Ultimate 98SE PC - Ultimate Disappointment

MrMateczko

There is one experiment either of you can try. This will test if the AHCI can be forced off. This applies to the H110 and Z170 Motherboards.
Connect a partitioned and formatted Hard Drive, with at least one working program on it, such as MEM,EXE, to a Motherboard SATA Port, preferably SATA #0 (#1 if no #0).
Boot true DOS.
Run the attached AHCISW Program.
Does it crash, reset, display an error message, or display a completion message?
Does it hang or do you get a new prompt?
Run the program on that Hard Drive. Internal Commands do not count.
Does the program run, or does it hang during loading?
Copy a file to the Hard Drive or within the Hard Drive.
Can you access the new File?

AHCISW.COM

There is one experiment either of you can try. This will test if the AHCI can be forced off. This applies to the H110 and Z170 Motherboards.
Connect a partitioned and formatted Hard Drive, with at least one working program on it, such as MEM,EXE, to a Motherboard SATA Port, preferably SATA #0 (#1 if no #0).
Boot true DOS.
Run the attached AHCISW Program.
Does it crash, reset, display an error message, or display a completion message?
Run the program on that Hard Drive. Internal Commands do not count.
Does the program run, or does it hang during loading?
Copy a file to the Hard Drive or within the Hard Drive.
Can you access the new File?

Because its you :), i did it on https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170M-D3H-rev-10#ov  UEFI / BIOS adjustments (sad is that no IDE mode at bios at all), its my NAS so i dont want to mess with it. 
  FIve 4 disk + dvd rom here. Started from USB Windows 98 installed, all HDDs are NTFS, USB is FAT32.

Pure hang on, no message.
2017-08-24%2022.19.16.jpg

I have also tried Q170T boards, its all the same, same test, again no IDE at all.

Edited by ruthan

15 minutes ago, rloew said:

Why is your background blue not black?

I said it has to be run from true DOS not from a DOS Box even Full-Screen.

I think it's possible to change the background color using CONFIG.SYS and ANSI escape codes like I did for the text color in FIX95CPU.
It's been so long I've forgotten. :blink:

I said it has to be run from true DOS not from a DOS Box even Full-Screen.

Its just text mode coloring used it USB boot flash config, i like it, menucolor parameter, if my memory is ok..

Edited by ruthan

Hello.
I'm back with more observations and things to say.

@rloew - I wish I had the XHDD utility again, I've deleted it in much anger that day, I won't bother sending another e-mail to the author. If I had it, I would test the RAM Patch Demo with the /M switch.
Also, I've tested the APMOFF program, and it shows that APM is not present, so that's why 98SE did not shutdown, why is there no APM?
I've tested the AHCISW.COM program. Both alone, and with "noint" switch, the program just hangs, you can see all of this here:

https://s26.postimg.org/os8qtdoo9/20170831_213516.jpg

@98SE - Installing anything, such as DirectX, or deleting a Folder with 50 files causes a delay proportionally to the amount and size of the files, due to Real Mode disk access.
Alongside 3DMark2001 SE, I also wanted to try out NFS Carbon (while installing it, I got the disk write error BSOD, which scared me), and maybe finally get GTA IV to work now that I had a 512MB GPU. With my previous rig, I got out of video memory errors with my GPU (6600 GT), which is false message, as GTA IV works fine under XP on the same GPU and rig. And also test out Fallout 3 and The Witcher 1 with a more powerful GPU, as I know those work under 98SE (albeit poorly), as I've done it on my previous rig.

As for 98SE as a whole, here's a quote (I've translated it myself) from a Polish guy which wrote here (I recommend translating it in Google Translate, interesting read): https://www.dobreprogramy.pl/wielkipiec/Przypomnijmy-co-to-naprawde-jest-okropny-system-czyli-pare-slow-o-Windows-Millennium,75140.html

Windows 9x itself works due to a miracle. Absolute pure magic, conjured by geniuses such as Aaron Reynolds. It's a dirty workaround around limitations of the archaic MS-DOS system and the temporary VMM model, which by some miracle was managed to be sold by someone. It's arrogant to sell a system based on an endless dead loop, where processes are imitated, memory protection is forged, and drivers work on a three noncooperating with each other layers. By what miracle on such an unstable tower Win32 is created - I have no idea. System was designed to be outdated not in the year 2000, but in 1995 as well. It has been especially seen at the dawn of the millenia. How much of a dead end was to invest in MS-DOS had become apparent with the premiere of multi-core CPUs, and PCs with lots of RAM.

As much as I love 98SE, I do agree with the quote.

Edited by MrMateczko

5 hours ago, MrMateczko said:

why is there no APM?

Because it's an old standard, supposedly made obsolete by ACPI.
Run fdapm.com /acpioff from true DOS. If the machine turns off, it has ACPI.
fdapm, written and conceived by Eric Auer, is part of Free DOS. Version: 11 Sep 2009.
Run fdapm.com /h for more info.

fdapm.7z

On 25.8.2017 at 4:53 AM, LoneCrusader said:

I think it's possible to change the background color using CONFIG.SYS and ANSI escape codes like I did for the text color in FIX95CPU.
It's been so long I've forgotten. :blink:

There was a time in FIDO network, when i got the nick "ANSI" (don't ask why...).

Then, when people expected me to say something, someone posted "ANSI ON" just in the mail before, and when i was done "ANSI OFF" (colors like that). Yeah. The good ole' times... :w00t:

Of course, if one sets up 98SE without ACPI in a machine that's got no APM, it won't auto shut down at the end.
But if one then sets 98SE to start with win.com (so, not automatically) one can use fdapm.com /acpioff just after win.com returns, in the autoexec.bat, so as to recover the auto shut down effect. This is na advanced procedure that may or may not work, and it should be tested in a case-by-case basis.