Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?

spacequakes

@Vistaboy

It all comes down to the user. A user has complete control over the vulnerabilities of a machine.

I can infect a Windows 10 machine in under 5 minutes. Just like there is no guarantee against terrorism, no version of Windows is 100% secure.

This is exactly the message that needs to be widespread, and i'm sure that on MSFN there are really great security experts (without needing to do silly humor), but it is public forum and i think it's better to alert people rather than saying don't worry because if you stay at your home and you know what you are doing there's no need of AV but in several public institution (schools, hospitals, municipalities) you really can't imagine how many hundreds of pc I've seen with XP (not even embedded) connected to the network with people that do everything.  

Edited by Vistaboy

If your computers are in a puplic setting they should be locked down hard with AD so the end user cannot do anything.  I would even go as far as locking their images down with EWF so nothing can be written to the disks.  And any personal files should be stored on a networked drive.  You don't get virus that way.

Edited by Destro

@Vistaboy

I realize this is a public forum, but at what point do we hold people responsible for their own actions? Are we going to dictate what people are going to run on their computers? Are we going to outlaw classic cars because they don't have seatbelts? A car without seatbelts is more likely to kill you than Windows XP without updates.

People need to make decisions without hand holding. They are not absolved of personal responsibility just because information is public. We are turning into a nanny culture. It's a free country here in the US, and people need to realize there are consequences for everything you do in life.

98% current exploit kits doesnot work on XP!! . My theory , more old is your sytem  you are less affected .

In this week's 97 exclusive exploit are found for Windows 7 to 10 . Microsoft doesnot wants to consider these as vulnerability that means they will not patch . All of these security leaks are more severe than NSA eternal romance. Where you live in @Vistaboy? A insecure world right?

Fell like it's worth mentioning here that theres an add on for firefox called No Script.  https://noscript.net/

And to be totally obvious about this peice of software is that It hardens Firefox attack serfice so hard that you cannot even view most web pages properly until u set up whitelists.  Like if you only use firefox and no script it is impossible to get a virus browsing a web page.  That means the only way your getting a virus is to download somthing and click it.  That is pretty much your own stupidity at that point. For not scanning the file for virus.  You could get a virus through email, but probably not webmail.  And only from an attachment again you are clicking things. 

Addblock Plus + Noscript + HTTPs Everywhere + maybe ghostery.  You are secure.  Very.

Edited by Destro

• 8 months later...

Just ran ClamWin (portable), took forever to scan entire system, only found 2 culprits. Not bad, I'm impressed.

C:\DELL\Drivers\R112439\Ethernet\nvtcp.sys: Win.Trojan.Agent-429181 FOUND
C:\Documents and Settings\DELL\My Documents\Downloads\ClamWinPortable\Data\quarantine\nvtcp.sys.infected: Win.Trojan.Agent-429181 FOUND
C:\Documents and Settings\DELL\My Documents\Downloads\rkill.exe: Win.Trojan.Agent-6473689-0 FOUND

Must not need that driver all that bad, still chuggin' along here.

I won't likely go with real time. AVG and Avast really slows things down too much.

A little concerned about that dell driver R112439; I couldn't care less about rkill, just deleted it. I can't even see that driver in use on my system though, but I'm not sure if I've checked everywhere and in all the right place to know for certain.

Ran a scan today again just out of paranoia (oops... I mean to be cautious lol), and got the same results already in quarantine.

C:\Documents and Settings\DELL\My Documents\Downloads\ClamWinPortable\Data\quarantine\nvtcp.sys.infected: Win.Trojan.Agent-429181 FOUND
C:\Documents and Settings\DELL\My Documents\Downloads\ClamWinPortable\Data\quarantine\rkill.exe.infected: Win.Trojan.Agent-6473689-0 FOUND

is anyone here familiar with this one?

Maybe ClamWin of overzealous, because no other scanner was picking this one up, both - Malwarebytes and Comodo come up completely clean.

Edited by sal here
Typo

2 hours ago, sal here said:

A little concerned about that dell driver R112439; I couldn't care less about rkill, just deleted it. I can't even see that driver in use on my system though, but I'm not sure if I've checked everywhere and in all the right place to know for certain.

Ran a scan today again just out of paranoia (oops... I mean to be cautious lol), and got the same results already in quarantine.

C:\Documents and Settings\DELL\My Documents\Downloads\ClamWinPortable\Data\quarantine\rkill.exe.infected: Win.Trojan.Agent-6473689-0 FOUND

is anyone here familiar with this one?

Maybe ClamWin of overzealous, because no other scanner was picking this one up, both - Malwarebytes and Comodo come up completely clean.

You're probably fine. Although I suppose anything is possible.