Windows 98 utility to show HardwareID of devices?

ruthan

Hello,
im looking for Windows 98SE compatible utility to show HardwareID, in XP+ you can find it in Device manager, i Windows 98 is somewhere in registry, but i would like to use something better, if it is availaible??? I have tried Unknow device identifier, but version which i tried show only some memory error and nothing..

I have a tool called SCANPCI that lists all Hardware IDs on the PCI Bus. It does not identify what they are. You would need to go to the PCI IDs Website to find out what they are.

Writing a Program to read the Registry would provide more information, but only for recognized Devices.

9 hours ago, dencorso said:

Try  the original Unknown Devices.

Its working, but show only Unknow devices, i would like to see all, especially in situation where some device has problematic driver, wrong driver or you wonder this device name is acctually which device.. Its can help sometimes but not its not ideal (replacement of device manager from modern Windows)

I have a tool called SCANPCI that lists all Hardware IDs on the PCI Bus. It does not identify what they are. You would need to go to the PCI IDs Website to find out what they are.

Writing a Program to read the Registry would provide more information, but only for recognized Devices.

I would like to see some output picture, because just Hardware ID without other information are almost useless how data are visually displayed really matters. I would need map HardwareID with device in Device manager screen, with drivers, something like used driver files in next collumn would help, etc..

Thanks i will check it.

SIV is nice, lots of info, too lots for me now, but i find what i looked under PCI-DeviceID.

Only flaw is that it also dont like my Asrock board and probably its Asmedia Sata controler, if i run x64 version i got bluescreen, but its same with HWinfo (when i run it permanently disconnect my data SATA disk and i need cold boot to make it working again). Asrock sucks, but i needed specific on board device HW combination..

Well, you asked for a "Windows 98" compatible utility, that is what was suggested, and yes, SIV provides LOTS of info but more is better when looking for hardware ID's :).

The fact that its x64 version doesn't work on your (crappy Asrock) hardware under another (unknown) 64 bit OS should be not relevant (though of course SIV normally works under *all* Windows OS, maybe it is really because of the peculiarities of your hardware).

While it would probably be "too much" to ask the nice Ray Hinchliffe to modify/fix an issue on a today "rare" OS such as Windows 98, he might be interested to a report about the 64 bit error :unsure:, as such bug reports are what have helped over the years into making SIV into such a complete/good tool.

There are some instructions on the homepage on how/what to send him under "Issue Reporting" near the bottom of the page.

jaclaz

HWINFO.EXE (with the /UI switch to show the...well, UI :) ) that comes natively with 98SE on the Windows folder, also sorta works. I've used it. Here's a sample screenshot:

t01220030414shu01_C.gif

It shows the Device Name exactly like in the Device Manager as well as the exact Registry Key.

Also, nice find about the SIV, will take a look at it, while I run 98SE again, for PC listings, I've used AIDA64 on 98SE for many months now. It runs natively without KernelEx as well, even the latest portable version.