Running SoftICE with Windows 2000 SP4?

Hello my Win2K friends! :hello:

Has anyone here been able to successfully run SoftICE under Windows 2000 SP4?

If so,
what version of SoftICE did you use?
did you have any updates for that version installed?
any special registry settings or other settings you had to modify?
any updates beyond SP4 installed on your Win2K?
what hardware did you run it on?
what specific video card and what video driver version did you use?

I've combed the Internet and tried just about everything that I've been able to dig up but SoftICE keeps crashing out when the machine boots and causes the machine to restart in an infinite loop.

Thanks in advance!

10 hours ago, Dibya said:

I use softie in xp sp3 it does work . So donot see problem with 2K either.  Are doing kernel mode or user mode debugging? 

What version? On what hardware?

I'm debugging a driver, or rather tracing what a couple of specific 2K-compatible drivers do when running in their normal environment under 2K and comparing it to how the driver operates under 98SE. (we are trying to backport two 2K-compatible drivers to 98SE) So I need SoftICE to be working under 2K SP4 on the same machine where I already have it working under 98SE to compare.

1 hour ago, Dibya said:

Kernel mode debugging you are doing . Oh well . My version is 1.99 . The pc is old xeon single core with 4gb ram .

SoftICE 1.99? I don't think I've ever heard of that... :unsure:
The versions I see mentioned most are 4.05 and 4.2.7., apparently both of which were produced pre-2KSP4 and pre-XPSP2 and require fixes to work under those systems.

5 minutes ago, LoneCrusader said:

SoftICE 1.99? I don't think I've ever heard of that... :unsure:
The versions I see mentioned most are 4.05 and 4.2.7., apparently both of which were produced pre-2KSP4 and pre-XPSP2 and require fixes to work under those systems.

I will check once and say you . I also donot remember the version properly. But end is .9 

13 hours ago, Dibya said:

I will check once and say you . I also donot remember the version properly. But end is .9 

Post a snapshot of the Splash screen that shows the version number for it - "hide your name and serial number if you need to." Does it work in 98/ME?

:ph34r:

On 8/15/2017 at 11:12 AM, jaclaz said:

There were separate different releases for 9x/Me and NT family.

jaclaz

What were the final release versions for the corresponding

9X/ME

and

NT family of this program?

Any superior older versions which sometimes happens as not every new version is the best imo.

Who knows?

That I know of:

SoftIce 4.05 for Win9x

SoftIce 4.05 for WinNT/2000/XP

SoftIce 4.2.7 Win9x/ME

SoftIce 4.2.7 NT/2000/XP

4.05 should be last "self-standing" version, 4.2.7 is AFAIK part of a "Driver Suite" or "DriverStudio" which is already after Compuware bought Numega, buit most probably later versions of DriverStudio do still include in a form or the other SoftIce.

We are talking here of something which last 4.05 "self standing" version was issued around 2000:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoftICE

http://www.angelfire.com/bug/ass_1/Readme.htm

and support ended in 2007 or so:

http://www.techtalkz.com/microsoft-device-drivers/251085-compuware-abondoning-softice-driverstudio-suite.html

jaclaz