Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?

spacequakes

On 11/18/2017 at 5:43 AM, Destro said:

Fell like it's worth mentioning here that theres an add on for firefox called No Script.  https://noscript.net/

And to be totally obvious about this peice of software is that It hardens Firefox attack serfice so hard that you cannot even view most web pages properly until u set up whitelists.  Like if you only use firefox and no script it is impossible to get a virus browsing a web page.  That means the only way your getting a virus is to download somthing and click it.  That is pretty much your own stupidity at that point. For not scanning the file for virus.  You could get a virus through email, but probably not webmail.  And only from an attachment again you are clicking things. 

Addblock Plus + Noscript + HTTPs Everywhere + maybe ghostery.  You are secure.  Very.

I use uBlock Origin & NoScript. I ditched HTTPs Everywhere and use NoScript for that as well. Pretty safe and private browsing.  Configured Pale Moon with the tor settings for extra security. I use the autoproxy plugin too because I use Tor and I2P. Don't need a virus scanner and haven't used one in years.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 3:41 AM, Dibya said:

I am using latest ESET nod32 for some time . It is so lightweight. I am really impressed. I never recommend any AV but I can't do same for this one .

ESET's current antivirus appear about as lightwieght as Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 with the Endpoint control options turned-off.  It should be noted that current Kaspersky products for Home users are no longer decent, as they now require Microsoft .NET Framework.

On Thursday, July 26, 2018 at 12:34 AM, Dibya said:

Yes version 11

@Dibya - Can you confirm whether you believe that your ability to use ESET NOD32 Antivirus 11 series is due to your compatibility updates?

On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 2:59 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

I thought version 9.x was the last to support XP (https://support.eset.com.tr/kb358/). You are using version 11?

I recommend the following pages to determine current version numbers and, support status, and official Windows XP support:
ESET Home Products End-of-Life Policy: https://support.eset.com/kb3678/
ESET Business Products End-of-Life Policy:  https://support.eset.com/kb3592/

Also, ESET Endpoint Antivirus appears to be intended by ESET to support Windows XP with Service Pack 3 for a longer time than its ESET NOD32 branded products.

Edited by Ascii2

@PROBLEMCHYLD Tor? When you use TOR you are blindly trusting some unknown people to get access to internet. If you access to sensible data while you are proxed with TOR, it's likely your data is gonna be stolen. I would recommend TOR to access to the deep web or to surf internet without logging into any site. Whenever you log in, you are sending your data over the net and when you use TOR you use someone else computer or server to access internet. Many people have been sniffing packages sent by users using TOR by hosting a TOR server themselves. I would recommend a normal VPN. I personally use NordVPN. It's kinda cheap, reliable, it doesn't store your payment details, it doesn't seel your data and it also offers you the option to have the traffic scanned by their antivirus installed in their server which could also block commercials (like a built-in ad block).

- Avast AV

- Comodo FW v5.12 (used to use OnlineArmor which was excellent but it had a glitch on my new XP build)

- SAS v5.6 & Malwarebytes v1.75

- NoScript browser addon

- Windscribe VPN browser add-on (which also has a rotating user agent feature) and hides your system in the crowd

(see browserleaks & panopitclick)

Obviously nothing can beat safe browsing as has already been stated ie which site you go on and what you download

The rise of audio fingerprinting is a concern......

Good Luck

Edited by risk_reversal

9 hours ago, FranceBB said:

@PROBLEMCHYLD Tor? When you use TOR you are blindly trusting some unknown people to get access to internet. If you access to sensible data while you are proxed with TOR, it's likely your data is gonna be stolen. I would recommend TOR to access to the deep web or to surf internet without logging into any site. Whenever you log in, you are sending your data over the net and when you use TOR you use someone else computer or server to access internet. Many people have been sniffing packages sent by users using TOR by hosting a TOR server themselves. I would recommend a normal VPN. I personally use NordVPN. It's kinda cheap, reliable, it doesn't store your payment details, it doesn't seel your data and it also offers you the option to have the traffic scanned by their antivirus installed in their server which could also block commercials (like a built-in ad block).

I never use Tor to login. Just surf the web and nothing more. After being a victim of identity theft, I move very carefully on the net. No social media accounts, use prepaid phones when email accounts wants verification, all email accounts under pseudonym, no banking... Nothing on the net besides my ip address has my government name is why I use tor. My ISP changes my address every couple of months. All the extra software like malware, virus scanners etc.. didn't prevent anything. It gives people a false sense of security, (like myself in the past). I have been Malware and virus free for some time now without the extra bloat. A good firewall and common sense is all one needs. I also dual- boot Linux.

P.S.

Lycos mail has locked me out of my account unless I pay a subscription fee. All is lost but I'm ok with that.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Panda free

https://www.pandasecurity.com/usa/homeusers/solutions/free-antivirus/

Compatible with: Windows 10, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP (SP3 or later)

I have been using for a while on my other computer Win 7 pro 64bits and it seems to be pretty good.

On XP I have been using an older version of Avast 12.3.2280. Today I asked Avast forum "Will the last stable version of Avast that supports WinXP be available to download from avast forum/site after January 2019 ?"

MartinZ responded "yes, it will still be possible after Jan 2019 to download the online installer and install it on 17-year old Windows XP/Vista. It will install the version 18.x. If you use the same installer on Windows 10 it will install version 19.x.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=220639.0

I assume, in this thread, people are inquiring about real-time antivirus software for XP. They slow they system down to the point of being a miserable experience, so I'm only using on demand scanning. Have MBAM installed (and set to start up automatically with Windows), seem to delay startup by 25 seconds (as apposed to set to not start with Windows - and the service disabled).

Comodo Cleaning Essentials and https://www.avira.com/en/downloads PC Cleaner seems to work as well. Once the database downloaded, you should be able to copy the cleaner folder from your local temp folder and you have it forever (right click on the shortcut it creates and find target - copy folder and save elsewhere)

I think anti virus software is overrated. I never use it on any of my legacy systems and have never been infected.

If anything, I think anti virus software encourages reckless behavior because it gives a false sense of security.

1 hour ago, sdfox7 said:

... it gives a false sense of security.

That's so true.

Most malware can be detected manually. There are also some advanced spying programs like project sauron that hide themselves using advanced methods. These are harder to detect manually but are not detected by antivirus anyway. :P

Edited by hotnuma

Hey all..

I Just wanted to say, I've been using Skyshield Antivirus; and 'so far - so good'. I saw it was updated reading another website (not sure if I'm allowed to link on here), Came up on softpedia under antivirus category as updated August 6 so I gave it a shot, and so far, it doesn't noticeably slow performance very much at all for (supposed) real-time monitoring. I say that, because, I'm unsure it isn't actually just scheduled scanning the computer. Simple interface though. I understand its mainly a reconfigured Clam Antivirus wearing a different suit.

Anyone else using it? Know anything about it?

22 hours ago, sal here said:

Hey all..

I Just wanted to say, I've been using Skyshield Antivirus; and 'so far - so good'. I saw it was updated reading another website (not sure if I'm allowed to link on here), Came up on softpedia under antivirus category as updated August 6 so I gave it a shot, and so far, it doesn't noticeably slow performance very much at all for (supposed) real-time monitoring. I say that, because, I'm unsure it isn't actually just scheduled scanning the computer. Simple interface though. I understand its mainly a reconfigured Clam Antivirus wearing a different suit.

Anyone else using it? Know anything about it?

This might help you.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/skyshield-av.364456/

https://malwaretips.com/threads/skyshield-antivirus.27660/

Cheers

Thanks for the links :)

Yeah, its very basic with not much in the way of setting. And actually, on the UI there is a contact button that does nothing (when you click it, it takes you to a 404 page not found) Lol. Reading over those forums, might be better to keep looking.