Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?

spacequakes

I would almost certainly be using Avast now if I could have got it working on my machine, but it absolutely refused to work, the main service would not start, cause unknown, so I ended up with Malwarebytes Premium, which I've been very happy with.
:)

• 2 weeks later...

On 9/1/2019 at 4:16 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

Comodo deserves consideration because they still support XP and Vista.

Oops! I came across this at https://help.comodo.com/topic-72-1-772-9552-CIS-Installation.html:

Note about Windows XP / Vista

• CIS v.12.0.0.6882 and above does not support Windows XP or Vista, period.
  • The containment and virtual desktop features haven’t worked on XP / Vista since CIS v.8.0 (2014). So even if you use an older CIS, you cannot take advantage of one of our strongest protection features.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2019 at 4:16 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

Not exactly an antivirus, but I wonder if anyone here is using Sandboxie 5.22 (the last version to support XP)? I just recently installed it on Vista (see this post).

I'm surprised that no XP enthusiasts in this thread are sandboxing their browser for added security. I have passed the 30-day point where nagging begins, but will continue to use the free version.

1906960022_SandboxieNag.JPG.22b7d1280c3acf781be05aa40f32327e.JPG

According to theiir main page, taht's not even illegal!

https://www.sandboxie.com/

Sophos is excited to announce that we are making Sandboxie a free tool, with plans to transition it to an open source tool.

This new evolution of Sandboxie is one we are enthusiastic about, but that does not mean this was an easy decision to make. Sandboxie has never been a significant component of Sophos’ business, and we have been exploring options for its future for a while.

Frankly, the easiest and least costly decision for Sophos would have been to simply end of life Sandboxie. However, we love the technology too much to see it fade away. More importantly, we love the Sandboxie community too much to do that. The Sandboxie user base represents some of the most passionate, forward thinking, and knowledgeable members of the security community and we didn’t want to let you down.

After thoughtful consideration we decided that the best way to keep Sandboxie going was to give it back to its users – transitioning it to an open source tool. We will release more information about the open source project as we continue to work on the details.

Until the open source transition is completed we have decided to make all restricted features of Sandboxie completely free.

3 hours ago, Mcinwwl said:

According to theiir main page, taht's not even illegal!

https://www.sandboxie.com/

They have indeed revised their main page recently; but Sandboxie 5.22 (signed Oct. 30, 2017) was the last version to support XP and is also the version I am using on Vista. It is also the only older version that is available for download at sandboxie.com. Your post inspired me to attempt to register 5.22, but https://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?RegisterSandboxie now redirects to the main page, where clicking Buy merely invites one to download the latest version that does not support XP. :wacko:

On 9/2/2019 at 6:33 AM, Dave-H said:

I would almost certainly be using Avast now if I could have got it working on my machine, but it absolutely refused to work, the main service would not start, cause unknown, so I ended up with Malwarebytes Premium, which I've been very happy with.

Ya know... I would probably be saying the same thing right now... but I kept at it. When I installed Avast, the default method... it installed everything it had. Bad move on their part, because it kept rendering my network unusable. I called their Premium Tech Support... and they basically told me XP is dead and I had better upgrade my OS. I told them I like XP, and I pay 30 people to use those 64bit windoze on 30 or so machines. I prefer XP. And so, if you want to use Avast on Windows XP, don't call the tech support.

What I did was select the custom Install option, and unselected everything. Then the installation went like it should have. There was a small problem getting new virus definitions, but I eventually got them. All in one night. They really are making it hard for us XP users.

I will say that I picked up 10 machine licenses for Avast for 34.98 I think. That's all Paypal is showing I paid.

Malwarebytes... would have cost $400 for 10 machines. They do not appear to have a phone number you can call, in the event you need to talk to someone in the company. Avast does. I called it even though I was using the Free product. (Sure they were $1/hour Filipinos, but they seem to have been trained.)

Edited by johnrw

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2019 at 12:33 PM, Dave-H said:

In my offline Windows XP machine i use Malwarebytes 2.2.1.1043 and i use another computer to download the updates "Rules".

The latest rules is from 17 October , it seems they stopped updating it via side loading, how do you manage to update your Malwarebytes?

I used to use this link:

http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_rules

Edited by Queroexperimentar

Malwarebytes Free 2.2.1.1043 is also known for a fact to be working online: I just updated to database v2019.12.06.08. However, for 5 months or more @Queroexperimentar has been inquiring about something for an XP system that is kept offline, and it sounds like Malwarebytes might not be the solution. Maybe try Avast 18.8 (or AVG 18.8, which is practically the same thing), but I have not investigated offline updates.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, sonicenforce said:

My Norton 2002 screenshot made in 2020

I learned on page 13 of this thread that Norton is not very popular among the local Windows XP diehards - but if anyone was interested in using Norton on XP, there is no need to resort to a 2002 version.

See Norton Maintenance Mode for Windows XP and Windows Vista.