Quality of OSes

kdg

About a day ago I made a thread that was closed (http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/ 177034-worthless-oses/  ---A space added, not preferring a pop link at this time//don't know the name of it). I contacted this site about it, as it is clearly a mistake.

The subject was the quality of operating systems. Where xp(/2000) is central somehow.

A thread about quality can never be a fault. 

So here a new attempt. 

XP-ish as an operating system seems to be best working all in all. A touch and some technical aspects of later operating systems COULD be interesting. But that is not what is being served. This thread is about how this can become how it is. 

I don't have a msfn reply yet.

Btw my user icon. I didn't pick one when registering. I do know it, it is one of mine. But I thought I would say. I think I would have to edit it al little anyway. 

Edited by kdg

Besides there are probably tens of topics where the idea that the best OS ever has been 2K (followed by XP) has been debated ad nauseam, maybe a pointer to a couple of them would show to the OP that there is not any particular *need* to start a new one?

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173322-windows-2000-one-of-the-forgotten-best-ms-os/

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/175265-windows-xp-is-still-king/

Also, some of the celebrations of 2K or Xp are in the threads reated to the new (crappy) OSes, like (again examples):

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/155290-windows-8-deeper-impressions/

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/174208-windows-10-deeper-impressions/

Shameless plug :w00t:, but OP may appreciate ;):

jaclaz

21 hours ago, HarryTri said:

I will tell it in a simple way: the meaning of your writing isn't clear. You must work on improving your English. Sorry.:(

3 hours ago, Tomcat76 said:

My mother tongue is Dutch.  I suppose he meant Worthy OSes, but other than that, I can't make much of it either.

@kdg: we verstaan niet veel van wat je zegt.  Sorry...

This is nonsense. And strange, because it isn't. 

But I am not continuing this with some mad thing about me saying things in a language other then I am saying it in. 

So now what? A turbo charged closing by a moderator? Maybe this forum is not as independent as it is saying it in. I don't know. I never have this problem. And I would have known if it is. So, very awkward. 

Well: don't know. That is not entirely true. This is about a whole different arrangement from how it is now. It is not this illogical that it can meet some unexplainable kind of thing. 

@kdg

When you create a thread to debate the quality of operating systems, you are opening a [endless] can of worms, because debating quality is subjective, based solely on the requirements of the person who will be using it.

Every person on the planet has different wants and needs. Trying to prove one OS is better than another is known as a Pyrrhic victory. This is when you think you have won an argument, but you really may have lost, because one person's standards may not align with yours, and they may have different priorities than you do.

Do you want a hybrid 16-bit/32-bit OS with ultimate MS-DOS compatibility? Use Windows 95/98.
Do you want a very old but stable OS? Use Windows NT 4.0.
Do you want a old but but still somewhat modern OS? Use Windows 2000.
Do you want a old but still mostly serviceable/software-compatible OS? Use Windows XP.
Do you want a modern OS that still has near-100% compatibility with modern software? Use Windows 7.
Do you want the latest up to date OS available from Microsoft? Use Windows 10.

Of course, this list only addresses Microsoft Windows, not the numerous other operating systems available such as Linux, Mac, etc.

Edited by sdfox7

1 hour ago, kdg said:

But I am not continuing this with some mad thing about me saying things in a language other then I am saying it in. 

I suppose this can be tagged as Humpty Dumpty Syndrome:

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."

@kdg

Seriously, it is difficult to understand what you mean, you are perfectly free to continue of course :) but if you could try to write in a simpler way, we would have better chances to understand each other:

1 hour ago, kdg said:

That is not entirely true. This is about a whole different arrangement from how it is now. It is not this illogical that it can meet some unexplainable kind of thing. 

What is "That"? :unsure:

What is "This"? :dubbio:

jaclaz 

I think I should just keep this short and simple.

I started the topic, but I never intended to take some complete charge over it. About this I just mean people talking about it. Just some interesting, sunny kind of thing. But some things in the view I have MUST rule. So that this and other things can't become corrupted. So for now, this is hopefully enough about this. 

That about me talking nonsense must go. Any critique, ok, but then make a clear remark. Btw, I like to keep some sort of dialect of my language. But even though this is not a problem, maybe this can't. Or not right now. And so far I don't see I really did that here anyway.

This is just like as with the product this is about: you bought it, but it is like the manufacturer still has some claims on it that it can not have. Like getting sold a bread where the baker first takes this insulting bite out of. With saliva and all. Before your eyes… now good bye.

I got two or three desktop messages about a new reply. I actually posted the above first, without reading them. I thought that there is a chance they won't be as bad as those before.

So now I will read them and possibly reply.

The clear remark (hopefully) is that I cannot understand what you mean, this can be due either to my limited understanding of the English language or by your convoluted and unclear way of writing it.

It is not about you writing nonsense, it is about you writing something that - since it cannot be understood (by me) - may appear like nonsense.

I am pretty sure that you know what you want to say, and most probably it represents an interesting point of view :), but unless somehow we find a way to understand each other a conversation is simply not possible :(.

jaclaz