DOS and 9X/ME on Z170 Test

98SE

If you are a Windows 98 or ME user how important is it for you to run this on a modern chipset Z170/Z270 or AM4 socket MB?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. If you are a Windows 98 or ME user how important is it for you to run this on a modern chipset Z170/Z270 or AM4 socket MB?

• Not important
    • Somewhat important
    • I don't care if it happens or not
    • I want it but not enough to pay for it
    • I need it and willing to pay for it

Z170 installation to desktop of 98SE successful.

nVidia GeForce 6600GT 256MB PCIe - driver installed and working properly.

DOSBox - works

MAME - works

Pure DOS - works

Edited by 98SE

[Add-on Hardware for 98SE]

PCIe to dual PCI slots adapter for computer case:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-express-PCIe-x1-to-dual-PCI-slot-Riser-Adapter-Enclosure-for-graphics-card-/282283875809?hash=item41b96e1de1:g:nyIAAOSwB09YSRCX

$116 + $18 shipping

PCI USB 2.0 card

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Port-High-Speed-USB-2-0-PCI-Controller-Card-w-NEC-Chip-4-1-/131931957505?epid=1302320845&hash=item1eb7c1e901:g:jKQAAOSwm3ZZrGpa

$6.75

PCIe sound card

USB sound device

USB network device

Edited by 98SE

Seeing as rloew does not have all the patches to make AHCI/USB3.0(therefore USB 2.0 as well) work on modern chipsets with 98SE, this won't end well...unless you want to do everything via add-in cards like people done for a couple of years now...just now we need even more add-in cards = therefore more money! I ain't up for that.

I'd like to see it happen but my intel 915 mobo + 3.8ghz P4 seems "overkill enough" for 9x. So i personally don't need it.

...but if i had an AM4 board and patches to run 9x were free/cheap, Suuuuuuure, id load 98SE on that sucker, along with whatever other OS id want to have on it.

3 hours ago, Mr.Presario said:

I'd like to see it happen but my intel 915 mobo + 3.8ghz P4 seems "overkill enough" for 9x. So i personally don't need it.

...but if i had an AM4 board and patches to run 9x were free/cheap, Suuuuuuure, id load 98SE on that sucker, along with whatever other OS id want to have on it.

Wouldn't we all Presario!  Free and cheap is good when possible. ;)

I also had a 915 that ran Pentium-M CPUs.  It was an early attempt at a fully fanless desktop system.  But they used some proprietary CPU fan cooler that was incompatible with socket 478 so that was an early fail.  Maybe I should take another stab at that and try and underlock it and find some 3rd party heat sink to mount onto it.

I actually do the opposite of most since I underclocked and undercored the Z170 for my testing.  It ran on 800MHz Single Core and it still runs way too fast (or appears).  I did try to ramp it up to 4.0GHz but with 98SE the performance difference isn't that drastic as you think.  You can run it slightly slower than 800MHz but if it were possible to drop it to 400MHz I would just to see what impact it had on heat.  The 98SE system runs completely fanless.  No commercial memory patches or other Windows system files tweaking headaches and I tested 64GB DDR4 on it even though it passed the 8GB test already and it had no apparent difference in stability.  Sure it isn't using a 7950 GX2 (which only one of the GPUs gets used but runs cooler with all that extra cooling) but I don't want parts to break down and there is already enough heat generated as it is running this entirely fanless.

Speaking of AM4... My MB arrived a few days ago.  It was a possible experiment for 98SE first if Z77 and Z170 worked but time will tell if I will be able to report my findings here when I'm done.  I need to open and see if it is possible to mount a fanless CPU cooler onto it since it is not Intel socket compatible this may be a problem.  But if ragnarg is correct and it can't be underclocked or undervolted then it might be worth waiting for that 35 Watt CPU APU and deal with a fan begrudgingly.  I have no crucial allegiance to AMD but I'm interested in seeing how well their APU performs as I haven't really used AMD since back in the K6 era aside from their graphics cards which now have shifted in favor over to nVidia for low wattage energy efficiency.  But if they ever kick out a Sub 20 Watt CPU I'm skipping the CPU APU for a nice fanless HTPC server.  If I can get 98SE and XP working on it then mission accomplished. :w00t:

Edited by 98SE

remember, @98SE, if you need blazing performance and fanless there's always those absurd cases that cost £900, like this one https://www.quietpc.com/tnn500af 

speaking of fanless, it is my mission to eventually have a passively cooled P4 PresHOT 3.8ghz (I'm seriously doubting this is possible, the one in my dell has a MASSIVE heatsink and good thermal paste but the fan always hangs around somewhere between "vacuum cleaner" and "Turbocharged Leafblower":no:.)

You broke the theme @98SE :realmad:

2 hours ago, Mr.Presario said:

remember, @98SE, if you need blazing performance and fanless there's always those absurd cases that cost £900, like this one https://www.quietpc.com/tnn500af 

speaking of fanless, it is my mission to eventually have a passively cooled P4 PresHOT 3.8ghz (I'm seriously doubting this is possible, the one in my dell has a MASSIVE heatsink and good thermal paste but the fan always hangs around somewhere between "vacuum cleaner" and "Turbocharged Leafblower":no:.)

You broke the theme @98SE :realmad:

No I only made 5 place holders just in case more experiments or other equipment.

Paclaz saw I stopped making anymore so he stopped by and did a naughty.:realmad:

9, :whistle:12 :hello:

Well I had a P4 fanless experiment.  But I put it on hold when I was working on the Z77.  I bought one of those massive copper heatsinks meant for a P4 3 GHz and get the lowest wattage P4 chip you can find and test it out.  You might have to hack the BIOS to underclock it down to 800MHz or less as most BIOS I've seen have a locked multiplier.

A Prescott is probably way too hot.  I had some semi decent passive heatsinks and I could barely cool down the 1.2GHz for more than 90 mins before it got too hot.  I think BIOS Hacking is in order to add a multiplier changer.  400 MHz would probably be still powerful enough for DOS ISA stuff and run fanless.

I just remembered it was possible to have a completely fanless P4.  There was some Sony branded Vaio desktop that made its case part of the cooling element so there was no cooling fan at all.  It was around $1000 for the system from Costco but it got returned.  I don't think it was full ATX as most of those AIO bargain desktop systems usually were some sort of mid ATX.  In comparison I lived with the P4 3.06GHz HT jet engine for several years and one day the CPU burned out.  Not sure how the fan stopped spinning but that caused the CPU damage and random reboots / glitches and I had to get a cheap Celeron for a substitute.  I no longer miss those loud fan days.

It's much easier to have a fanless P3 which I have done before and most P3 the BIOS can allow changing the multiplier down to 1 for 100 MHz.  It might have been possible to reduce to 66.666666~ MHz tweaking the other settings. :wub:

Edited by 98SE

20 hours ago, MrMateczko said:

Seeing as rloew does not have all the patches to make AHCI/USB3.0(therefore USB 2.0 as well) work on modern chipsets with 98SE, this won't end well...unless you want to do everything via add-in cards like people done for a couple of years now...just now we need even more add-in cards = therefore more money! I ain't up for that.

I don't think it's necessary to Rudolph patch everything and you mentioned no more money which you don't want to spend.

I didn't use any Commercial Memory Patches or modify my Windows System Files for my testing.

I even tested 64GB DDR4 just to break another barrier on the Z170 but USB ports shouldn't be necessary since you have 2 PS/2 ports.  It's the sound card you needed.  I saw a PCIe to Dual PCI adaptor board on eBay which might work with your MB if you're using a full ATX case and have room to add two slots next to your MB this could be a hardware solution.  One could be for PCI sound card or network card, and the other for PCI USB card.  Maybe a USB Network and a USB Sound card could be used on two USB ports?

...14 - :rolleyes::whistle: