OS/2 5.0 ??? (Sure, but now it goes by as ArcaOS 5.0)...

It's still 4.52 under the hood, but they allow gif files for icons.  I hated this, and reverted the icons back to OS/2 3.x.

It does not like using any of the VPC stuff under Windows, but the work-around is to share a second disk with two VMs (OS/2 eComStation and acroOS.

It comes with a mob of jpg backgrounds, which look nice, but these are replicated some five times for different resolutions.

The cracks between 4.52 and the new OS are more visible, as they move more stuff from IBM's installers to new ones.  You can download a lot of stuff from the internet, like linux packages. 

Looks too old for me . Something like somebody from 2017 went to 1999 with time machine. $99 are horrible for the price tag .Lol its cheaper to have xp licence for $9 or so in eBay or getting a free linux distribution.it looks somebody like rloew, wildbill ,blackwingcat  of os/2 community patched the OS back to life . That's pretty awesome but price is not at all awesome . Nearly Rs 8000 in India so I can have Gigabyte h110m , a 8gb ram stick and pentium g4040 on that price  . . If they half the price I am in . It basically running a outdated fork of Firefox esr and OpenOffice. That's pretty cool in such old os . I think os/2 system files like portable executable file or something like that . I said so as great god ( may be great devil) microsoft uses PE files .they only made os/2 as heard stories from granny.  Have they asked IBM for permission or its legal to patch obsolete stuffs. ?

Edited by Dibya

6 hours ago, Dibya said:

Looks too old for me . Something like somebody from 2017 went to 1999 with time machine. $99 are horrible for the price tag .Lol its cheaper to have xp licence for $9 or so in eBay or getting a free linux distribution.it looks somebody like rloew, wildbill ,blackwingcat  of os/2 community patched the OS back to life . That's pretty awesome but price is not at all awesome . Nearly Rs 8000 in India so I can have Gigabyte h110m , a 8gb ram stick and pentium g4040 on that price  . . If they half the price I am in . It basically running a outdated fork of Firefox esr and OpenOffice. That's pretty cool in such old os . I think os/2 system files like portable executable file or something like that . I said so as great god ( may be great devil) microsoft uses PE files .they only made os/2 as heard stories from granny.  Have they asked IBM for permission or its legal to patch obsolete stuffs. ?

Yes like eComstation, Blue Lion (or sorry - ArcaOS) is a licensed finished product, and IBM allowed licensed use of the final OS/2 with the convenience pack and security update installed.  The Blue Lion folks just added their own toys like eComstation did.

I tried running eComstation 2x on a VM a couple years ago.  QTWeb was about the only browser I could reliably get working, but it was slow as snot.  These companies are trying to cash in on a deprived market who want a new OS/2 version on bare metal.  For eComstation, you had to buy the release of OpenOffice that they had available.  Completely silly I think.

:(

If they had a Retro Consumer Plan, say, US$25 for a lifetime license with driver pack for new hardware and no support but for a hobbyist forum, they might get a much wider market. As it is, I think only corporate users may have some interest in the so-called ArcaOS.

==========///==\\\==========

OTOH, this may be really interesting: OpenVMS is back! And there's a x86 version in the works (although it's still just vaorware, at this point). Some more info about it in this report. :w00t:

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017年7月31日 at 8:28 AM, dencorso said:

If they had a Retro Consumer Plan, say, US$25 for a lifetime license with driver pack for new hardware and no support but for a hobbyist forum, they might get a much wider market. As it is, I think only corporate users may have some interest in the so-called ArcaOS.

==========///==\\\==========

OTOH, this may be really interesting: OpenVMS is back! And there's a x86 version in the works (although it's still just vaorware, at this point). Some more info about it in this report. :w00t:

IIRC OpenVMS is porting to x86_64(AMD64/EM64T), not x86-32.