Not DOS section on main Forum site

ruthan

I don't think that will happen. If it does, it would probably exist under the Windows 9x section as a subforum. Since very few people use DOS for anything outside of minor command necessities, it would add more clutter to an already full board. Although @xper is the one who would make the final call on this one, I'm just an Smod. :cool:

I always thought it was strange there wasn't one on MSFN.

I examined the Forums.

Here is where it should be added at the very bottom of the "[Microsoft Software Products]" list below "Other Microsoft Products".  Added as "DOS - Disk Operating System".  Since it is an official Microsoft Product it does belong to this board.  Actually you could also say without DOS there wouldn't be Windows. :whistle:

If you need someone to super moderate that group on the side so you're not constantly moderating it maybe I can help you out.  I'm a heavy DOS user most of my life so it's not going to be to hard to filter out what doesn't belong there.  Also some Windows 3.X, and 9X users probably would make use of that forum so it wouldn't necessarily be a dead zone seeing 9X/ME is still pretty active here.

How it will look after being added into MSFN.

[Microsoft Software Products]

Older Windows NT-Family OSes
         Windows XP
         Windows Vista
         Windows 2000/2003/NT4

Windows 9x/ME
         Windows 9x Member Projects

Other Microsoft Products
         Microsoft Office 97-2016
         Microsoft Beta Discussion

Discuss Other Microsoft Products and Betas.

DOS - Disk Operating System

Discuss using IBM PC-DOS, MS-DOS and other DOS variants and related DOS software

[Unattended Windows Discussion & Support]

So, under "[Microsoft Software Products]" we should put IBM PC-DOS, DR-DOS and possibly FreeDOS? :dubbio:

Interesting classification proposal.

just in case I  do miss a CP/M section, but particularly an OS/2 section, you could also say without OS/2 there wouldn't be Windows. :whistle:

jaclaz

It should be at same level and other Windows section, its definitely at least so frequent and interesting as Windows Vista or Windows 8. There lots people which still care about Dos are ready to donate if there will find nice place to disscuss it, know when you searchs Dos you are getting Vogons site and when you quick check this forum, you see not Dos, you going elsewhere..

4 hours ago, jaclaz said:

So, under "[Microsoft Software Products]" we should put IBM PC-DOS, DR-DOS and possibly FreeDOS? :dubbio:

Interesting classification proposal.

just in case I  do miss a CP/M section, but particularly an OS/2 section, you could also say without OS/2 there wouldn't be Windows. :whistle:

jaclaz

No read what I wrote:

How it will look after being added into MSFN.

[Microsoft Software Products]

Older Windows NT-Family OSes
         Windows XP
         Windows Vista
         Windows 2000/2003/NT4

Windows 9x/ME
         Windows 9x Member Projects

Other Microsoft Products
         Microsoft Office 97-2016

Discuss Other Microsoft Products and Betas.

DOS - Disk Operating System <--- This is the subforum just as "Windows 9x/ME" is the subforum of "[Microsoft Software Products]"

Discuss using IBM PC-DOS, MS-DOS and other DOS variants and related DOS software <--- This is the description of the subforum "DOS" or "D.O.S. - Disk Operating System" to be more descriptive (in case someone reading Spanish assumes 2), just as "Discuss Other Microsoft Products and Betas" describes this subforum "Other Microsoft Products  Microsoft Office 97-2016  Microsoft Beta Discussion".

If someone wanted to create a topic in the subforum "DOS" they can create a title for example called using MS-DOS, using PC-DOS, using DR-DOS, how to use PC-Tools, et cetera as long as it should be related to DOS.

Just as currently in the "Windows 9X/ME" subforum anyone can post a topic regarding Windows 95, 98, or ME.

As for a CP/M section or an IBM OS/2 subforum you can propose that and see what happens.  Neither of these two were as popular as D.O.S. today and seeing there is already resistance to adding a D.O.S. subforum it may be less likely to be approved in comparison.  They are also not Microsoft Products so I'm not sure how they would fit on MSFN? :angel The fraction of users using those other two Operating Systems is probably so small.  Will we be adding TOS next or Amiga OS?

:whistle:

P.S.

Operating System 2 like Vista was too ahead of its time as the hardware wasn't powerful enough for it.  People cared about boot times back then even I dreaded booting Windows 95A on a 486.  I remember trying to install OS/2 on a 386 with multiple floppies and by the time I finished installing it and played around with it for an hour I had enough as there were no OS/2 specific software I had to make use of it and wiped it back to DOS.  Today it could be a much different story using a virtual machine and I believe it was much prettier than Windows 3.1 in comparison but maybe today it looks awful.

Edited by 98SE

1 hour ago, 98SE said:

DOS - Disk Operating System <--- This is the subforum just as "Windows 9x/ME" is the subforum of "[Microsoft Software Products]"

Then is it the subforum of what?

Everyone has his/her own idea about catalogs and indexing, but check the top left here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/8-windows-9xme/

Can you see?:

Home>Microsoft Software Products>Windows 9x/ME

That is similar to a DOS\Windows path.

Can you translate your proposal in that notation?

Is it:

Home>Microsoft Software Products>DOS - Disk Operating System

as it seemed, or is it something else?

jaclaz

4 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Then is it the subforum of what?

Everyone has his/her own idea about catalogs and indexing, but check the top left here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/8-windows-9xme/

Can you see?:

Home>Microsoft Software Products>Windows 9x/ME

That is similar to a DOS\Windows path.

Can you translate your proposal in that notation?

Is it:

Home>Microsoft Software Products>DOS - Disk Operating System

as it seemed, or is it something else?

jaclaz

Look at this link:

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/95-microsoft-software-products/

It will on the same tier as all these subforums listed there.

the new "D.O.S. - Disk Operating System" subforum will be at the very bottom of the list under the last subforum listed there labeled:

"Other Microsoft Products

Microsoft Office 97-2016

Discuss Other Microsoft Products and Betas."

:hello:

Just for a little more clarity:

Root Directory-> M.S.P. Parent Directory-> D.O.S. (SubDirectory of M.S.P.)

Home -> Microsoft Software Products -> D.O.S. (Disk Operating System)

Edited by 98SE

Yep, and this would virtually put non-Microsoft Software (such as "IBM PC-DOS, DR-DOS and possibly FreeDOS") under the Microsoft Software category, 

As said everyone has his/her own way to classify and organize info, and - again as said - I find yours particularly interesting, though you cannot put periods in "DOS" (this would be an actual mistake).

jaclaz

Not to dig deep into the details, but in general I appreciate the idea. MSFN is one of the best places for the maniacs of old Windows software and systems, and up to my humble opinion, such section might gather an interest of some new maniacs :>

2 hours ago, dencorso said:

And there's a forum for DOS on reboot.pro, too. 

Just a word of warning for those not familiar with the site, it is currently down due to a SQL error, there was a server move announced some time ago, so probably this is the reason and it will (hopefully) be back in a few (latin) hours or days.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

7 hours ago, dencorso said:

Everybody who still wants to discuss DOS ought to know DOS ain't dead. Their traffic is almost (but not yet) nil.
And there's a forum for DOS on reboot.pro, too. So, no. No new place to discuss DOS is actually needed. :no:

While I will agree DOS isn't dead since I still use it and how I got 98SE working on a Z170 but still MSFN will benefit having it added its own subforum within the Microsoft Software Products forum.

Also MSFN needs more foot traffic and I'm not one to jump onto a new board when this one could use it more although props to reboot.pro for their own. :hello:

P.S. Paclaz warning:

SQL Error

An error occured with the SQL server:

This is not a problem with the IPS Community Suite but rather with your SQL server. Please contact your host and copy the message shown above.

Edited by 98SE

2 hours ago, 98SE said:

P.S. Paclaz warning:

SQL Error

An error occured with the SQL server:

This is not a problem with the IPS Community Suite but rather with your SQL server. Please contact your host and copy the message shown above.

He knows.

5 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Just a word of warning for those not familiar with the site, it is currently down due to a SQL error, there was a server move announced some time ago, so probably this is the reason and it will (hopefully) be back in a few (latin) hours or days.

Cheers and Regards

@98SE

My nick/member name is jaclaz, it begins with J, as you can BTW clearly see in my avatar.

You are kindly requested to STOP misspelling it.

It is clearly intentional, it is not particularly fun as a joke or as a pun, and anyway we already got it.

jaclaz