Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?

spacequakes

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

As AVG and Avast are now the same company, I don't see how one can be considered OK and the other "discredited"?
When I tried them both they seemed to be virtually identical.
:dubbio:

Because they are virtually identical. The final versions to support XP and Vista are Avast 18.8 and AVG 18.8 and have the same engine (see https://support.avg.com/answers?id=9060N000000TsFrQAK).

As for the "discredited" part, I once again thank jaclaz for the link provided at the top of Page 16: https://www.pcmag.com/news/avast-to-end-browser-data-harvesting-terminates-jumpshot.

2 hours ago, shorterxp said:

So whats the best so far?

Free or paid? If you want a free antivirus that works on XP, then Avast 18.8 (or AVG 18.8) would still be my suggestion. Official download links are at End of support for Windows XP/Vista. Kaspersky Free 2019 reportedly works on XP and might be as good or better (it's hard to be sure since Kaspersky only submits paid versions for independent testing), but is no longer current and I can't readily find an official download link (perhaps someone else has one). Neowin has a Kaspersky Free 2019 online installer (19.0.0.1088) but I cannot vouch for it.

For those who are willing to pay, I don't think this thread has really resolved anything.

Thanks, i'm not really a fan of AV, I keep secure files on external drives (and insta-reinstall OS) should cmplications arise.

Better that way IMO. The hype of AV is really perpetrated by businesses, its those who actually need it the most.

Edited by shorterxp

• 2 months later...

Avast abandoned Avast Pro Antyvirus product line. The client with pending subscriptions are switched to Avast Premier with the subscription extended by one month.

The whole thing caused quite a disturbance, because when installed Avast product notices the licence properties are different than the installed version it automaticaly installs the version in the licence. There is no user consent in this process, the whole thing happens in the background, and it is not possible to prevent it.

When Avast upgrades from Pro Antyvirus to Premier it installs and activates firewall module. Because of that the remote support loses connection to the computer, and the network shares are blocked. In my case it blocked VNC remote access, SMB scaning services, and Network share SMB file backup services from BackupPC servers.

According to the Avast support, the feature was meant to correct user mistakes involving installation of a wrong Avast software version. But when connected with online licence renewal services it can cause quite a headache for remote support crew.

This is true to Avast Internet Security, as well. If the firewall module was not installed, a forced version switch can install it.

I do not know if AVG has the same issues, as the Avast.

• 4 weeks later...

360 Total Security Essential is working.
I mean, Qihoo, shady as it can be... but it runs well on XP. You can also enable Avira database for scans. I won't use it, tho.

Avast! and AVG are terrible in my country. They have no labs here, malware passby (meaning that their engine is meh). And looks like they make more money with your data than selling software...

Panda seems to slow down app execution until it check its servers, cuz its engine is mainly "cloud powered".

I just installed ClamWin + ClamSentinel to check it out, and oh boy, they're terrible. Not only is the database not fed as it should, making ClamAV terrible for 0d malware, the real-time scan consumes all CPU available. 
On the other hand, that's all that's left if you want additional "real-time" protection on your XP, but won't use it as main AV. Keep "low priority mode" and it will release CPU for other apps... 

Edited by NoneRain

• 2 months later...
On 6/14/2019 at 4:00 AM, Ben Markson said:

For anyone still struggling to bite the bullet by installing a replacement to MSE (so far I'm finding them all downright scary if not outright destructive and it is just reminding me why I switched to MSE in the first place) these MSE registry changes seem to do two things.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Signature Updates]
"ASSignatureDue"=dword:0000016d
"AVSignatureDue"=dword:0000016d

...where 16d = 365 days

They stop the 2001 Event ID errors for Microsoft Antimalware, plus - and this did surprise me - my MSE has turned from orange back to green. This is deceptively comforting as it is obviously purely cosmetic. Even so MSE is not entirely useless as it is still doing its job even as the signature files become increasingly out of date.

I'm guessing this gives 365 days before MSE thinks the 1.293.2807.0 definitions are too old. I'm also guessing the value could be increased even further.

Ben.

I just used e42 for 10 years instead of 1 or 2

My MSE is green right now, after a reboot, so we'll see if it goes yellow again. If/when it does, I'll just run this reg script!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I use Comodo Internet security 12.0.0.6818 which is last to Windows XP/Vista even site claims latest one works. Comodo is not to everyone. It definitions are not top of range. You need enable hips and others and tweak to make it work well. For network security you can do it on network level. Sometimes even router own firewall is good enough as long as you disable vurneable features like UPNP and other automatic port share features

6 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

I use Comodo Internet security 12.0.0.6818 which is last to Windows XP/Vista even site claims latest one works.

Version number sounds correct, but is there still an official download link? (I don’t think there is, but wouldn’t mind being proven wrong.) I know what you mean about unreliable system requirements at Comodo’s website, but there was an announcement last year.

13 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Version number sounds correct, but is there still an official download link? (I don’t think there is, but wouldn’t mind being proven wrong.) I know what you mean about unreliable system requirements at Comodo’s website, but there was an announcement last year.

I found online installer only first until checked wayback machine and found this to full offline installer https://web.archive.org/web/20190502052352/http://cdn.download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/1000/standalone/cispremium_only_installer.exe that been using to load comodo on all of my xp/vista machines just in case comodo deletes files from servers breaking online installer

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

On 2/15/2020 at 5:15 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

[...] I can't readily find an official download link (perhaps someone else has one). [...]

About Kaspersky Free on XP.

I have v.19.0.0.1088 OK here since a few years... No problem.
Automatically patched, recently (last month) to "n".

Maybe there (?):
https://kaspersky-free-antivirus.soft112.com/download.html

=>  https://products.s.kaspersky-labs.com/homeuser/kfa2019/19.0.0.1088/english-GB-0.57.0/kfa19.0.0.1088en_14173.exe