Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?

spacequakes

On 7/5/2019 at 9:09 AM, Queroexperimentar said:

It´s strange because it passes almost a month now since i ran the update files and it keeps saying that updates are current.

I ask also if that 2 files ".exe" i ran, in fact have updated it´s virus definitions ...

there is a workaround with a hotfix. in the forum is a thread of mine. Non-SSE2-Hotfix see attached file from forum over there. link to hotfix can be found there. its Malwarebytes_2.1.8_SSE2_Hotfix.zip
was very surprised about the speed of response.
If needed i can add full instructions downwards. Maybe somebody can find the link to the forum-thread over there. I could also attach the hotfix if allowed. link  needed since Malwarebytes 2.2.1 is also needed. app, hotfix and instructions
Malwarebytes 2.2.1 is highest to use with SSE-PC. 

Precisely do what is recommended. Dont panic slowly do it step by step its easy.
I would deactivate/closing/finishing in tray Clamwin or whatever AV you are using when scanning with MWB AKA MBAN,
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As Antiransomware the only working one is Sophos Virus Removal Tool
all are free.

MWB_NON-SSE2-HOTFIX.txt

Edited by 3dreal

On 7/5/2019 at 8:55 AM, OldSchool38 said:

Is there a good tutorial out there for ClamSentinel?  I recall trying it years ago and didn't get very far with it.

built in help helped, only important thing is how to setup whitelist. false positives can be unblocked.

On 7/8/2019 at 2:40 AM, Queroexperimentar said:

This version of Malwarebytes is only for malware or is an anti-virus to, like recent versions?

On 7/8/2019 at 4:04 AM, heinoganda said:

The older version of Malwarebytes (v2) is for malware only. That's why I use Avast Free Antivirus and MBAM v2.2.1.1043.

:)

What do you two believe is the difference between anti-malware and anti-virus software? Malware is just "bad software you don't want on your PC," and a virus is a type of malware, is it not?

1 hour ago, Mathwiz said:

What do you two believe is the difference between anti-malware and anti-virus software? Malware is just "bad software you don't want on your PC," and a virus is a type of malware, is it not?

I chuckled at this :rolleyes:

For me, the combination of interest, especially since both have their own definition. I do not care if both provide reasonable protection, whether it's a virus or a malware. Ultimately, it was about an offline update of MBAM 3.5, which is not provided to my knowledge yet.

:)

Well, we went over the question before:

On 6/12/2019 at 10:04 AM, mo832 said:

I have an "elementary" question but would like some thoughts from you folks because I haven't ever gotten the concept...

What is the difference between malware/ransomware/virus/worm?

What is are the requirements to be considered anti-malware or anti-virus?

Why do we make a distinction, why do we care what it's called, shouldn't we just protect against any "unwanted bad stuff"?

@dencorso replied:

On 6/12/2019 at 11:42 AM, dencorso said:

In short:

• malware is any "unwanted bad stuff";
  • virus is a type of "unwanted bad stuff" that reproduces itself, without outside help;
  • ransomware is a type of "unwanted bad stuff" which encrypts one's files (usually just .doc(x)/,xls(x)/.pdf/.jp(e)g) and asks for money to restore (?) them;

There's much more, trojans/worms/internet bombs/etc.

That's basically what I understood the words to mean too, so any "anti-malware" would also be an "anti-virus" by definition. But then I saw the posts I quoted above, which implied otherwise....

Maybe the confusion arose because there are programs that are more specialized, like Spybot S&D, and Windows Defender (at least pre-Win 10) that try to protect against spyware (a particular type of malware) but not other types of malware like viruses. These came about because early anti-virus programs ignored spyware, so these programs were developed to fill in the gap.

But AFAIK, anti-malware programs try to protect against both spyware and viruses.

14 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

So, this way an anti-virus is a generic program that only catch or try to... a virus code.

Anti-malware is an all terrain program that keeps track of all bad stuff!

That´s teory but, want to know in practice?

Does Malwarebytes the anti-malware engine catch viruses like Mydoom "W32.MyDoom@mm"?

Better this way:

Does Malwarebytes even the V2 is able to have same kind of protection than using the MSE?

Edited by Queroexperimentar

1 hour ago, dencorso said:

Introduction

Malwarebytes for Windows ("Malwarebytes") is an "AV replacement." It is not an AV. It does not incorporate the same old engine for file-infectors and other malware that you find in a typical AV or Internet security suite, the large and inefficient library of signatures, or the bloatware features which are becoming more prevalent.

You don't need to pay for a traditional AV anymore! At Malwarebytes, we have always approached things differently and, as many people know based on their own positive experience with Malwarebytes finding and remediating malware that gets past AVs, we know a thing or two about zero-day malware and their infection tactics. We have always believed that no one product can do it all, and the free AV that comes with modern operating systems, in conjunction with Malwarebytes is all you will ever need.

In today's modern threat world, bad guys have learned how to evade AV protection, making it more important than ever before to be able to disrupt attacks in as many different stages of the attack chain as possible. Malwarebytes, layered with the AV (which is the default mode) or as your stand-alone defense, is the most effective approach against modern threats. And if all else fails, you need the best remediation technology available.

Malwarebytes has been engineered to provide the most effective layered approach of prevention, detection and remediation technologies:

1.Application hardening, to make them more resilient against attacks.

2.Anti-exploit technology, to shield applications from vulnerability exploits (currently one of the top infection vectors).

3.Application Behavior Enforcement, an advanced and signature-less technology which prevents common infection vectors (e.g. web & email based social engineering).

4.Anti-ransomware, a signature-less technology designed to behaviorally detect ransomware.

5.Revamped Anti-Malware and Web Blocking engines, offering more aggressive detection techniques.

6.Hardened and modular architecture design, allowing seamless integration of new detection and protection technologies in the future.

7.Highly effective as always in malware remediation, an often overlooked part of the protection stack.

8.Ability to run as primary protection (no AV) or secondary protection (alongside existing AV).

9.Engineered to be our next corporate endpoint client, providing major improvements to our endpoint management capabilities and new enterprise-focused offerings

10.Last but not least, our Research Team has been growing and adapting lately, with notable additions to the lineup from JRT and AdwCleaner, our new aggressive stance against PUPs, as well as new R&D technologies which we will be unveiling shortly.

Welcome to the Malwarebytes User Guide!

Edited by dencorso
Ipsis litteris quotes ought to be inside quotes' boxes!

FWIW, here's what Malwarebytes considers the difference between the two:

What’s the difference between antivirus and anti-malware?

For the most part, “antivirus” and “anti-malware” mean the same thing. They both refer to software designed to detect, protect against, and remove malicious software. Contrary to what the name might suggest, antivirus software protects against more than viruses–it just uses a slightly antiquated name to describe what it does. Anti-malware software is designed to protect against viruses too. Anti-malware just uses a more modern name that encompasses all kinds of malicious software, including viruses. That being said, anti-malware can stop a viral infection form happening and remove infected files. However, anti-malware isn’t necessarily equipped to restore files that have been changed or replaced by a virus. Both antivirus and anti-malware fall under the broader term “cybersecurity.”

It appears Malwarebytes is using the term virus to refer specifically to a piece of code that reproduces by incorporating itself into an application program such as Microsoft Word. Thus, the virus gets run (and has a chance to spread again) whenever the infected program (Word or whatever) is run.

So I would say that MBAM is complete protection, with one exception: if you are unfortunate enough to be infected by a "traditional" virus, MBAM will remove the infected file (winword.exe) but cannot repair it. You would have to reinstall Word and any other programs that had been infected by the virus. However MBAM would likely stop the virus before it had a chance to spread and damage other programs on your PC.

That said, "traditional" viruses are rarer nowadays, as their method of spreading from one machine to another (via an infected program transferred on a floppy disk, email, or a USB thumb drive) has also become rarer, and more difficult for a virus to pull off in any case, due to innovations like digital signatures. Most of what we call viruses today are actually "worms," which spread from machine to machine on their own, without waiting for you to give someone an infected copy of a program on your machine.

On 7/10/2019 at 3:46 AM, Queroexperimentar said:

Does Malwarebytes the anti-malware engine catch viruses like Mydoom "W32.MyDoom@mm"? 

Mydoom is a worm, not a traditional virus, although since it spreads as an email attachment, it does require the user to click on and run it in order to infect your PC. Since it doesn't incorporate itself into other programs, I would expect Malwarebytes to be able to remove it without requiring you to reinstall any software.

Spybot S&D vs. Avast

Is Avast spyware? Spybot S&D seems to think so; it adds the following entries to your hosts file to prevent access by name:

www.download-avast.com
download-avast.com
www.telecharger-avast.com
telecharger-avast.com

Avast, for its part, immediately removes those entries from your hosts file right after Spybot S&D adds them, so it seems to want them to be accessible. However, I haven't seen any connection attempts to those host names in the past couple of days, so it doesn't seem to actively use them :huh:

Edit: Avast lists download-avast.com as a fraudulent seller: https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/26, so you'd think they wouldn't want it opened up! Maybe the program just foolishly removes all host names ending in "avast.com" from hosts. I think I'll block these sites via the ProxHTTPSProxyMII config file; Spybot S&D has already configured my "traditional" browsers (IE, FF) to block them.

Edit 2: Looks like the above sites have all been taken down anyhow, so I guess it's a moot point.

Edited by Mathwiz

What’s the difference between antivirus and anti-malware?

FWIW, here's what Malwarebytes considers the difference between the two:

Well, now that the poor dead horse has been beaten to a pulp, minced and ground, on top of it, what should we do?
Horse-hamburgers or horse-nuggets? Or maybe spaghetti al sugo with horse-meatballs? :unsure:

On 7/1/2019 at 6:32 PM, Usher said:

I tried to use similar changes for Windows Defender in XP (using only AS signatures) and added:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WIndows Defender\Signature Updates]
"ASSignatureDue"=dword:0000016d

…but it didn't work.

Then I have changed another value:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Signature Updates]
"ASSignatureApplied"=hex:d0,b7,16,db,25,30,d5,01

…which contains LDAP timestamp - and it works! So for Windows Defender it's enough to set current LDAP timestamp there and update it when needed.

I had to restart Windows XP with both registry entries added and Windows Defender displayed yellow "!" again. So I updated ASSignatureApplied value, opened Defender GUI and it worked once again. Now I remove ASSignatureDue value and try to keep this PC without restart for longer time…