Windows XP - Deepest Impressions

Jody Thornton

@JodyT

I appreciate your contributions to this forum, and I believe everyone else here does as well. I have enjoyed your posts, and I hope no one here has made you feel like your opinions don't matter.

What I am trying to say is that I don't think it is productive for anyone to criticize other people for using the operating system of their choice. All it does is incite discomfort and disagreement, fanning the fire.

You won't find me in the Windows 10 forum bashing it, even though I think it is a steaming pile of crap. :w00t:

There are people that like Windows 10, and I will respect their free will to use it. Have a good day!

On 31/10/2017 at 10:31 AM, bphlpt said:

until I finally moved to Win7, or Vista SP2 as @jaclaz  would describe it,

For the record jaclaz would describe it as Vista SP3. (Vista SP2 actually exists and more or less amounts to the only actually working version of Vista).

jaclaz

• 1 year later...

Problem is though guys, that you're asking a company to not move forward with a vision for the future, one that XP cannot be part of because of technical limitations.  Maybe the limitations of Firefox on XP and NT 5x systems are "fake" ones right now, but down the road that won't be the case.  There will be architectural limitations that cannot be overcome.

Two things I would ask XP fans:

(a) How long do you expect Mozilla to support XP for?

(b} When sites become incompatible with an XP-supported Firefox, what should Mozilla do then to satisfy you?

These aren't slags or insults being thrown at you.  I want to really know when is it OK for XP to be dead OS (for online applications and use)?  Because one day, that will have to be accepted.

53 minutes ago, Jody Thornton said:

How long do you expect Mozilla to support XP for?

Longer than MorphOS support Amiga, certainly :D

This is a discussion you start when anything regarding XP or FF 52 ESR pops up, so I don't think we should roll out another progress vs tradition debate here. The case is here, that there are still many XP users rolling around the net normally, and according to NetMarket share XP users are still greater piece of cake than Linux desktop :) If we have a way to try to group again once more and try to reach to decision people with our voice, then why not.

However, I think such petition will not have great impact. First of all, anyone can sign it and there is no user verification, so it gives no certainty for the receiver about the real power behind it. Secondly, because it's too late - decisions have been taken in Mozilla in high management level, and already implemented. No Firefox for XP plan was done and rollback will be costly on their end. Such petition, if getting enough signatures, could have been impactful before the deadline was published, or slightly after.

So, I signed, but I totally doubt the worth of our effort here :)

I have used 98SE on bare iron, as day-to-day main OS (banking included), from 1999 to about 2012. Then, as browsing the internet started becoming really hard, I began migrating so that, by around 2014 I realized I almost didn't use 98SE anymore and my non-SSE2, single-core machines had become too slow... at that point I gave up on both non-SSE2, single-core machines and on 98SE and migrated to i7 based machines running XPSP3 and 7SP1. So, while I'm not one of the die-hardest among us, I'm still die-harder than most, and generally stubborn as a mule. In my view, whenever using an OS or a piece of hardware (like non-SSE2 processors) becomes a true pain, it's time to move on. I really do believe in "if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee"... 

"

@Mcinwwl completely understand, and it wasn't meant as an argument.  I was really just wanting to understand when an XP fan can realize that "OK it's really over now for XP, and should be over".  That was all.  I think there should be a time when Microsoft, Mozilla or any other vendor be allowed to move along and jettison their old product.  after all, it IS Microsoft's product.  If they wanted XP to do nothing more than collect dust on a shelf, don't they have that right?  Additionally, don't they have the right to say, "If you want to use Microsoft services, they should be something on which we can monetize"?

So again, nothing argumentative intended at all.  I think I do have a valid point though, and I hope it's received in it's intended, friendly tone.

Have a good day.  :)

52 minutes ago, Jody Thornton said:

@Mcinwwl they have the right to say, "If you want to use Microsoft services, they should be something on which we can monetize"?

Sure, but that doesn't have to be a new OS.

If they rolled out a new official Service Pack 4 with new tools and monthly updates and if they asked people to pay for a new licence to use it, I would have paid it and I think many people would have been willing to pay for it more than paying for a w10 licence.

I'm a Linux user and I use Fedora, and I'd really like to see Windows with an updating mechanism similar to the Linux one, updating flawlessly from a version to another. For instance, if you check out the changes between Fedora 28 and Fedora 29, there have been improvements, but it feels like you are using the same OS. Same applies if you compare Fedora 29 to Fedora 26. 

I'm not against change. Change is good, but I don't think that Microsoft has to make a new OS with a new UI that gives a completely different user experience when they could simply update the "old" ones, trying to keep the user experience as consistent as possible.

Im so tired of people trying to hold onto the past. I sell combs, and i too would like to have income flowing after the initial sale. With bluetooth connectivity to your cellphone, i can collect some data that helps me to better target the customer with what they dont know they need yet. I can charge your bank automatically through your cellphone per month to keep the supply of hair balm being shipped to you. I dont care if you dont want hair balm, it is not a comb i am selling you, but a hair care and grooming enhancement service.

349065b81e.jpeg

But seriously, what i wonder more is why people would come to an xp specific section in a forum just to p*** on everyones parade. After you rid the world of old OS users, there are people world wide who, brace yourself, like old cars. Destroy their communities, think of the poor car manufacturers.

Edited by MikeyV

1 hour ago, FranceBB said:

Sure, but that doesn't have to be a new OS.

If they rolled out a new official Service Pack 4 with new tools and monthly updates and if they asked people to pay for a new licence to use it, I would have paid it and I think many people would have been willing to pay for it more than paying for a w10 licence.

I'm a Linux user and I use Fedora, and I'd really like to see Windows with an updating mechanism similar to the Linux one, updating flawlessly from a version to another. For instance, if you check out the changes between Fedora 28 and Fedora 29, there have been improvements, but it feels like you are using the same OS. Same applies if you compare Fedora 29 to Fedora 26. 

I'm not against change. Change is good, but I don't think that Microsoft has to make a new OS with a new UI that gives a completely different user experience when they could simply update the "old" ones, trying to keep the user experience as consistent as possible.

Now see that I had not considered.  I get that completely.  The only thing then would be, if I'm Microsoft, and I want Windows to represent something completely different that what XP, Vista or 7 ever was (almost like visual branding, if you will).  But you idea is completely sound as well.

47 minutes ago, MikeyV said:

Im so tired of people trying to hold onto the past. I sell combs, and i too would like to have income flowing after the initial sale. With bluetooth connectivity to your cellphone, i can collect some data that helps me to better target the customer with what they dont know they need yet. I can charge your bank automatically through your cellphone per month to keep the supply of hair balm being shipped to you. I dont care if you dont want hair balm, it is not a comb i am selling you, but a hair care and grooming enhancement service.

349065b81e.jpeg

But seriously, what i wonder more is why people would come to an xp specific section in a forum just to p*** on everyones parade. After you rid the world of old OS users, there are people world wide who, brace yourself, like old cars. Destroy their communities, think of the poor car manufacturers.

Because I wondered initially how sound the idea of extending XP support was.  My points have a perfectly valid place.  And up until you posted your comment, we were having friendly discourse, even when we disagreed.  And I even admitted on the last post to agreeing to a concept I hadn't even considered.

That's why I post on such a question.  There is NOTHING WRONG with disagreement.

2 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

I was really just wanting to understand when an XP fan can realize that "OK it's really over now for XP, and should be over".

Deepest hatred towards two phenomena, fashion and planned obsolence, and I see elements of both in comments like quoted above ;)

Because, actually, why it should? And who decided that. I have nothing against improvement or development, but here I see more a sake for the sake of change. Especially seeing that Roytam1 and other lone Rangers can keep it living. Yes, I'm moving to Basilisk XP on my machine.

Just note that I mainly use Windows 7, and I'm totally happy with lesser memory usage in Firefox since 53. But i also would like to keep my XP useful and secure for as long as possible. Just like some people like old Mustangs instead of new, hackable, electronics packed cars. And I share my opinion when asked for. Is THIS hard to understand? :P

However, I give you a credit for manipulative skills, as I should not answer to you in this topic ^^ Lets just assume that there is a bunch of people that simply like using XP more than other windows systems, and that should be the most high-level and appropriate answer to any your future question in the topic :)

12 minutes ago, Mcinwwl said:

However, I give you a credit for manipulative skills, as I should not answer to you in this topic ^^ Lets just assume that there is a bunch of people that simply like using XP more than other windows systems, and that should be the most high-level and appropriate answer to any your future question in the topic :)

Oh see, I took your earlier comment as friendly but disagreeing discourse.  Now that I see you've labelled me as manipulative, I see that you aren't as open to conversation as I thought.  That's good  to know and I'll remember that in the future.  See, not allowing anyone to have differing opinions and showing both sides, is WORSE than me disagreeing with your stance.  That's too bad.  And your calling me "manipulative", is absolutely distasteful.

By the way does my response to @FranceBB above, sound like manipulation?  I even agreed with his point.  So I'm not here to be disagreeable.

Edited by Jody Thornton

No offence intended, and I even put a smiling emoticon at the end to mark I'm not totally serious in this one. sorry if this got misunderstood. Only thing you 'manipulated' me into was replaying once again in this topic, despite I started from saying that we shouldn't discuss that once again, as quoted below:

3 hours ago, Mcinwwl said:

so I don't think we should roll out another progress vs tradition debate here.

Hope explains my intentions.