Can you boot from a External USB DVD Writer?

Scuba Steve

I was wondering if anyone ever tried booting from a external usb dvd writer and got it working.

None of our systems have dvd drives in it and our XP corporate images is too large to fit on a cd. I was wondering if its better to use a dvd or is it better to use several cds.

Since I only have 1 external dvd drive, it wouldn't be the most efficient way to install the load to several systems. Is it hard to use multiple cds?

Thanks,

Justin

If they all support booting from a usb drive, you should be able to use the dvd-rom to do it. If not, multiple disks is the only way to go, but I don't know exactly how it would be done. How have you tried making the ISO? I was able to build an image of XP Home/XP Pro that still fit on one CD using the guide here.

well....

boot from an external drive might not be possible. It would depend on the the BIOS. I have a DVDROM connect to a ATA133 card, but I can't boot to it. Mine have to be directly on the Primary/Secondary buses.

Since you'd be in a corporate environment, it may be better if you were able to do an install over a network. That would keep you from moving, and you could do many at once (depending on the network anyways)

Ok, so a network install is the best method to do this. Is there a site as good as this one to help me figure out how to do it?

I am new to the unattended setup and could really use some help getting started.

Let me know,

Justin