Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?

spacequakes

6 hours ago, sal here said:

Thanks for the links :)

Yeah, its very basic with not much in the way of setting. And actually, on the UI there is a contact button that does nothing (when you click it, it takes you to a 404 page not found) Lol. Reading over those forums, might be better to keep looking.

I am using Avast version 12.3.2280 released about a year and a half ago I am not very keen on the later versions.

On my other computer win7 pro I am using Panda free which is very light and has a pretty good malware-detection scores.

Still support winxp. I strongly recommend it. 

cheers

• 8 months later...

• dencorso changed the title to After MSE Game Over: Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of May 2019?

I have been using Symantec Endpoint Protection since 2010. It has never let me down nor did it ever let even a single virus on my PC. It always caught everything.

Version 12.1 RU6 MP10 is the last supported on Windows XP but the virus definitions for it will be updated at least until 2021.

Check it out. It really is worth it.

I tried out Panda, AVG and Avast (the last two are pretty much the same) and they all have versions for Windows XP which will not have any more program updates, but will receive definition updates for the foreseeable future.

I couldn't get Avast to work on my main machine, but it works fine on my netbook.
Apparently some XP systems won't work with it, the cause seems to be unknown!
The free version has replaced MSE on my netbook.

I'm using Malwarebytes 3.5.1 on the XP side of my main machine, and that works fine.
This also should continue to receive definition updates, but the free version doesn't include realtime scanning.

It's annoying to use two different systems on my two XP installations, but as I said Avast wouldn't work on my main machine, and installing the full version of Malwarebytes on my netbook would have cost extra, as the basic fee (to get real time scanning) only covers one machine.
:)

Malwarebytes v3.5.1.2522 is the last working version for XP/Vista users and it's the best compromise between scan quality (far superior to MSE) and resources usage. The downside is the missing of an anti-ransomware module for XP/Vista system.

v2.2.1.1043 is suggested with old processors using same definitions updates.

Comodo was working last time I used it.  The upgrade to v11 seemed to slow it down a bit.

Edit:  There are three XP stations I currently have on the bench for friends.  In each case, I've removed MSE, and just opted for Malwarebytes v1.75 (with current definitions)

Edited by Jody Thornton

On 6/4/2019 at 1:53 PM, mo832 said:

1. Does Avast work with XP? And is it reasonable with resources consumed?

2. Does anyone have an opinion and/or experience with Panda Antivirus free?

Perhaps y'all missed this post but I am still eager to learn about these options. Thanks to everyone for any comments :)

I'm using the last version of Avast Free AV for XP (18.8.2356) on my netbook.
There are some XP systems it won't work on for some undiagnosed reason, it won't work on my main machine, but on the netbook it's fine.
Avast say it will continue to get definition updates for the foreseeable future.

I did try Panda on my main machine a year or so ago, and it did have some problems, although again there is still supposed to be a legacy XP compatible version.
Basically, I suspect that either of them would work for you unless you're unlucky like I was.
Just try the free versions. If they don't work properly, just uninstall them and try something else!
:yes:

@Dave-H 

Does either of these two have low resources strain (especially less than MSE when it did the daily background update) ?

Do you have any other suggestions for a good substitute that is free, effective, and light system drag?

4 minutes ago, mo832 said:

@Dave-H 

Does either of these two have low resources strain (especially less than MSE when it did the daily background update) ?

Do you have any other suggestions for a good substitute that is free, effective, and light system drag?

Well my netbook is a pretty feeble machine, and Avast free doesn't seem to cripple it!
Malwarebytes is good by reputation for being light on resources, and again there is a legacy XP compatible version (3.5.1) which I'm using on my main machine as I couldn't get Avast to work there.
The snag with MB is that the free version only does on demand manual scanning, not real-time scanning, if you want real-time protection you have to pay for a subscription.
:)