite outdated, but perhaps worth keeping around still. Others tools included are good.

Edited by XPerceniol

• 5 months later...

I moved K7 Ultimate Security , One of the best performer in AVTest and extremely lite,  Anti Ransomware is really impressive to say the least ,  Not Bitdefender or Kaspersky level but their with Avast and Avira

Better to go with Total security , i mean who cares for system optimizer and few fancy features

https://www.k7computing.com/in/home-users/total-security

I am impressed , Company is from India.

Download a trial and check it out.

Edited by Dibya