Forum upgrade to v4.2!

xper

4 minutes ago, JodyT said:

Looks lie Opera doesn't render anti-aliasing fonts properly, no?

:(

And Iron too.

So, let's declare that a board whose scope is at least partially that of supporting older, now unsupported OS's like - say - Windows 9x/Me and XP but including your beloved Vista, is not accessible anymore by browsers that run in them, except - maybe (I haven't tested it nor I am going to test that) -  this or that half@§§edly modified Firefox.

We could also close 1/2 to 3/4 of the board's sections and leave only  Windows 7 and later related sections, since that is anyway what the majority of users run., even better, hardcode a check to make sure that only Windows 10 is run by users accessing the board.

I can understand how MS (and all its shills knowingly or unknowingly) does everything possible to make the online experience of users that do not run Windows 10 (or however a currently supported OS's) a miserable one, but MSFN? :dubbio:

And yes, today I am particularly grumpy :realmad: or at least grumpier than usual :w00t::ph34r:.

jaclaz

5 minutes ago, xper said:

@jaclaz This is how I see your post.

msfn_jaclaz.png

And?

Would you define it as "crispy" or "blurred"?

Or maybe "good enough"?

Test:

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Do you see the two lines above the same or nearly the same?

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

@jaclaz Enlarge picture I posted. It's nice and crispy.

The fact is I can't do anything about your forum issues. I need to keep up with forums software for many
reasons. First one and most important is security. I can't run forum with few years old software. Sorry. Period.

It's kinda like how the Windows XP Forums here at xpforums.com cater to an old OS, however they recently had to upgrade to new forum software, which puts it out of the reach of many compatible browsers.  I hear ya!

Imagine if I were putting out a podcast about "getting back to simplicity and life - and telling people how to get out more and leave the PC and smartphone behind" ... but guess what?

You still need a computer to listen :P

5 minutes ago, xper said:

Enlarge picture I posted. It's nice and crispy.

The fact is I can't do anything about your forum issues. I need to keep up with forums software for many
reasons. First one and most important is security. I can't run forum with few years old software. Sorry. Period.

Ok, if you find that nice and crispy, then it is "good enough".

You happy.

Still, you haven't replied (maybe as said it is just my old Iron) to my test lines.

Here "I" (capital i) is gray, whilst l (small letter L) is darker/crispier.

I have no idea what makes it so, but allow me - notwithstanding my (declared) total ignorance on how web board software works - to believe that security and font choice (or font rendering choices) are VERY unlikely to have ANY connection.

Mind you, I do appreciate all the efforts you made over all these years to keep the board alive and safe (or as safe as possible) :), and thank you for these.

Still, I won't buy that it's "higher security fault" that I cannot read anymore what yesterday was perfectly clear .

There must be *somewhere* a setting to either use a more readable font or change the way the font is rendered, and of course you are perfectly free to NOT change that/those setting(s), no problem.

Anyway sooner or later MSFN will migrate to https and thus be inaccessible by a number of less than up-to-date browsers.

11 minutes ago, xper said:

Period.

Roger.

Out.

jaclaz

9 minutes ago, xper said:

@jaclaz How font looks now? Better, worse or same?

Better, slighlty crispier in Iron.

Worse (if possible) in Opera.

AND SURPRISINGLY, now in QTweb they are AS BAD as in Iron (possibly a bit worse).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Looking at the board in Opera 12.18 (admittedly on Windows 10) I can see some of the effects jaclaz has pointed out, such as "I" (upper case i) looking a bit dimmer than "l" (lower case L), but the difference is not huge, and everything still seems to be pretty legible.
I will try later on using Windows XP and see if that looks different.
:)

5 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Looking at the board in Opera 12.18 (admittedly on Windows 10) I can see some of the effects jaclaz has pointed out, such as "I" (upper case i) looking a bit dimmer than "l" (lower case L), but the difference is not huge, and everything still seems to be pretty legible.
I will try later on using Windows XP and see if that looks different.

Check these two lines in *any* browser you have handy:

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII = 20 x Capital I

llllllllllllllllllll = 20 x small caps L

And report.

jaclaz

OK, now on Windows XP.

IE8 drops into compatibility view, and then looks an awful mess (not unexpected!)
Firefox looks fine, although the lower row appears to have a slight purple tinge to it for some reason.
Opera 12.18 both rows have the apparent purple tinge, and the top row has marginally less contrast than the bottom row.
Google Chrome both rows are lacking contrast, but the top row is worse than the bottom one.
Opera 36 pretty much the same (not surprisingly).
Safari looks like Opera 12.18.

HTH.

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

53 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

Check these two lines in *any* browser you have handy:

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII = 20 x Capital I

llllllllllllllllllll = 20 x small caps L

And report.

jaclaz

There is certainly a difference. I am using Firefox 55 on Windows 7. It shows like this:

3wbVMqsl.jpg

Here it is with 400% zoom:

gFexNW7l.jpg

The IPB CSS fails validation. Would it kill them to fix their syntax errors before pushing new software updates?

Strange how your lines appear to be of different lengths, as if the characters are spaced differently.
I don't see that on any of my browsers.
:dubbio:

Edited by Dave-H
Typo