Windows 9X/ME - USB 2.0 Webcams and Webcam software

98SE

Anyone here successful using USB Webcams and using Webcam software in Windows 9X / ME?

Intel USB 2.0 and NUSB drivers don't appear to have a proper driver to add USB Webcams.

I tried to stress my memory but its hollow.. try old Logitech stuff and search on drivers guide for webcam drivers with Win98 fiter.. There are were webcams even i ancient times, they were for rich bastards, but they were.. I remember some episode of Computer chronicles with them, BTW great retro second / third monitor stuff..

I got a Microsoft Lifecam HD-6000 but it detects but no driver in 98SE.

In XP any Webcam can be hooked up and you can display the video without needing any software through My Computer.

Was there any 9X/ME generic webcam driver or software to use any USB webcam on it?

• 6 years later...
On 8/26/2017 at 7:48 PM, ABCDEFG said:

I have Microsoft LifeCam VX-500

it don't need any drivers or additional software, it's Plug&Play works in win98/98se/me/2k/xp...

I also have one of these. I am sure mine is not compatible, out of the box, with Win98. It is probably not compatible with any Win9x. Maybe not even Win2k (haven't tried). For sure XP is supported. Maybe it is a model number issue; mine is Model# 1357

This is an old thread. I'm just pointing this out, in case someone is hunting for a cam.

It would be a powerful cam, for Win9x. But it seems unlikely to work.

Edited by awkduck

I think this Philips LPT webcam should definitely work...

Your system must meet or exceed the following minimum requirements to use the Philips PCA635VC Camera and related software:

•Windows 95

•Pentium 75 or faster PC

•Bi-directional Parallel Port (ECP Parallel Port for optimal performance)

•16MB RAM

•23MB of free hard disk space (video files may require more disk space)

•CD-ROM drive for application software and drivers

Philips_LPT_webcam.jpg

@Omores That is a pretty neat camera; but I think the aim of the post is for USB 2.0 :)

Many older digital cameras, in the 4 to 12 megapixel era/range, offered software discs or downloads (drivers). They often allowed you to use your camera as a webcam. As long as it wasn't a terrible interpolating camera, you could probably beat the pants off of any Win9x compatible webcam. Just searching now, it didn't take me long to find some, with Win98 support.

• 5 weeks later...

i recently try make "generic" usb a/v driver, using wdmex and sys files from XP ...
i test videocapture with cheap chinese endoscope (de-facto usb cam). its work with Amcap test app.
i test sound playing and recording with cheap chinese usb soundcard. its work even in web browser Mypal.
anyone want test? password 1 (protection from stupid antiviruses).

USBAV9X.7Z

Edited by MERCURY127
forget attach file

Tried with Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 and MS LifeCam VX-500. Win98FE. I have a digital camera to test with, when I find the cable.

"The NTKERN.VXD, MMDEVLDR.VXD device loaders(s) for this device could not load the device driver. (code 2.)"