Could We Please get a non-Beta build?

NoelC

Hi Big Muscle,

I'm not sure whether you read this site any more, and I imagine you have found it tedious to try to keep Aero Glass for Win 8+ working with all the new Windows versions, but given that v1703 is now mainstream, might you consider building your current Beta code in Release mode?

Build 904 is not perfect - I still see occasional DWM crashes in my VM with IE if I browse to e.g., yahoo.com - but it's not too bad otherwise.

Thanks for considering this request.

-Noel

On 10. 8. 2017 at 9:04 PM, dhjohns said:

Next month it will be out of-date.

True. Nobody that keeps up with Windows 10 will be on Build 15063 for much longer.

6 hours ago, Zod said:

It would be nice, but now its getting doubtful before the next update comes out and breaks it again :(

Just tried the current Insider Build 16257 and once again, glass effect rendering just makes it crash. If you ensure that AG can only find symbols for ApplicationFrame.dll (ApplicationFrame.pdb ), other functions work as they do on Win10 Build 15063 with the current beta version of Aero Glass 1.5.4.904. The only log entry that seems relevant says:

CDrawingContext::DrawVisualTree failed 0x80004002

I'm also experiencing intermittent DWM.exe crashes when Chrome browser tabs are detached (tab dragged off a window to form a new window). Otherwise, I'm really happy with the new build.

Thank you Big Muscle - much appreciated!

I am not seeing crashes while using the new Release build.

I did see some failures when I set my Win 10 v1703 system to auto-logon via netplwiz, though I'm not sure that has anything to do with Aero Glass.  I've disabled that for now.

I just installed the Chrome browser to test...  I don't seem to be able to crash it by dragging a tab off a window to make a new window.  Nor can I reproduce a crash by moving small windows.

This is the full set of files I'm running:

AeroGlassFiles.png

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

4 hours ago, NoelC said:

I am not seeing crashes while using the new Release build.

4 hours ago, NoelC said:

I did see some failures when I set my Win 10 v1703 system to auto-logon via netplwiz,

Probably caused by UxTSB.dll injection with CreateRemoteThread, which is unreliable and dangerous. My Win10 virtual machine had these issues, including crashing on logon until I switched back to AppInit_DLLs method with UxTSBLoader. It's not just security software that can interfere with injection, the timing can be way off and cause problems as well. If I couldn't use AppInit_DLLs method, I'd probably just go with patching system files directly, there aren't a lot of options in that department.