Internet Explorer 10 on Vista

burd

1 hour ago, Mr.Presario said:

considering its a preview, does it function like IE10? does it render differently (better, hopefully) then IE 9 does?

well slight text that arent visible on ie9 do appear but other than that i dont really know, why dont you recommend some websites to test and ill show the comparison

It doesnt render like IE10 for sure as i tried ie10 final in windows 7,but its slightly better than ie9 final according to me but i dont really know havent tried any good websites :D

Edited by burd

8 minutes ago, JodyT said:

Hmmm - I wonder if the same trick can bring IE 11 to Windows 8 :)

probably,but i dont suggest doing it anyhow because win8(Server2012) gets patches for ie10, you might try for experimental purposes? :dubbio:

8 hours ago, burd said:

You Need To Download Internet Explorer 10 Platform Preview, Extract it and Run it in Vista its that simple.

... First thing I did was to have a read of wiki's entry for IE10; according to them, there were in total six IE10 Platform Previews released; the first two ran on Win7+, but the last four ran only on Win8.

Did your successful test involve IE10 Platform Preview 1 ? It appears that "the first preview release came four weeks after the final release of Internet Explorer 9", so it might be that the code hadn't diverged much then from IE9 Final, hence your ability to run it on Vista...

I managed to grab myself a copy of iepreview.msi file, with a digital signature of 2011-11-22 (probably Platform Preview 2), but am reluctant to run it on my main Vista SP2 laptop; what impact, if any, did it have running on your system? Running just the extracted iepreview.exe (hence in semi-portable mode), how was the (installed) version of IE9 affected? ... and what about file associations and the like?

Intriguing as your experiment seems, I think it's just that - an experiment; this IE10PP(1?) can't be used as a permanent replacement to IE9, plus it won't receive any security updates from MS; while, OTOH, IE9, with all its inherent flaws, will be patched until Jan 2020...

BTW, have you tried running the .msi directly? I did myself; it doesn't warn me of an incompatible OS, in fact it appears as though the installation will proceed once I accept ToS:

IE10PP2-setup.jpg.eafa4e6066d134335413323037882d55.jpg

I haven't though, and cancelled the installation...

OTOH, trying to run IE10-Windows6.1-x86-en-us.exe (off-line installer for Released IE10 for Win7) alerts me to the fact that:

ie10x86-setup.jpg.76bc09e2f3003966c6f2ba8dc3d3f0c1.jpg

On a later date, when I'm feeling more adventurous, I might create a Restore Point and then go on with the ie10pp installation, just for the sake of it... :)

2 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... First thing I did was to have a read of wiki's entry for IE10; according to them, there were in total six IE10 Platform Previews released; the first two ran on Win7+, but the last four ran only on Win8.

Did your successful test involve IE10 Platform Preview 1 ? It appears that "the first preview release came four weeks after the final release of Internet Explorer 9", so it might be that the code hadn't diverged much then from IE9 Final, hence your ability to run it on Vista...

I managed to grab myself a copy of iepreview.msi file, with a digital signature of 2011-11-22 (probably Platform Preview 2), but am reluctant to run it on my main Vista SP2 laptop; what impact, if any, did it have running on your system? Running just the extracted iepreview.exe (hence in semi-portable mode), how was the (installed) version of IE9 affected? ... and what about file associations and the like?

Intriguing as your experiment seems, I think it's just that - an experiment; this IE10PP(1?) can't be used as a permanent replacement to IE9, plus it won't receive any security updates from MS; while, OTOH, IE9, with all its inherent flaws, will be patched until Jan 2020...

Extracted in Windows 7 and it didnt affect IE11,it created another directory"Internet Explorer Platform Preview" in Programs x86 and nothing was affected,i dont suggest using these anyways, IE 10 final wont work on Vista according to me,ive installed IE10 on 7 and bypassed the error you showed,it comes up with many errors following it,but i may try again to see if it works.

Edited by burd

On Πέμπτη, 3 Αυγούστου 2017 at 3:10 AM, JodyT said:

Hmmm - I wonder if the same trick can bring IE 11 to Windows 8 :)

Yes, Internet Explorer 11.0.11 (if you can find it).

Personally I have version 11.0.7, see below:

I had the impression that IE 11 is supported on Windows 8 too. Supported on Windows 7 and not on Windows 8? Not anymore perhaps but I have stored the last version of IE 11 supported on Windows 8 (even if I don't use it at the moment) from Microsoft's site:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17621/internet-explorer-downloads

Now it says that IE 11 is not supported on Windows 8 but this is the page from where I downloaded IE 11 some time ago. Now that I check it the file that I downloaded has the same name with the one for Windows 7 and it is version 11.0.0.7, so if you find version 11.0.0.7 for Windows 7 it must work on Windows 8 too. (You may say that the version reported in the file details has one more zero; I suppose 11.0.0.7 and 11.0.7 is the same).

Edited March 21 by HarryTri

Edited by HarryTri