Nvidia Pascal Graphics Card Issue

Windows 2000

Hello. Today I've installed Windows Vista on my main PC with an Nvidia GTX 1050Ti. I knew that there weren't any drivers for that OS, but I was almost completely sure that I would be able to get around that and I was right. Everything is installed and seemingly works fine, but once I start almost any game after 2002, the GPU usage goes up to 100% with progressively increasing temperature of the card as time goes and nearly all games are unplayable with around 5fps on average.

I'm using modified 372.70 graphics driver. Aero is working. Video playback is smooth even in 1080p 60fps.

I'm just confused. Should I try any other driver versions?

Edited by Windows 2000

I don't think trying other driver versions would be an option; as far as I know, the modified 372.70 drivers are the only ones that support both Vista and the GTX 1000 series GPUs, unless there's a way to make older drivers support the newer graphics cards. Newer drivers don't work, most likely due to missing Win7+ dependencies not found in Vista that the drivers rely on to work correctly. I don't remember what version exactly I tried (this was about a year ago), but I do know that it was post 370.xx series. I received a Code 39 error in Device Manager upon installing the drivers, and the drivers would not function properly.

I know this solution is pretty obvious, but you never know... But do you have Service Pack 2 (KB948465), Platform Update (KB971512), and Platform Update Supplement (KB2117917) installed? Platform Update and Platform Update Supplement for Windows Vista adds support for the DirectX 11 API, as well as a few additional APIs from Windows 7 to improve compatibility with newer software and drivers. Also, I've found that the update slightly improves overall system performance and stability.
You may also try installing the Driver Framework version 1.11 update for Windows Vista which improves support for newer drivers, see here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2685813/user-mode-driver-framework-version-1-11-update-for-windows-vista--wind

Personally, I use the modified 372.70 drivers in my environment, but with a GTX 750ti, and I also don't game much except for playing certain Dolphin games (i.e. SpongeBob Battle for Bikini Bottom), and I have no issues doing that. Perhaps someone else gaming with Vista using a similar configuration as you (GTX 10xx card with the same drivers) could chime in with a more helpful reply. I hope I helped you regardless, though.

Good luck!

Edited by 2008WindowsVista

Thank you for your reply. I didn't have those updates installed (except SP2), but even after installing them and rebooting the computer, the graphics card performed ridiculously bad on a game from 2005.

The game is GTA San Andreas and it was running with roughly around 10 FPS on avg.

New_Bitmap_Image.png

I've also noticed by the screenshot that for some reason the graphics card's fan doesn't work at all in Vista.

EDIT: Just noticed one more thing. 3D Applications (ex: games after 2004) run perfectly fine for the first 10 seconds of gameplay and then the FPS drops drastically.

Edited by Windows 2000

Okay that's really weird. I'm also using the modified drivers (GTX 970) and everything is fine so far, except that it breaks direct2D font rendering in Pale Moon x64, but that's ok, i'm using the recommended x32 version anyway. 

5 hours ago, GTAGAME said:

Okay that's really weird. I'm also using the modified drivers (GTX 970) and everything is fine so far, except that it breaks direct2D font rendering in Pale Moon x64, but that's ok, i'm using the recommended x32 version anyway. 

i have a 1060gtx running on vista,most of the games cant utilise the graphics cards full potential(except rocket league and a few other), what im curious about is how  does the modified 970 drivers work for you? and does it use the gfx to its full potential?

Edited by burd

19 hours ago, Windows 2000 said:

Thank you for your reply. I didn't have those updates installed (except SP2), but even after installing them and rebooting the computer, the graphics card performed ridiculously bad on a game from 2005.

The game is GTA San Andreas and it was running with roughly around 10 FPS on avg.

New_Bitmap_Image.png

I've also noticed by the screenshot that for some reason the graphics card's fan doesn't work at all in Vista.

EDIT: Just noticed one more thing. 3D Applications (ex: games after 2004) run perfectly fine for the first 10 seconds of gameplay and then the FPS drops drastically.

This is quite odd... Does the GPU fan spin before Vista boots up? Or does it just simply stop spinning as soon as the OS boots and the drivers are loaded? If so, this is quite odd as the drivers seem to work fine with @burd's configuration. Also, have you tested an operating system that "officially" supports the GPU, such as Windows 7? If so, did everything behave as expected?

If you have tried the above and the GPU fan never spins, this sounds more to me like a hardware issue. As I stated prior, I also use this driver with my GTX 750ti and have no problems whatsoever, unless for some reason this only affects the GTX 1050 GPUs, which would make no sense to me...
I have also fully patched my Vista system up to April 2017 (and installed all Server 2008 updates released since May 2017, for extra security), which I recommend doing if you haven't already (I assume you haven't, since those updates I suggested prior weren't already installed). In contrast to newer versions of Windows, updating Vista actually is worth it as Microsoft made many improvements to the system outside of the major updates (SP2, Platform Update, etc.) that fixed small bugs that Vista had here and there, which may remedy the issues you're experiencing.
...and if you are concerned, Windows 10's telemetry was never backported to Vista either, so you're safe from that.
If you need help getting Windows Update un-stuck from the infamous "Checking for Updates" stage, I have made a video about it on my YouTube channel here that may be of use to you.

If all else fails, it might be possible to modify the 365.19 suite of drivers (last "official" version to support Vista) by adding in the hardware IDs for your GPU to the driver's INF file(s), which may fix your issues.  Please let me know if you're interested in trying this, and I'll do my best to assist you.

Good luck, and let me know how my solution(s) work for you!

Edited by 2008WindowsVista

Alright. One problem's out. I've tried it on Windows 7 and apparently the fan doesn't start until a certain degree, which means that it wasn't Windows Vista's fault on that.

New_Bitmap_Image_5.png

The only problem left now is the terrible performance on 3D applications.

I will now try installing the latest official Nvidia driver on Vista by adding the hardware IDs and share the results here.

UPDATE: Definitely no hope in getting 365.19 to work. The system just crashes and once you reboot it, you get flooded by error messages (which don't seem to go away) and awful graphical glitches.

New_Bitmap_Image.png

New_Bitmap_Image_2.png

Edited by Windows 2000

6 hours ago, Windows 2000 said:

Alright. One problem's out. I've tried it on Windows 7 and apparently the fan doesn't start until a certain degree, which means that it wasn't Windows Vista's fault on that.

New_Bitmap_Image_5.png

I will now try installing the latest official Nvidia driver on Vista by adding the hardware IDs and share the results here.

UPDATE: Definitely no hope in getting 365.19 to work. The system just crashes and once you reboot it, you get flooded by error messages (which don't seem to go away) and awful graphical glitches.

New_Bitmap_Image.png

New_Bitmap_Image_2.png

it has bugs and stuff but does the graphic card perform to any degree?

9 hours ago, 2008WindowsVista said:

This is quite odd... Does the GPU fan spin before Vista boots up? Or does it just simply stop spinning as soon as the OS boots and the drivers are loaded? If so, this is quite odd as the drivers seem to work fine with @burd's configuration. Also, have you tested an operating system that "officially" supports the GPU, such as Windows 7? If so, did everything behave as expected?

If you have tried the above and the GPU fan never spins, this sounds more to me like a hardware issue. As I stated prior, I also use this driver with my GTX 750ti and have no problems whatsoever, unless for some reason this only affects the GTX 1050 GPUs, which would make no sense to me...
I have also fully patched my Vista system up to April 2017 (and installed all Server 2008 updates released since May 2017, for extra security), which I recommend doing if you haven't already (I assume you haven't, since those updates I suggested prior weren't already installed). In contrast to newer versions of Windows, updating Vista actually is worth it as Microsoft made many improvements to the system outside of the major updates (SP2, Platform Update, etc.) that fixed small bugs that Vista had here and there, which may remedy the issues you're experiencing.
...and if you are concerned, Windows 10's telemetry was never backported to Vista either, so you're safe from that.
If you need help getting Windows Update un-stuck from the infamous "Checking for Updates" stage, I have made a video about it on my YouTube channel here that may be of use to you.

If all else fails, it might be possible to modify the 365.19 suite of drivers (last "official" version to support Vista) by adding in the hardware IDs for your GPU to the driver's INF file(s), which may fix your issues.  Please let me know if you're interested in trying this, and I'll do my best to assist you.

Good luck, and let me know how my solution(s) work for you!

drivers work on a minimal state,aero and video playback is available,the thing is these drivers CANNOT Utilise the GPU for any kind of games or such graphic intensive programs

@burd It was a hell of a lot worse than Microsoft's integrated video driver in Windows.

@Dibya The PC is completely compatible with Windows Vista (as I have been using it for some time, before getting the new GPU) and all 3D applications that I've tested so far, must work on my PC flawlessly.

Hi, i get Zotac gt 1030 a couple months ago, after driver installation and reboot the PC ,the screen stays on black (mouse cursors shows, startup sound appears, but... windows vista's logo dont show) ,i tried multiple versions without success, i hope you got better results

At the end i resell the card, and got the MSI GTX 750TI Low Profile, still have decent performace, if you want Windows Vista on Pascal, gtx 1060 and up its fully supported, or try some gtx 900 and lower cards series.

On 9/9/2017 at 3:03 AM, Windows 2000 said:

New_Bitmap_Image_5.png

New_Bitmap_Image.png

New_Bitmap_Image_2.png

On 9/9/2017 at 3:53 PM, Windows 2000 said:

@burd It was a hell of a lot worse than Microsoft's integrated video driver in Windows.

@Dibya The PC is completely compatible with Windows Vista (as I have been using it for some time, before getting the new GPU) and all 3D applications that I've tested so far, must work on my PC flawlessly.

Sorry to hear that the 365.19 drivers didn't work. I really don't know what to tell you at this point, other than to buy a Vista-compatible GPU, such as something from the 900 series or below.
Or perhaps the GTX 1060, 1070, or 1080 would work better than the 1050 with the modified drivers, since I believe that the modified drivers are geared toward those cards more than the 1050. I don't have a GTX 1000 series card to test, or I'd be able to assist you better... again, my apologies.

On 9/9/2017 at 9:44 AM, burd said:

drivers work on a minimal state,aero and video playback is available,the thing is these drivers CANNOT Utilise the GPU for any kind of games or such graphic intensive programs

The drivers utilize graphic intensive programs for me just fine, for example Dolphin (though one could argue that Dolphin is more CPU dependent, it still requires a pretty decent GPU to work properly): http://prntscr.com/gjlw88

However, since I'm using a GTX 750ti, maybe the issue doesn't affect me for some reason? Who knows... :blink:

4 hours ago, 2008WindowsVista said:

Sorry to hear that the 365.19 drivers didn't work. I really don't know what to tell you at this point, other than to buy a Vista-compatible GPU, such as something from the 900 series or below.
Or perhaps the GTX 1060, 1070, or 1080 would work better than the 1050 with the modified drivers, since I believe that the modified drivers are geared toward those cards more than the 1050. I don't have a GTX 1000 series card to test, or I'd be able to assist you better... again, my apologies.

The drivers utilize graphic intensive programs for me just fine, for example Dolphin (though one could argue that Dolphin is more CPU dependent, it still requires a pretty decent GPU to work properly): http://prntscr.com/gjlw88

However, since I'm using a GTX 750ti, maybe the issue doesn't affect me for some reason? Who knows... :blink:

ill try dolphin and post a screenshot when i get a bit free in around 1-2days lets see how it performs compared to your 750GTX Ti

Btw which spongebob game is that?

Edited by burd

@2008WindowsVista When I saw the screenshot with that Dolphin and Sponge Bob thingy, I just couldn't hold myself but try it.

Surprisingly enough, everything was buttery smooth at 4K 60FPS (including cutscenes, which seemed more demanding than the game itself) and the GPU was working wonderfully, including the fan.

New_Bitmap_Image.png

I just wish I could say the same for heavier 3D applications. Less than 10FPS with constant 100% GPU load, but surprisingly the GPU stays under 40C, which is a proof that heavier 3D applications can't use the GPU properly. (The screenshots below are on two completely different games from 2011-2012.)

New_Bitmap_Image.png

New_Bitmap_Image_2.png

Edited by Windows 2000