Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?

spacequakes

On 10/19/2020 at 4:29 PM, Gargam said:

About Kaspersky Free on XP.

I have v.19.0.0.1088 OK here since a few years... No problem.
Automatically patched, recently (last month) to "n".

Maybe there (?):
https://kaspersky-free-antivirus.soft112.com/download.html

=>  https://products.s.kaspersky-labs.com/homeuser/kfa2019/19.0.0.1088/english-GB-0.57.0/kfa19.0.0.1088en_14173.exe

It is not working on mine (Windows xp professional sp3 with pos ready updates). Says current os is not supported

error.JPG

@Mr.Scienceman2000 : You need to have previously installed (and probably also fully updated) .NET Framework 4 for Kaspersky Labs Products to run on XP and beyond; the last "series" of Kaspersky products to not require .NET4 was the "2013" one... 

Do you actually have .NET4 on your XP Pro SP3 machine? :dubbio:

Edited by VistaLover

8 hours ago, VistaLover said:

@Mr.Scienceman2000 : You need to have previously installed (and probably also fully updated) .NET Framework 4 for Kaspersky Labs Products to run on XP and beyond; the last "series" of Kaspersky products to not require .NET4 was the "2013" one... 

Do you actually have .NET4 on your XP Pro SP3 machine? :dubbio:

Yes I have and all updates to netfx 4 I think (cannot be 100% sure since windows update is gone)

panel.JPG

Same system, except 32bit here.

My Kaspersky (free) license is active till 2021, july 28...

In archive, I've my first (2017) Kaspersky setup: "kfa18.0.0.405aben_es_fr_12643.exe"
Not an little installer, but a 154 Mo standalone setup.

If you want to try it...
http://dl.free.fr/lo2iSLvhl

The original source was:
https://sospc.name/kaspersky-free-francais/
to obtain a french version. But the install offers english, french, spanish...

Edited by Gargam

On 10/23/2020 at 6:39 AM, Gargam said:

In archive, I've my first (2017) Kaspersky setup: "kfa18.0.0.405aben_es_fr_12643.exe"
Not an little installer, but a 154 Mo standalone setup.

That is the one I am using. I downloaded it from here:

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Kaspersky-Free.shtml

It is still available from there, via the "External mirror - 2018" link. I don't really like it because it's very slow, but since I'm only using it as an on-demand scanner I decided to keep it (for now).

Tip: Click on the Tools button and you can turn on Cloud Protection (if that's something you want).

• 5 months later...

spacer.png

Well.. FWIW:

Malwarebytes 3 is still receiving package updates daily (I update it every day), though, it doesn't receive application or component updates any longer. The latest version I am running, is: Application v3.5.1.2522 - Component Package v1.0.365 ... so that is as good as its gonna get; sadly. I'm certainly not saying its extraordinary, but another option nonetheless :)

EDIT: Ha, apparently that definition update was from 4 hours ago as it just now updated to package version: 1.0.20920

Another thing, although the regular scan may be sufficient, I would select "scan" -> "custom scan" -> "configure scan" and select everything (including the kitchen sink) if you have the time to wait.

Edited by XPerceniol

I've been using that for several years now too, it works very well, and they say it will continue to receive pattern updates for the foreseeable future.
It isn't free though. The free version of MB still works on XP too AFAIK, but has no real-time scanning.
:)

3 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Malwarebytes 3 is still receiving package updates daily (I update it every day), though, it doesn't receive application or component updates any longer. The latest version I am running, is: Application v3.5.1.2522 - Component Package v1.0.365 ... so that is as good as its gonna get; sadly....

I know for a fact that the component package version hasn’t changed in two years, and it most likely hasn’t changed since 3.5.1 was released on May 8, 2018. Therefore I cannot take Malwarebytes seriously when they claim to be “committed to continue support for Windows XP and Vista“ - but don’t get me wrong: Definition updates are certainly better than nothing!

Since this thread has been bumped, I will summarize some of the bad news I’ve heard in the last several months:

As pointed out by VistaLover in a recent post, versions of McAfee antivirus products that were old enough to work on XP/Vista have reportedly been unable to receive definition updates since January 1, 2021.

Earlier in this thread, legacy versions of ESET were occasionally mentioned as an option. Unfortunately, an ESET article indicates that SHA-2 support is now extremely important. If we have any recent ESET users here, please tell us about your experiences! (As I have mentioned once or twice in the Vista forum, ESET 12.x might perhaps be an option for a Vista system with certain Server 2008 updates adding SHA-2 support.)

Norton had threatened to cut off definition updates for their XP/Vista “maintenance mode” version after February 28, 2021, but evidently changed its mind by March 8.

I don’t recommend or even know much about Webroot, but have come across their official download page for the final XP-compatible version.

None of the products I mention above have free versions!? My own preference and suggestion would still be Avast Free 18.8 (or equivalent AVG version, which has the same engine). Of course that would not prevent you from using Malwarebytes Free for on-demand scanning if you wish. I know that Dave-H couldn’t use Avast on one of his XP systems, which is too bad because testing by independent labs showed that Avast Free was significantly more effective than Malwarebytes Premium or Webroot, and nearly as good as paid versions of Kaspersky, Norton, etc. (Kaspersky Free has never been tested AFAIK.)

4 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Therefore I cannot take Malwarebytes seriously when they claim to be “committed to continue support for Windows XP and Vista

... I think they have been candid :) about the type of "continued support" in the May 17th 2018 article below:

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/191650-malwarebytes-3-frequently-asked-questions/?tab=comments#comment-1243649

Malwarebytes 3.5.1 build 2522 component package 1.0.365, will continue to support legacy Windows XP and Windows Vista at the same level as we had with earlier 3.x releases.
(snipped)
Users running Malwarebytes 3.5 on Windows XP and Vista will continue to receive on-going protection updates to keep safe from the latest infections. However, these operating systems will no longer receive program upgrades, such as component packages or newer program versions, for new features.

i.e. their "support" is limited, in practice, to just offering def updates, via a separate development track (they also make mention of "other maintenance upgrades", but only an actual (paid) user of the app can testify whether such "upgrades" ever took place... :whistle:) .

Still, if you compare them to other vendors cited in this thread (who decided to cut-off updates on their XP/Vista compatible products), they do hold a higher place in my heart, because they acknowledged:

... that some customers have reasons to continue working with legacy systems, so Malwarebytes wants to continue providing support for these legacy platforms for as long as possible

See there, if it's still "possible" for them, why did the rest bail out :realmad: ?

One sane person would think that when an OS becomes unsupported by its vendor, third party Security Products should become even more effective in protecting the integrity of that OS (and their vendors could generate additional income in the process ;) ); what did we see instead? Most AV vendors leaving "high and dry" :realmad: the users of said OS (which may well have been paying customers until then) :( ...

7 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Therefore I cannot take Malwarebytes seriously when they claim to be “committed to continue support for Windows XP and Vista“ - but don’t get me wrong: Definition updates are certainly better than nothing!

@VistaLover your information is accurate as always! :)

I quote myself rather than you only because I feel that your defense of Malwarebytes was disproportionate to my perceived attack. What bothers me about the specific Malwarebytes link I cited is that it seems to exploit the ambiguity of the term “support” in order to sell more Malwarebytes Premium licenses. Call me old school if you like, but if a software vendor hasn’t issued a new version that works on your OS for 3 years, then IMO that vendor cannot properly be said to “support” your OS (unless there are truly two separate development channels, in which case your version number should change occasionally).

The world’s largest third-party AV maker (Avast/AVG) seems to agree with my point of view. A few months after the Malwarebytes post cited by VistaLover, Avast promised to continue definition updates (but nothing else) in a post with the honest title End of support for Windows XP/Vista (which btw has official download links for version 18.8). This did not prevent Avast from doing something rather significant on behalf of 2008/Vista in June 2019: issuing a micro-update for improved compatibility with Windows 6.0.6003 (which is somewhat OT here in the XP forum). I hope I don’t sound too much like an Avast fanboy. I certainly wish there were numerous good options for XP/Vista, but the pickings are getting rather slim nowadays I’m afraid. :(

I've always thought (assumed) that if Malwarebytes 3.5.1 were compromised in any way that would make it ineffective in protecting an XP system, its paying users would be informed. As it is as long as its pattern files are being kept up to date that's good enough for me.
I was sorry that I could never get Avast (or AVG) to work properly on my system, I never found out why.
Malwarebytes was the fallback, and I've never had any cause to regret that.
:)

Do you guys think turning on (enabling) "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select" would help in preventing our malwarebytes installation from being compromised? I normally only protect "essential windows programs and services" - or is there another way to protect our installation from being tampered with.

Thank you in advance.

EDIT:

Such as, protecting the folders:

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\MBAMService

Edited by XPerceniol

For Vista x86, my policy has long been to keep DEP enabled for all programs as a general security precaution. I have reason to believe that DEP once saved me from a FlashPlayer exploit, and does not interfere with MBAM Free. Of course DEP only protects against threats that cause buffer overflows to force execution of malicious code, and IDK whether any such threats have targeted legacy MBAM specifically.

19 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

WiseVector StopX fully supports Windows XP:

... But it's coming from a Chinese vendor (so XP support isn't that much of a "surprise" there ;) ... );
however, several members here have expressed their mistrust (some even aversion) for everything with a Chinese origin :( ;
at the end of the day, would you yourself use such a solution?
FTR, I don't have any personal issues myself using a Chinese (and/or Russian) product,
that is, no additional issues compared to using just US/EU ones... :P

Best regards :)

Edited by VistaLover