Is ReFS ready for prime-time?

BeardedBlunder

5 minutes ago, Mcinwwl said:

Knowing how good you are in fetching most... bizarre parts of internet, form your vast archives, makes me worried about what might happen with my posts in near future :>

what-has-been-seen-cannot-be-unseen.jpg

bit curious why nobody is commenting on how ReFS is good for drive itself (hardware)
self-healing to me just tells me constant backup or some sort of check is in place
which translates in constant read-write data, to which disk based drives might have slow performance
and high possibility for sector corruption
and SSD's as they are dying after XX read/write actions

any thoughts ? :P
i kinda doubt FS itself dumps things into RAM to spare drives themself....

8 hours ago, vinifera said:

bit curious why nobody is commenting on how ReFS is good for drive itself (hardware)
self-healing to me just tells me constant backup or some sort of check is in place
which translates in constant read-write data, to which disk based drives might have slow performance
and high possibility for sector corruption
and SSD's as they are dying after XX read/write actions

any thoughts ? :P
i kinda doubt FS itself dumps things into RAM to spare drives themself....

I guess because simply noone uses it, and noone has actually delved into the (non-existing or scarce, often outdated and sometimes misleading) documentation.

The thingy was once upon a time called ProtogonFS, JFYI:

http://reboot.pro/topic/15466-refs-formerly-protogon-in-windows-8-the-new-filesystem/

Relevant (beware, it is signed Sinofsky and likely to contain marketing fluff):

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/b8/2012/01/16/building-the-next-generation-file-system-for-windows-refs/

The "Robust disk update strategy" and "Resiliency to disk corruptions" should be the parts of your interest.

In a nutshell a modified file is re-written *elsewhere* and checksummed while the original is kept until the checksum is verified.

That is fine and dandy (and also "smart") the issues (as I see it) are more connected with the "atomic" (one of the adjectives that MS likes a lot) nature of the file system transactions and with their logging/indexing mechanism.

But all in all there is no reason why it should be "worse" than NTFS, the point is more about how much "better" than NTFS it is and whether that amount of betterness is enough to justify its adoption outside the intended, designed, scope (of storage and "Storage Spaces").

jaclaz

I have noticed my ReFS drive occasionally wakes up and does some things - presumably the self-checking/healing that the file system does.  But it's not excessive nor even all that often.  My judgment is that it's not hard on the drive.  And the alternative - bit rot not noticed until the data is needed - is worse.

All that being said, that Microsoft hasn't made it possible to set it up as a boot drive and now the restriction to the "Workstation" edition seems to say that Microsoft isn't really serious about it being used by actual people.

-Noel

• 4 years later...
On 11/5/2017 at 8:28 PM, jaclaz said:

On other (old) news, when they released XP the demented MS guys did remove something useful (the Wang/Kodak Imaging tool) that was a nice (very popular) tool on 9x and NT/2K, and, in no time, each and every "geeky peep" on the internet managed to port the 2K version to XP (and a subset of the "geeky peeps" also use it on Vista and 7 ;)):

http://kakopa.webcindario.com/imaging/

that was a problem, and it has been solved just fine, when/if making a REFS will become a problem, surely a workaround will be found. :)

jaclaz

Sorry for bumping this thread, but the linked homepage is gone.

archive.org has captured the site, but not the files

scanner-win7.z and scanner.zip are very generic names :(

On other (old) news, when they released XP the demented MS guys did remove something useful (the Wang/Kodak Imaging tool) that was a nice (very popular) tool on 9x and NT/2K, and, in no time, each and every "geeky peep" on the internet managed to port the 2K version to XP (and a subset of the "geeky peeps" also use it on Vista and 7 ;)):

that was a problem, and it has been solved just fine, when/if making a REFS will become a problem, surely a workaround will be found. :)

jaclaz

Forum didn't view display my reply, so I pressed post reply again :(

Edited by ctrlkhan

jaclaz

Forum didn't view display my reply, so I pressed post reply again :(

Edited by ctrlkhan