Windows XP - Deepest Impressions

Jody Thornton

So I've read some of the posts on this thread, and my two cents is.

Going onto a Windows XP thread to "espouse" the reasons people should upgrade to a new version of Windows is trollish.

It's like going to a classic car meet for '50s Corvettes or '60s Mustangs, and telling people they should upgrade to the latest model. It's ridiculous because the advice is unsolicited and unwanted.

9 hours ago, JodyT said:

I'm not trolling.  You get to expouse your opinions, and so do I.  What you're saying is if I express an opinion opposite to yours, then that's trolling?  My lord, what you're describing then is pack mentality or club house mentality.  That's not fair.  You are free to state that Windows 8 and 10 are crap without hesitation, but I'm not allowed to say critical things about XP?  Why is that?  Especially in a thread set up to allow that,

Look just above what Dibya writes:

After  so I gonna  complete  your words.  JodyT  stop speaking  this meaning less things. XPX64 beats 8x64 like a lion roars up on a cat and make it loose it sense.  I fact it is im possible to beat memory routine of xp .  Same for xp x86.  XP is legend and nothing becomes legend for luck. Man say me why 8 never got too popular.  It has millions of draw backs.  I know you can fix it with  3rd party fixes but it is not perfect of its own.

Notice he says it as fact.  Now I don't agree with that (nor do many experts).  Besides, this thread was set aside for just this purpose.  We can either debate intelligently, or you can hurl comments like "Stop saying these things".  You mustn't choose to be personally offended.  All your doing is making me out to be a bad guy when I am only fairly expressing my opinion.

Ya JodyT thats the definition of trolling. When you go to an XP forum, and make a controversial thread knowing that it will get response that is counter to yours in advance of time.  The pretend that you have o clue what you are doing.   What exactly did you expect was going to happen?  It is like If I went to Ford Mustang forum and made a post like Ford is s*** guys you should be driving a Chevy.   You know d*** well what kinda response I am going to get.  I am pretty sure you are not that unaware.  If you are that is very sad.  It is perfectly fair.

I am free to state windows 8 10 blah blah is trash etc?  Ok JodyT you are the one that opened the can of worms.  Sure I am free to say whatever I want but I am not the one saying stuff you are.  We did not go into a win 8 sub furm and make a topic win 8 is garbage whatever.  Yes we could do that but we didn't you did somthing like that tho here.

I am not dibya do not confuse me with him, but what did you expect dibya was going to say lol when u make this thread.  If you didn't think he would respond the way he did you're clueless.

Edited by Destro

1 hour ago, Destro said:

Ya JodyT thats the definition of trolling. When you go to an XP forum, and make a controversial thread knowing that it will get response that is counter to yours in advance of time.  The pretend that you have o clue what you are doing.   What exactly did you expect was going to happen?  It is like If I went to Ford Mustang forum and made a post like Ford is s*** guys you should be driving a Chevy.   You know d*** well what kinda response I am going to get.  I am pretty sure you are not that unaware.  If you are that is very sad.  It is perfectly fair.

I am free to state windows 8 10 blah blah is trash etc?  Ok JodyT you are the one that opened the can of worms.  Sure I am free to say whatever I want but I am not the one saying stuff you are.  We did not go into a win 8 sub furm and make a topic win 8 is garbage whatever.  Yes we could do that but we didn't you did somthing like that tho here.

I am not dibya do not confuse me with him, but what did you expect dibya was going to say lol when u make this thread.  If you didn't think he would respond the way he did you're clueless.

See what you're saying is actually more heated and argumentative than anything I have ever said.  Basically you've called me "clueless".  I have been several places where debate can be handled nicely.  Grown-ups disagree and learn from each other.  But it shows that all you wish to do is stick to your club house mind set, and that no other opinions are allowed. That's too bad.  It's almiost as if you're more interested in saying "We showed him guys - get that trash outta here".

And it's perfectly OK for you to say Windows 10 is crap - this forum has a thread DEVOTED to it.

Fine close the thread.  MSFN should not be about saving XP or or legacy operating discussions.  It should be about open discussion and thought or debate.  It can include the topics about legacy OS systems, but shouldn't dominate it, because it make visitors and contributors think that they should conform to a mandate - that is NEVER right.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a by the way, @Dencorso, can you tell me what "upvote" specifically means?

2 hours ago, sdfox7 said:

So I've read some of the posts on this thread, and my two cents is.

Going onto a Windows XP thread to "espouse" the reasons people should upgrade to a new version of Windows is trollish.

It's like going to a classic car meet for '50s Corvettes or '60s Mustangs, and telling people they should upgrade to the latest model. It's ridiculous because the advice is unsolicited and unwanted.

That's unfortunate that you feel that way.  I respect you having your two cents, but I think it's sad that you feel that any open thought like that is trollish, because to me it's conformist to have to be agreeable all the time.  No one grows that way.  But I've made my points clear.  That will all from me.

:(

@sdfox7 and @Destro,

@JodyT is not in any way "trolling".  What you might not realize is that @dencorso created this thread, and placed it here, specifically for @JodyT, at my and several other member's request.

Just like there are threads where folks can praise, or bash, other OS, such as Windows 10 and Windows 8.x, there should be a place where folks can freely do the same for XP.  No offense JodyT, but JodyT had been known for making posts saying that folks should move on from XP in many threads that were made for praising, or at least acknowledging the continued use of XP, and his comments there were not appropriate or appreciated. But he deserved a place where he could safely express his views, and hopefully encourage an open and friendly discussion on both the merits and faults of XP.  So this thread was born.  [If you read the entire thread it might make more sense, since some of the initial posts were pulled from those other threads and moved here.]

MSFN tries to be a forum that has a place for everyone to politely express their views about, and find help for, all of the various MS OS.  It was decided, by the forum members as a whole, even before the staff begrudgingly agreed to allow them, that threads such as the Windows 8 and Windows 10 "Deeper Impressions", and the "Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!" threads had a place here. They are very popular and fun, and they give a place for folks to say what they dislike about the OSes and MS in general. So it is only fair that such a thread for XP exists, too.

We hope you will continue to post your opinions about XP here, both positive and negative.  Who knows?  You might be able to enlighten JodyT to the error of his ways. :)  But if you criticize him for expressing his views here, in this thread you two are the ones who are in the wrong, and you owe @JodyT an apology.  If you have a better idea of a thread title, or location for this thread so that others will not make the same mistake you did, then by all means make an appropriate suggestion.

I hope the friendly banter here will continue, but remember, the "enemy" or "friend" is the OS, not the person who chooses to use it, no matter how misguided they happen to be. ( j/k :) )  We're all supposed to be friends here.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Ditto! I wouldn't be able to put it better than @bphlpt did, no matter how much I tried! :yes:

20 hours ago, JodyT said:

As a by the way, @Dencorso, can you tell me what "upvote" specifically means?

Upvoting increases your numeric reputation. It usually means agreement, praise or both. The idea is to avoid posting "+1" or the like. :)

So what you guys are telling us is that JodyT actually believes the things that he spews and because he does so with such conviction he deserves a thread.  

So basically you are telling us that Some guy named  Ned who is like brainwashed by fake news, and because of social or economical injustices that he feels have effected him In real life that he believe the fake news.  Ned is a guy who has been bashing other people for a long time just because he is ignorant, but were gonna give this guy a thread so we can be democratic about it even though its extremely toxic.  I think I am done posing here on MSFN if this is the way things are gonna work around here.  Bye.

25 minutes ago, Destro said:

So what you guys are telling us is that JodyT actually believes the things that he spews and because he does so with such conviction he deserves a thread.

I'm definitely under the impression that @JodyT sincerely believes in whatever he believes in at any given time (in the past: NT 6.x is an abomination and needs to die; at the moment: NT 5.x is an abomination and needs to die :D). But in any case, I don't see why it's such a big deal that he gets to express his opinions in a sequestered thread. It's not like there aren't any arguments that could be made in favor of getting off XP, so if someone feels the need to keep making them even to a perfectly well informed audience, why nor just shrug it off without getting too aggravated about it?

People has the right to express their opinions, in a civilized manner, whatever those opinions are. The reason for those threads called "Deeper Impressions" is to provide a place for it, without interrupting other threads, and to further a more constuctive discussion, with less repetition. The fact they are popular just shows there was a real demand for them and, hence, they are here to stay.

3 hours ago, Destro said:

So basically you are telling us that Some guy named  Ned who is like brainwashed by fake news, and because of social or economical injustices that he feels have effected him In real life that he believe the fake news.  Ned is a guy who has been bashing other people for a long time just because he is ignorant, but were gonna give this guy a thread so we can be democratic about it even though its extremely toxic.  I think I am done posing here on MSFN if this is the way things are gonna work around here.  Bye.

Well first off, I'm not spewing anything.  What I'm saying has merit.  There are indeed good reasons, especially on modern hardware, to move to an NT 6x class OS and leave Windows XP behind.  When I say that, I'm not talking about any fake news, or social injustice stuff or whatever.  On modern hardware, it's my view and experience that even Vista SP2 is more solid in day-to-day operation than Windows XP.  And quicker boot times (which used to be important to me, aren't as much anymore), because I'd rather have a more solid foundation to work on top of, and longer uptime.  Usually I just log off my workstation, so the OS rarely needs to be rebooted.  You don't see it that way? - perfectly fine, but that doesn't make what I say spewed nonsense.

I don't see how my deferring preference to XP is toxic in any way. Why do you see it that way?  So if I have to "fall in line" and say only positive things about XP, aren't you saying I have to be disingenuous about my feelings?  Isn't that toxic?

There was a post (a very supportive one I might add) that mentioned I might be enlightened by positive views about XP,  Not only is that true, but I already see value in Windows XP, especially the x64 Edition.  That OS worked extremely well.  But I have to concede that my PC runs even better on Windows NT 6x incarnations.  I'm not bashing anyone by saying that.  So why does that bother you?  Why can't we actually have a discussion?  Why is that "toxic" to you?

I think maybe it's best - right or wrong, for me to take a break from this for awhile.  I think I'll stick to contributing to the Vista and Windows 8 update threads once a month.  This will calm the waters.  It saddens me, but it's probably for the best.

I find it odd @Destro, that your bothered by my touting Windows NT 6x class systems, yet you run Windows 7 (judging from your avatar).  But that's OK.  You should feel comfortable where you post online, and if you think it's best not to have this sort of conversation, then I can go elsewhere.

Well folks, much appreciated.

Hopefully, this is not the end of this thread. There is value in all of the various MS OS, and they each have their supporters to this day.  That's why there are threads here supporting everything from DOS to Win95, Win98, ME, XP, Win2K, Vista, Win7, Win8.x, and Win10.  Maybe Win3.1 too, but I can't think of any threads I've seen lately.  Each of the OS meets the needs of someone, so they deserve to be supported. And for each OS, there are probably just as many folks that think that particular OS is a total waste of digital space. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and deserves a place to politely state it.  Whether they use that space to support or disagree is their right and their choice.

@rloew is a fan of, and supports, DOS and Win9x, and apparently makes his living at it, or at least it's a profitable hobby for him. I began working with computers before DOS existed, and worked using and supporting systems using everything from DOS though Win2K.  I used computers enough at work that I had no interest in having one at home, until I changed professions.  I put Win2K on my first home computer, which I happily stayed with until I finally moved to Win7, or Vista SP3 as @jaclaz  would describe it, which I've now had for a number of years. @blackwingcat and @tomasz86 have both been steadfast supporters of Win2K over the years. @xpclient, obviously. was a huge fan of XP for many years, until he, like @JodyT, decided to move to Win8.1. [ I say like Jody, since I believe that Jody would use Win8.1 if his hardware would support it.] And yes, Jody, like many of us, has changed his OS allegiances over the years as @mixit mentioned above, but to Jody's credit, he was always respectful in all of our discussions over the years from when he used XP until now when he is on Win8, even if I thought he was sometimes being annoyingly persistent. :) @greenhillmaniac is a big fan of Vista, which Jody also admires, but Jody wanted to be a bit more current, IIRC. @NoelC depends on computers for his livelihood, so they must be as stable, reliable, efficient, current, and fast as he can make them. I believe he's probably used most of MS's OS, skipping a few such as Vista SP0 and Win8. He used Win7 for many years, and some of the computers he absolutely depends on in his network still use Win7 today, though he uses Win8.1 on his main workstation. @dhjohns is one I can think of who is a huge fan of Win10.

Bottom line, as I have told Jody many times over the years, each user should have the right to use whichever OS that works for them and meets their needs.  They should each be respected and supported as best we can. We should be able to say which OS we think is the best, and why, say which features we like or dislike, and say which OS deserves an award, and which ones are pure sh*t, as long as we do it politely and respectfully, and in an appropriate location.  The user is always to be respected, even if they are, or I am, wrong.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt
Win7 = Vista SP3

Pretty much, how I feel exactly and why I am so peeved.  OK JodyT has the right to say whatever he wants, But we also have the right to run whatever we want on our computers.  So we agree you can say whatever you want but you have to agree to stop telling us to uninstall our operating systems and tell us what to do.

I still Run windows 98 and DOS on one computer simply because I have games that don't run on anything else and emulation is terrible.  I have XP on a couple notebooks simply because they wont run anything higher without lag.  I run XP in a VM simply because it takes little to no resources to do so.  The only reason I run win 7 x64 is because of hardware and memory to run my games.  Before I ran win 7 X64 I was running XP x64 on my gaming rig.

I have a lot of older hardware and I need old operating systems to run it.  When I say a lot you need to understand it is like Hoarder levels.  Like you see hoarders show on TV levels.  I can really support myself.  I don't need somone to support me cuz I know wtf I am doing on every level.  Also I am not like a consumer ok, I am a real IT person who knows sh*t.  I Professionally worked In IT since I was 18 years old and I am almost 40 now.  My first job I ever had in IT was as a system builder for a government contractor.   This was back when White Box Worstations and Servers was a thing.   I supported other people in real life at multiple Help Desk jobs. One where I supported over 3000 employees.  

OK I don't need JodyT to tell me how no one will support my hardware or my software off of whatever fake new he readon the internet.  I have every right to do what I wan't 

5 hours ago, bphlpt said:

@blackwingcat and @tomasz86 have both been steadfast supporters of Win2K over the years.

Just for the record, I do use all the different versions of Windows, starting from Windows 2000 to Windows 10 ;). When it comes to the NT 5.x line, I have always preferred Windows 2000 to Windows XP. Windows 2003 also is/was cool, but being a server OS it was unavailable to normal users. I had also experienced some weirds quircks when trying to install printers in it (that otherwise worked fine in 2000/XP). As for the NT 6.x line, I like Windows 7 but have also always liked Windows 8 (especially on a tablet / hybrid device). I rather dislike Windows 10 for three reasons: 1) constant feature updates resulting in buggy and unstable experience, 2) privacy issues, and 3) the overall "dark" look. At the moment the last one is actually the most important for me as both the bugs are liveable with and the privacy related settings can mostly be blocked. However, the overall theme and especially the black taskbar right in my face from the very beginning is something that I just cannot bare with. The only way I feel comfortable in Windows 10 is to use my custom high contrast theme that makes the OS look similar to Windows Classic (but many programs have issues with high contrast themes, unfortunately). I still do not understand why it is so difficult for M$ to let the users change the OS colours as you could in all versions of Windows up to 7 -_- (Windows 8 had this problem too but at least the overall look was light, not dark).

Edited by tomasz86