Is MSFN.org now practically unusable for win-98/Opera 12?

Nomen

After long :) consultation about the opportunity to propose this workaround and having received positive feedback (thanks Schwups) about it, i report here the "fix" for the benefit of all interested users.
Although my suggestion needs the block of a board element (a single CSS), this workaround is only beneficial to users and not detrimental to MSFN, in fact, the advertising box at the top of the page is not affected by it, even better, it come back visible.

All you need is add the following string into the list of the embedded block content of Opera:
http://www.msfn.org/board/uploads/css_built_39/258adbb6e4f3e83cd3b355f84e3fa002_custom.css.afb11b271d1a29fed825457171bab42e*

You can find this list opening the Opera preferences (CRTL+F12) -> advanced -> contents -> block content.

After the application, close and reopen the browser. At least, the pages with the theme Shift default are totally readable now, and also the advertising box at the top of the page come back visible.

Edited by Commodore
Changed URL to block

http://www.msfn.org/board/uploads/css_built_*_custom.css.*

Yes, it works for Opera Presto. I tested 12.02, 11.64, 10.01, 10.1, 10.63 and 12.18 on XP. The Sign in isn't possible directly especially with 11.64. Possible for example: 1. Zoom to max + Fit to Width, 2. Uncheck Page Style sheet, 3. try it via "IPS Default", if necessary uncheck JavaScript for it.

Edited by schwups

Working also in Opera 9.64. I write now through it.
Almost everything much better than 11.64. Sign in and sign out (and all other profile and settings options) are possible by default; also with user menù, unlike 11.64.

This maybe only compatible with Mac OSX, Linux, OS/2...

Thank you so much DOSFreak! A possible fix for browsing web sites in browsers as old as Netscape 4 maybe possible!!!
https://virtuallyfun.com/2014/03/11/web-rendering-proxy-update/
https://github.com/tenox7/wrp

Found another similar concept - it has a Windows port!

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

4 hours ago, MrMateczko said:

What about secure websites, banks, logging in to anything? This is just a gimmick.

Well, one should probably use a more modern computer for those things anyway, for security purposes if nothing else (possible exception: logging into forums about old software, such as this one).

What these proxies do is allow one to browse things, read news sites and perhaps search for things on Google. I don't think that's too gimmicky.

c

On 24.11.2017 at 8:47 PM, Commodore said:

After long :) consultation about the opportunity to propose this workaround and having received positive feedback (thanks Schwups) about it, i report here the "fix" for the benefit of all interested users.
Although my suggestion needs the block of a board element (a single CSS), this workaround is only beneficial to users and not detrimental to MSFN, in fact, the advertising box at the top of the page is not affected by it, even better, it come back visible.

All you need is add the following string into the list of the embedded block content of Opera:
http://www.msfn.org/board/uploads/css_built_39/258adbb6e4f3e83cd3b355f84e3fa002_custom.css.afb11b271d1a29fed825457171bab42e*

You can find this list opening the Opera preferences (CRTL+F12) -> advanced -> contents -> block content.

After the application, close and reopen the browser. At least, the pages with the theme Shift default are totally readable now, and also the advertising box at the top of the page come back visible.

Under the same menu you can change settings in Opera 12 to make a right-click option "Download video" appear on Youtube.

I found this yesterday when testing some setting in the CTRL+F12 menu. Funny how many non working features can be re-enables through this. Know here its  about msfn, but before I found this thing yesterday every video would be in sluggish HTML5 format, and atleast then I could download it to load from the own drive.

Also it seems that with the help of "User Scripts" many things can be customized with Opera that wouldnt work by default. I will check this out the next time Im on my 98se pc and see if I can write on msfn from there.

7 hours ago, Commodore said:

I don't know with Opera 12, but i can say you that my 11.64 shows the save clip video option without any modification.

Didnt check that. And were you able to play the video without Opera lets say with a media player? For me it only worked inside Opera 12.

Btw.: I cant login with Opera mobile 12.1 or Opera mini on Android nor Dolphin mini aswell.

But UC Browser did work atleast in the "Desktop mode".

Seems to be webkit related with msfn.org?! 

I did learn about css once, but I just wonder why being able to login or not has to do with css. I dont want to do as Im over smart  but I always thought CSS is just for design purposes.

For me on Windows 98SE loging in to my msfn.org account didnt work with Opera of Firefox. Aswell it strange that hotmail sometimes will open after login attempt other times it wont. MSFN.org however stopped.

Strange enough "Combedbird 11" crashed when trying to open the Inbox, an fork of firefox version 3.6 accomplished it. I dont however understand why logging into msfn.org doesnt work. Its really strange since the much older IE6 allowes login on msfn.org but ofcourse with crappy design.

Edited by winxpi

You should be able to play downloaded Youtube videos with VLC. I have experimented downloading the same video from Opera and with youtube-dl, in the former case I got a small size clip with VP8 video and vorbis audio in a webm container, in the latter case I got a 1080p clip with AVC video and Opus audio in an mkv container. Both play fine with VLC 2.2.8 which is current latest stable version. I can play them fine too in Zoom Player MAX 12 (Giveaway Edition) which is configured to use system installed Lavfilters (version 0.66.0.10-git).

Edited by loblo

11 hours ago, winxpi said:

And were you able to play the video without Opera lets say with a media player? For me it only worked inside Opera 12.

Yes, only inside Opera. You can follow the loblo suggestion or try a conversion in another video format.

Anyway, this is off topic. Maybe, you should to start a new topic.