Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?

spacequakes

7 hours ago, CRK said:

never thought KAV Free Antivirus was going to work in XP, saw in other forum recomendation to install on XP Sp3, downloaded and installed version 19.0 it's working fantastic so far.. :-)

untitled.JPG

.Net Framework 4 or later is listed among the requirements. Do you have .Net Framework 4 installed or is Kaspersky Free working without it?

I never installed any version of .Net Framework on XP. Don't want to start now.

12 minutes ago, antiproton said:

.Net Framework 4 or later is listed among the requirements. Do you have .Net Framework 4 installed or is Kaspersky Free working without it?

since long time ago i got 1.1 , 2.0 SP2,  3.0 SP2 and 4 installed. nowadays many app requires .net

i didn't look for further details about requirements, you could try installing it without .net and check

4 hours ago, CRK said:

forget about MSE since you can't update it so it's useless, what's the point for keeping it??

While I agree that an AV that still gets regular updates is preferable, MSE is nonetheless better than no AV at all. Any malware included in the last working definitions file will still be detected and dealt with.

Of course, but why carry on using an obsolete security program when there are other free security programs available which are still compatible and still receiving definition updates?
:dubbio:

Well, I was a registered user of AVG, from incept time till they were taken over by Avast!
Up to that point, I was able to run AVG 9 on 98SE and AVG2011 on XP.
Those were the last sensible versions they've produced for each OS, IMO, and weren't overly paranoid.
After the Avast! takeover they stopped providing the definition files for those old versions, even for those users who had already paid-in-full multiyear subscriptions, which was my case (my 3 last licences expired this year!), so I moved over to MSE, rather than using their horribly bloated latest (at that time) product, and wished they rot in hell. I didn't change opinion about them, up to now.
ESET32, if I understood right, will nag even registered users to update (beyond the last version that works on XP), which I consider a deal breaker. 
The former Norton products I won't touch with a 10 ft pole, after the takeover by Symantec.
What does remain? Just Clam-AV? :dubbio:

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Of course, but why carry on using an obsolete security program when there are other free security programs available which are still compatible and still receiving definition updates? :dubbio:

I generally agree - after all, that's what I've done myself. But the remaining free offerings tend to be either heavy in terms of resource use, or else they lack important features like real-time scanning.

There may be other concerns too. Kaspersky is, of course, Russian; after all we've learned in the past few years, it's reasonable to wonder whether they might be required to leave a few holes for the "Internet Research Agency" to exploit.

So if one has older, less powerful hardware (which might be why they're sticking with XP in the first place), it might be reasonable to resort to a combination of MSE and an on-demand scanner like MalwareBytes free version.

There's always a situation where what sounds crazy to you and me makes sense to someone else.

Edited by Mathwiz

On 6/7/2019 at 7:52 PM, dencorso said:

Well, I've tested it until today, and finding it works OK for me, too, have just bought the license to have it permanently in premium mode.
I've kept MSE, however, because MBAM doesn't require the removal and it remains capable of detecting all that was known to the last definitions file. Moreover, as you all have posted, removing it seems to be a PITA, and I'm not in the mood for such a experience these days. Thanks for the suggestion, @Dave-H! You do rock! :thumbup
And thanks for all who posted here till now, besides Dave. All your posts helped me a lot in deciding what to do.
It's wonderful to belong to such a helpful and knowledgeable coummunity! :cheerleader:

I'm running a registered MBAM 3.5.1.2522 (thus with real-time scanning) and the old MSE 4.4.304.0 with the 1.293.2807.0, which seem to me to be a tight enough security, at this point.  And I've just added @Ben Markson's cosmetic fix, just to keep the icon green, for the sake of my tired eyes...  :D

17 hours ago, Ben Markson said:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Signature Updates]
"ASSignatureDue"=dword:0000016d
"AVSignatureDue"=dword:0000016d

On 6/14/2019 at 10:23 PM, dencorso said:

I'm running a registered MBAM 3.5.1.2522 (thus with real-time scanning) and the old MSE 4.4.304.0 with the 1.293.2807.0, which seem to me to be a tight enough security, at this point.  And I've just added @Ben Markson's cosmetic fix, just to keep the icon green, for the sake of my tired eyes...  :D

how do you add @Ben Markson's cosmetic fix? i've tried to change the value in regedit in normal and safe mode but it won't let me :( 

Edited by cephead

On 6/14/2019 at 5:01 PM, antiproton said:

Same here but I've found all the decent, small footprint anti-virus programs that report or are listed as still WinXP compatible require the most up to date MS .Net Framework 4 version to install. I wanted to keep everything as small as possible as it is a VM installation on a relatively small SSD primary drive. 

I tried Panda Free as it has had good-ish reviews and duly uninstalled MSE only to find that the installer would not work without an up to date MS .NET Framework 4 install as well. Worse: in uninstalling MSE, despite putting in a restore point beforehand I've found I've now lost what were the last AV definitions entirely and MSE went red showing my XP VM as unprotected and no way to get them back AKAIK.

I do have other security products running including some measure of active protection but I've had to bite the bullet and install  MS .NET Framework 4 on my XP VM just so I can install a new AV. I've not done that yet so do not know if the Panda installer will now work OK.

There were about 20 updates required for MS .NET Framework 4 to get it all up to date and, surprisingly, once I got Windows Updates working on the XP VM and despite it having been updated with a what was supposed to be a comprehensive WinXP update disc, at install three years ago, there were even some other XP "important" updates to install as well.

I'm going to leave it now for the day before trying to install another AV to replace MSE. I will be mighty peeved if after all the time spent trying to get this annoyance fixed has been wasted. 

3 hours ago, cephead said:

how do you add @Ben Markson's cosmetic fix? i've tried to change the value in regedit in normal and safe mode but it won't let me :( 

Right-click the reg key Signature Updates and go into Permissions... give yourself Full Control, then you should be able to change the entries inside.

Ben.

Installed Panda Free AV on my XP VM and all so far so good.

I still had to update MS .Net Framework 4 again as part of the install process to what appeared be described as an extended version (because of XP?) but once that was done it took less than 5 minutes to get it up and running.

You do have to register an account but that is pretty standard for anything like this and there were a few opt outs that needed to be ticked during install but that's about it. Final Program Files folder size is under 120MB although there may be other normally 'hidden' Panda folders in AppData and ProgramData etc. 

The GUI is simple enough and although it includes totally unwanted info about how many files have or are being scanned and threats blocked I can live with that. I've just had it going on in the background for an hour or so today, longer than I use the VM normally anyway, and, as said, so far no unwanted 'extras' have appeared to blight the experience.

Only thing I have noticed is that my XP VM takes a little more time than usual to both shutdown and restart but I am only using 1GB of dedicated RAM so I'm used to things taking considerably longer than on the host machine.

So just to confirm, as long as MS .Net Framework is installed, and up to date, Panda Free works with XP 32bit SP3.

Edited by WalksInSilence

On 6/4/2019 at 3:53 PM, Windows 2000 said:

I have been using Symantec Endpoint Protection since 2010. It has never let me down nor did it ever let even a single virus on my PC. It always caught everything.

Version 12.1 RU6 MP10 is the last supported on Windows XP but the virus definitions for it will be updated at least until 2021.

Check it out. It really is worth it.

On 6/6/2019 at 1:43 PM, assenort said:

I too use Symantec Endpoint Protection (Client) version 12.1.6 on one of my WinXP machines. It is very heavy on the hardware, but is also very reliable and relatively easy to configure. Updates will be coming for at least one more year from now.

We use SEP at my workplace. Unfortunately I've found it to be way too paranoid, triggering on various files from @roytam1's browser builds, for instance. This is a problem because if one of his browsers truly were infected by malware, you'd ignore it thinking it was just another false positive!

It's probably a good AV for someone who only runs well-known software, but I think it'd be too much of a hassle for most of the folks in this forum.

I know we are most likely done with constantly trying to hack/patch MSE to keep using it...... but I have to say, I miss the constant and wise, comforting presence of heinoganda :( :(