MSFN will be online as long as donations allow

Tripredacus

As a user of one of, if not the most maligned version of Windows on the planet, this devastates me. If this really is the end, we can only hope that there's an alternative forum that even comes close to the amount of respect, tolerance, and professionalism that I really admire and appreciate about MSFN. Sure, not everyone here can agree on everything (as with every forum), but asserting your opinion in a disrespectful manner just isn't tolerated here, and that is one of the best traits of this forum that I haven't really seen elsewhere. There is also an insurmountable library of information here that is completely unmatched by any other forum, and I hope we're able to salvage at least most of it. I've already backed up my Last versions of software for Windows Vista/2008 list to a Word document (external links intact), with the intention to post it on an alternative forum if/when MSFN goes offline, and it has been backed up to WayBack machine as well (kudos to @11ryanc for doing this for me). The question is... what forum won't blast me for using Windows Vista, without shoving Windows 10 in my face? :(

R.I.P. MSFN...

Edited by 2008WindowsVista

Some of you guys I would like to keep in-touch with. I can be reached here https://www.techtalk.cc/index.php

You don't need to register or anything, just shoot me a PM and let me know who you are. Thanks. We need to archive every page on here in the wayback machine. So much will be lost.....

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

... I was about to post August 2017 updates for WS2008, applicable to Windows Vista SP2, in this thread, when I became aware of the devastating news... :o

I usually hesitate to register to forums, what with making my e-mail address available to others, but never for a moment on MSFN; it's true I only joined one and a half years ago, but was a guest many years prior...

The wealth of information that has accumulated over the years is simply overwhelming; it'd be such a pity if all went away just like that...

Thanks to all members who already gave me 32 reps with just 34 posts - I pale in comparison to all the knowledgeable people here...

@2008WindowsVista

Vista being my preferred OS, I have always valued greatly your Vista related posts; I fear I might have to move to Win7 or Win8.1 soon as my main OS (but no way to Win10), your Vista transformation guides of Win7 and (yet to be published) Win8.1 was one of the few reasons I'm even considering the OS upgrades... Are they to be found somewhere else?

I think I'll pm you my e-mail address so you could please notify me of your eventual new "home"...

I really do not know if I'll be able to back up anything (the real question is where to start from?); 12 August 2017, but at what time and on what timezone? I am myself on UTC+03:00 currently (EEST), so little time left...

I suspect Google cache will retain some pages for some days, but... :(

At the forum maintainers: Thank you for an excellent service to a broader community :wub:

Edited by VistaLover

This is one of the few forums I have created an account, and it really makes me sad to see it will be taken offline. I have not found another forum where people try to keep using older OSes, use OSes they actually want to use and try to keep it alive. Is there absolutely nothing we can do about it? I think everyone donating money today won't make a difference anymore... :(

Any one please get this forum or help xper to maintain it?  Please do not close msfn . This is the place where I got so many friends of mine .Please anyone listen to me

Edited by Dibya

Good bye friends.  You can reach me over wincert or Ryanvm forum or over skype dibyasamanta90@Hotmail.com 

Anyone can archive my posts like extendedxp over Web archive? 

@xper will our beloved forum come back one day ? Can you move it to free forum platforms? 

Edited by Dibya

i was a member for  just a short time, but i'm devastated.

:(

i can be reached at <redacted email> .com

shoot me a line or two sometime

skype should be <redacted invalid information>, will verify this and update tomorrow...

Edited by i430VX

If it's okay with the admins here, I have decided to create a tribute video for MSFN and I uploaded it to my somewhat well-known YouTube channel. It is unlisted for now, and I will publish it on August 12, 2017 IF MSFN is officially offline then.

The main purpose of the video is for archive purposes more than anything, just to briefly browse through the site before it gets taken down. It is quite short as I wanted to be able to fit it to a single song, and it's really only a small glimpse into this large library of information. I tried to choose well-known topics in the Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Vista, and one notable topic from the Windows 8 forum (Server 2012 updates on Win8), since this website was more well known for supporting older operating systems. This video probably could've been better made, but I don't really want to bore people with just scrolling through random topics for 10 minutes or more (we have Wayback machine for that :))

Here's the link to the video, for those interested (if you see your main profile page in the vid and want it removed, please let me know and I won't hesitate to edit it out and reupload. There's only a couple of profiles featured in the video for just a few seconds so I don't think it'll be a problem):

It's easy to get the Wayback Machine to save any page from the forum so it won't be lost.  But is there any way to get it to make a snapshot of the entire site as it looks today so all the info on the site will be able to be searched and easily accessed?

Cheers and Regards