Greetings!

spaztron64

Hello there.

I'm one of those Freakish Windows 2000 Fanatics who try to run absolutely everything on it and use it as a daily driver OS.

I've only recently signed up here because I'm not a huge fan of Forums, but hey, what gives.

15 hours ago, Tommy said:

Welcome! It's great to have another die-hard Windows 2000 user here. I use it as my daily OS as well.

2K Pro was my favorite OS over 98SE (Multitasking Browser tabs in the hundreds with Internet Explorer before it became a dangerous browser) and uptime stability ran up to a month at times which was amazing and a relatively small OS non bloat size even compared to XP then gave it a special place in my heart.  XP ran like a snail back in those days.  The only shame was (at the time) no true DOS command prompt access (not the Command Prompt) or it would have been the best OS.  If MS had not stopped supporting or forced XP to dominate I think I would still be using it today and be right there with you Tommy.  But now processors are so fast and space isn't an issue XP is still the next best thing and they are trying their best to eliminate it even though 2014 is over 3 years ago.

XP is still kicking on the newest Intel chipsets so far which at one point we thought Haswell was the coffin for it...

@Tommy

Are you still using Windows 2000 because of the Windows Activation factor that XP added or is there some other reason?

Well, I think for me, it's because Windows 2000 looks like Windows 98 in disguise. I know there are things out there to help make Windows XP look like Windows 98/2000, but to me it's still not enough. The explorer shell for one thing, in anything I've ever come across, is never transformed. Even though it's somewhat useful, I'd rather get rid of the My Places bar, or whatever it is called, I can't remember offhand right now, and replace it with the sidebar from Windows 98/2000. I just have so many fond memories of 98 because it was the first major OS I used and it was from a good time when things were just better and more exciting. But I think one last thing is that because of the work from people like blackwingcat and his unofficial updates, it feels like in some aspects, Windows 2000 is more superior to Windows XP. That may or may not be true but for some reason it just gives me that impression. I actually own a legit copy (maybe, maybe not lol) of WIndows XP that is the volume license copy so it doesn't require activation. I was given it by my computer teacher a long time ago. I'm thinking it was probably the volume license copy from the school district but all those EULAs get so complicated anymore, who knows if it's even valid for them anymore.

I really do have to agree with you @Tommy the windows 2000 interface is my favorite, even though I leave XP (My main OS) at its default 'Fisher-Price Blue' interface.

Even though 95 (with IE4 web update, only difference being no title bar color blending ) , 98 and ME have almost the same interface as 2000, The Windows 2000 shell looks the best to me, and is more stable, from my experience. (although the 95 shell without the web update seems pretty darn stable too)

Edited by Mr.Presario
Rouge commas.

13 hours ago, Tommy said:

Well, I think for me, it's because Windows 2000 looks like Windows 98 in disguise. I know there are things out there to help make Windows XP look like Windows 98/2000, but to me it's still not enough. The explorer shell for one thing, in anything I've ever come across, is never transformed. Even though it's somewhat useful, I'd rather get rid of the My Places bar, or whatever it is called, I can't remember offhand right now, and replace it with the sidebar from Windows 98/2000. I just have so many fond memories of 98 because it was the first major OS I used and it was from a good time when things were just better and more exciting. But I think one last thing is that because of the work from people like blackwingcat and his unofficial updates, it feels like in some aspects, Windows 2000 is more superior to Windows XP. That may or may not be true but for some reason it just gives me that impression. I actually own a legit copy (maybe, maybe not lol) of WIndows XP that is the volume license copy so it doesn't require activation. I was given it by my computer teacher a long time ago. I'm thinking it was probably the volume license copy from the school district but all those EULAs get so complicated anymore, who knows if it's even valid for them anymore.

Well I can't stand XP in default mode.  Probably why a lot of 95/98/2000 users were turned off by it initially.  The whole cartoonish looking interface.  Luckily all these can be shut off.

But just change it to Windows Classic Mode and Classic Start Menu, Add Quick Launch back, De Group similar tasks, Remove Graphical Animations, Remove Windows Default Sound Scheme to No Sounds, Add 98SE fresh install Welcome Startup sound as your new Windows start up sound.  Change Background from Blue to Black.

Disable the Dog from File Search.

This pretty much gets XP looks like 98/2000 for the most part.  There are some other minor adjustments aside from this that I tag on but since I've used all three for many years I like that user interface the most.  Even Vista gets props for keeping the Quick Launch.

There were some snappier shorter delays on the 98/2000 Windows animations popping up which probably could be done on XP but I haven't tried.

As for which updates made Windows 2000 Superior?  Maybe BWC can add those to XP.

One thing I remember Windows 2000 couldn't do on a small laptop screen was increase the font size of the desktop icons and icons text as large as XP could.  Was there some fix to improve this?

That XP version you have probably exists everywhere in China and India but if they had made XP the same as 2000 not requiring activation I am sure people would be using XP as long as possible like BWC for 2000.

What system are you using Windows 2000 on?

Edited by 98SE