Creating bootable pendrive using cmd

Roffen

I have a document for creating a bootable pendrive using cmd - for Win7.

There it says that you cannot use the method for XP or Win8, because "you cannot select the primary partition in command prompt."

Since my goal is to install XP, I wonder if, and how I could make a bootable pendrive for installing XP?

I share the same hope,

I just want to make the observation that there used to be a free utility called Rufus that I have use before and it was (and probably is) a very handy tool for creating a bootable installation USB pendrive, but it no longer support XP. Now I will try your recommendation but don't expect much so I won't be disappointed if it doesn't work. I'll know very soon now.

@Dybia

It makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER to provide a link to Softpedia about a program that has been developed RIGHT HERE on MSFN:

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/157-install-windows-from-usb/

@Roffen

The given section of the board is choking full of different ways to install Windows XP from command line (and with a GUI).

The Rufus is AFAIK still compatible with XP, I have been "fighting" as much as I could with Akeo to have him keep the compatibility:

http://reboot.pro/topic/20358-rufus-20-has-been-released/

any source for these news?

The document you are making a reference to:

I have a document for creating a bootable pendrive using cmd - for Win7.

There it says that you cannot use the method for XP or Win8, because "you cannot select the primary partition in command prompt."

is either inaccurate or wrong (or both), as (see again the given board section) it is like 10 years that we do install XP from USB just fine using command line tools.

jaclaz

I have been working all day on this and am pretty exhausted by now. My head is spinning at 7200RPM.

My short term memory isn't quite what it used to be so i have to make printouts of most written info that I find and think may be useful.

I downloaded Rufus 2.15 build 1117 and tried using it, but as far as I can remember, it didn't seem to work as expected. But I'll give it another try.

Tomorrow is another day.

Well, with a lot of patience, I finally managed to get a Rufus installed USB stick with WinXpSp4, and it boots without hesitation, so tomorrow I'll try to install on an Asus VivoPC VM42-S031M computer. It is very small, with a 500GB spinning disk.

17 minutes ago, Roffen said:

Well, with a lot of patience, I finally managed to get a Rufus installed USB stick with WinXpSp4, and it boots without hesitation, so tomorrow I'll try to install on an Asus VivoPC VM42-S031M computer. It is very small, with a 500GB spinning disk.

Hmmm.

It seems like a recent machine, you may have issues with finding suitable drivers for XP. :unsure:

jaclaz

Yes, I've thought about that. It will be a disappointment if it won't run XP. But I am free to return it, only have to pay a small fee. I fell for the small size, but if I can't make what I want out of it, I'll send it back.