Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?

spacequakes

3 hours ago, Dr. Drill said:

ESET NOD32 Antivirus v.4.2.76 works great on WinXP x32 SP3 until now.

That is an extremely old version. According to System Requirements, Windows XP was officially supported by all versions 9.x and below (although I have no idea where to find such old installers). I was surprised when @Dibya mentioned on pages 2-3 of this thread (July 25, 2018) using then-latest ESET NOD32 version 11, but I later learned that installation on XP wasn't blocked until version 12.2.23 according to Changelog. (That was also the last version to officially support Windows Vista, which is why I learned about it.)

Edit: I never used ESET NOD32 because it isn't free, but I occasionally use and would recommend the ESET SysRescue Live disk.

Edited by Vistapocalypse

That is an extremely old version.

Old as WinXP. However, anti-virus databases for version 4.x are still updated daily. And 4.x version loads CPU less than newer versions. I use this version on a netbook with WinXP and an Atom N270 processor.

but I occasionally use and would recommend the ESET SysRescue Live disk

Yes, cool tool.

Norton and ESET are certainly good brands: my only concern is whether such old versions can offer much protection in 2020 (and have you actually paid for a license?) I would suggest visiting AMTSO and taking the drive-by downloads test to see if your versions can prevent download of the (harmless) EICAR test file. Since sonicenforce likes to post screenshots, I'd like to see a screenshot of a Norton 2002 detection pop-up.

12 hours ago, sonicenforce said:

You know malwarebyte free is updated in XP in 2020 ?

Yes, Malwarebytes is mentioned many times in this thread. I prefer Malwarebytes Free 2.2.1 rather than 3.x. (To get Free, you must deselect the free trial of Premium during installation.) If I was interested in paying for their real-time protection, then I would install 3.5.1 (see Malwarebytes support for legacy Windows XP and Vista Operating Systems).

23 hours ago, Dibya said:

It just works

eset re-released last working version for xp and the new isnt compatible anymore
new 12.1.34 certificate date is different, i installed the old with a 120 days promo key and works good just use a little bit more memory ram
https://support.eset.com/en/download-and-install-eset-offline-or-install-older-versions-of-eset-products

12 hours ago, sukistackhouse said:

eset re-released last working version for xp and the new isnt compatible anymore
new 12.1.34 certificate date is different, i installed the old with a 120 days promo key and works good just use a little bit more memory ram
https://support.eset.com/en/download-and-install-eset-offline-or-install-older-versions-of-eset-products

I may have found the reason why the certificate date is different and it isn't compatible with XP anymore: The download link on that page labeled as ESET NOD32 Antivirus 12.1.34.0 32-bit actually delivers product version 12.2.30.0 (signed September 24, 2019):

1219667570_ESETNOD32Download.JPG.1a6b0d9eb0717db19cac60523ca54269.JPG

As I mentioned earlier, installation on XP was reportedly not possible with version 12.2.23.0. (But I "like" your post because you may have found an ideal download link for Vista x86. :))

Meanwhile, the download link labeled as ESET NOD32 Antivirus 11.0.159.9 32-bit actually delivers 11.0.162.0 (signed February 08, 2018). I wonder if @Dibya uses that exact version?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2019 at 12:17 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

Did I mention that I'm using Avast?

... In case you were not made aware of recent revelations... :dubbio:

https://bgr.com/2020/01/28/avast-selling-user-data-privacy-scandal/

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32641717-Leaked-Documents-Expose-Avast-Selling-Users-Web-Browsing-Data

:angry: :realmad:

Avast:
yes of course it's disgusting, but don't they all sell our complete life profiles, long since??
Lying and selling people is the normal state today, being honest and human friendly has become an almost fiction like exception.

Especially Google/FB/MS/etc. If I remember correctly, Google meanwhile is worth 1.000.000.000.000 dollars, that doesn't come from nothing. Or was it FB? No, guess Google... But not much difference anyway. Perhaps also Cloudflare, who knows?? Have read somewhere that half the global internet traffic is meanwhile traveling through their servers, and that they have full unencrypted access to everything, incl. passwords. What a goldmine...

Which reminds me that Trump changed the US laws to allow all internet providers to sell their own customers data for money, to do what they want with them. And that he also changed the laws to allow them to filter access to websites for their customers. They get to see now what their providers want them to see.

And of course, most definitely all Android Phones are just pure bugging devices, wiretaps, active 24h a day and 365 days per year. Whatever other functions the devices may have is merely the bait to lure the prey into using it. And it doesn't help to switch them off, considering their purpose they can happily switch themselves on again whenever they wish, and switch on the microphone to listen a bit, and take secretly photos and movies, to send home. All with the supposed "permission" of the owners of course (or they couldn't use them at all). The only reliable way to prevent secret remote access is to remove the battery. But of course, those little escapes must be prevented, people must by spied 100% of the time, therefore our bugging devices must not contain removable batteries anymore. And of course, it's also better to trash them frequently, after 1-2 years, to be replaced with newer devices with yet better spying technology. Not to forget more profit by selling lots more devices.

There was that absolutely incredible report about a year ago, how a technical journalist used a man-in-the-middle device to catch all the data his Android phone was "phoning home", after a trip into the city with his phone in flightmode. Obviously, that doesn't help at all. As soon as he let it go online again, Google was sucking up all the accumulated full spy data it had just temporarily stored inside, during the flightmode. It had been clear since years that they spy on us every second, but the real amount was still breathtaking. Incredibly detailed, every step and movement, pre-analyzed by AI already, including when he "walked by foot" or "left the car" etc

And almost all Android apps nowadays too, chock full with trackers, often up to 10 or more!
Of course we all know about those torchlight apps, needing access to contacts and internet, but that's only the tip of the tip of the iceberg. As example just a little collection, of email apps:
https://android.izzysoft.de/applists/category/named/network_emailapps

It's not by coincidence that Google makes such a bitter war against all smartphone OWNERS who DARE to try and escape a bit the 100% spying and selling. Google has full control of Android and can do what it wants with it, and that includes forcing manufacturers to also do what Google wants. Like when a few years ago their hidden permission manager (AppOps) was discovered in the system, and companies like Huawai dared to make it visible to users, Google simply forced them to REMOVE it again.
And when they finally did include a permission manager in stock Android, it was just a lie. They made sure at the same time that ALL apps then got full access to all networks, incl. mobile data and bluetooth etc., declaring this permission as completely "normal", not dangerous. And users could do nothing against it, that info was hidden from them. This makes perfect sense of course, the job of bugging devices is to spy as much as possible. And secretly, Google gave ALL apps even full access to all network logs, containing the full traffic data of all other apps too. Or also, at some point, continuing to make the permission system as useless and deceiving as possible, Google stopped showing users all permissions at installation time. From then on, they only got to see a few harmless permissions to confirm, but afterwards all apps could happily update themselves and pull lots more permissions, now without any notice anymore.
Or, of course SDcards are evil, allowing users too easily to exchange lots of data with their home computers. How dare they trying to rob even a bit of their personal data from Google! That must not be allowed, they must be made to upload just about everything onto cloud servers first, if they want to exchange files with their own other devices. So, lets try to abolish SDcards, and lets declare them completely out of fashion. And many followed, but not all. Some manufacturers still allowed users to have an SD-slot. So Google had to find another solution. Why, quite simple: just make it impossible to write and read it, let's block it by firmware! If absolutely must be, allow to store photos and videos, but nothing else. Especially not cross-access, for example to open a text file with a free editor, or edit an image with a free editor etc.
And most of all, bugging devices must of course make sure that their OWNER can't get any access to system files, for example daring to try and block some native trackers and trojans inside. So let's lock the phones OS down completely, out of factory. No chance for owners to get root access anymore, no chance to unlock bootloaders anymore, not even by experts knowing all tricks, and if they dare trying anyway, lets just destroy the whole phone. Yeah a few still allow unlocking, mostly by forcing people to create an account, and give them a working mail addy and your devices unique ID-numbers. But the trend is clear, step by step every year more stuff becomes blocked.

And of course, Microsoft as well. Windows machines have long since become pure bugging devices too, with other functions being only the bait for the prey. Therefore the owners must be made completely rightless too. Quite easy, just make it impossible to block any updates, for example to Win10. Let's declare this a little essential "security update" to fool people.

Or whatever, all the FORCED upates anywhere, of course in Desktop Chrome browser as well etc.
The only people who are always BLOCKED now are the owners, blocked from getting full access to their own devices, while the spy companies with remote access can do whatever they want to them.

And of course, nothing better as just control the whole money transfer, up to the last penny! Anonymous cash must be abolished by all means, since it helps escaping full 100% tracking, so it's all evil! Everyone must be made to pay only if recording his name, no exception. Of course, this process will take some time, and it's best introduced as sneakingly as possible. Step by step, a little new law here, another little law there, and with propaganda everywhere how great it is to pay everything everywhere only by card, so very simple, so very handy, so very safe. Have even read the European Union has given out advice papers to the governments how to best go about it, without the population becoming suspicious too early.

Oh yeah, and of course: "smart" home devices everywhere and for everything, listening permanently.
Even "smart" puppets, talking to little kids, recording all their little secrets at the other side of the world.
Or in Germany incredible new laws that in the future all electricity meters must be "smart" too, reporting via internet every hour or so (?) which devices are switched on... quite a goldmine too for certain people. Of course, this is merely meant to "help the environment" and "save money", by analzying possible waste...
And a bit back someone dared to go to court when his landlord insisted to place a fire warner in the middle of his living and sleeping rooms, at the ceiling, which is also forced by a new law - so far sounding harmless, but this very special device in this case included a microphone inside (can't remember if also a camera), and it will get remote controled from outside at any time! Plus RADAR included inside to make sure the poor renters cannot even dare to cover it, in at least 1m distance! Of course, the landlord claims the microphone were just fake, not functioning at all, and of course, that's also what the manufacturer claims. So, what did the judge say? Always expect the worse, and you'll always be right nowadays: He judged that this is perfectly okay! If the manufacturer claims the spying equipment wouldn't work, then it surely must be so. Period. Just very funny IMO that this supposedly fake stuff was so very important to the landlord, that he even fought at court to install it in his renters rooms.

And the german version of NSA is permanently listening the whole traffic on "the worldwide biggest internet node", which seems against the law, which is supposedly oh so privacy friendly. Only under very strict conditions and in special circumstances the state is allowed to watch innocent people in masses, and not more as a 20% share. So the company who runs that giant node (DE-CIX) went to court in 2018, and guess what, the judge simply ignored it and declared it okay, and blocked also all possibilities for revision. https://www.notebookcheck.com/BND-darf-weiter-Internetknoten-anzapfen.306254.0.html
While at occasions, where surveillance would actually help society, to catch criminals at known hot spots, it's strictly forbidden, phonily pretending "privacy" reasons. By the way even wildlife cameras deep in forests are forbidden too since awhile, a new law created around the time when wolfpacks were intruced again - of course also for "privacy reasons"! Only allowed now: position not higher as knee hight, not pointing towards any ways where possibly a human could walk by, NO automatic triggers to start filming, only one photo every 5 minutes etc.
There's no end to all the spying and phoniness...

Sorry, have read too many horror reports, it's just beyond bearable :-(

Edited by siria

11 hours ago, VistaLover said:

I don't actually see any new revelations there. That concern was already brought up by Mathwiz on August 29, 2019, who stated in his next post, "Despite the cautionary note I posted above, I still use Avast Free on my XP VM myself." I will continue to use Avast Free 18.8 on Vista for reasons already explained on the same page of this thread. According to the first sentence of your first link:

...the data that users opt-in to share, which purportedly is anonymized to mask their individual identities, includes granular insights that could help companies like Google and Microsoft learn a lot about you.

It's been about 6 months since I installed Avast, but I definitely did a custom install and probably did not opt in if there was such an option. In any case, if those companies studied my data very carefully, they would find that I never use this PC for banking or shopping, but spend a lot of time at MSFN and other forums. Of course if I was using Windows 10 and Chrome like most people, then companies like Google and Microsoft would no longer have to pay Avast for this valuable data, and it might become even harder to find a good free antivirus!

@VistaLover are you still using a Kaspersky 19.x product? At least in the United States, Kaspersky's popularity declined after news reports in October 2017 (see New N.S.A. Breach Linked to Popular Russian Antivirus Software). I understand that Kaspersky has moved its headquarters to Switzerland, perhaps in an effort to repair its image as Russian spyware.

If I was interested in paying for an antivirus for Vista, my current inclination would be Eset (see my January 19 post above) - in fact I have stored an installer just in case.