fable lost chapters on windows 95

cov3rt

i had researched fable the lost chapters and noticed that it uses opengl, i was wondering if  you can bypass the directx 9.0c requirement it has someway and make it run still on older operating systems such as windows 95 that only supports up to dx8.0a but fully support opengl. i had researched and a source had mentioned that fable requires a minimum of directx 8.0 pixel programmable pixel shader 1.1 which directx 8.0a does support, 8.0a supports up to 1.3 pixel shader, so with that being said, is there any way to bypass the error it gives of the directx 9 dll file, like tricking the system in thinking it has the updated directx 9 file or some other way, or is it more complicated than this? 

i have tested this myself a while back by copying the fable program into the windows 95 pc and trying to run it, and it just threw the directx 9 error. 

Fable requires these DLL files:

Przechwytywanie.PNG.7ab37f07fa78d68e9d9b8eb7d26e2d5d.PNG

As you can see, it does not use OpenGL at all, it uses DirectX 9.0 which only truly works under 98SE and newer.

The files D3D9.DLL (main DX9.0 file) and D3DX9_25.DLL (supplementary DX9.0 file, many versions were made up from _24 to _43), makes it impossible to run this game under Win95. These files all work only under 98SE, sorry. You can try copying the missing files from this list from a DirectX 9 installer, but it will certainly not work.

Where did you get the info this game uses OpenGL?

Edited by MrMateczko

8 hours ago, MrMateczko said:

Fable requires these DLL files:

Przechwytywanie.PNG.7ab37f07fa78d68e9d9b8eb7d26e2d5d.PNG

As you can see, it does not use OpenGL at all, it uses DirectX 9.0 which only truly works under 98SE and newer.

The files D3D9.DLL (main DX9.0 file) and D3DX9_25.DLL (supplementary DX9.0 file, many versions were made up from _24 to _43), makes it impossible to run this game under Win95. These files all work only under 98SE, sorry. You can try copying the missing files from this list from a DirectX 9 installer, but it will certainly not work.

Where did you get the info this game uses OpenGL?

thanks for the detailed info, i dont remember where i checked to see if fable uses opengl but i noticed i had made another thread a while back for this same exact topic and i had mentioned that wikipedia had mentioned fable as using opengl, but i guess that was wrong information at the time and i actually did not find it after doing a quick google search of list of opengl games on wikipedia, and the dependency walker tool apparently shows it as not using opengl at all like you said. 

guess il just try fable tlc on 98SE. the experimenting was really to find a nice rpg games with good graphics that works on windows 95, there is dark age of camelot that is similar to wow, the initial system requirements mentioned windows 95 but im not sure if the newer versions / updates will allow working on windows 95, and if its ok to get a little off topic but i really wish they made a game engine level editor for "project igi: im going in" which does work on windows 95, with the exception that you can design the levels or maps in a updated way that allows directx 8.0a capabilities, since the original game only supported directx 7.0, despite looking so realistic and just as good, if not better than some directx 8.0 games.