Force secondary GPU (G1030) as primary videocard, when in first pci-e slot is Geforce 7950GT.

ruthan

Hello,
im trying to force Geforce 1030 as primary video card on Asus M5A97 R2.0 - AMD970 AM3 board.

Problem is that i got display output only on G7950GT, even when is this card disabled in Device manager or set to PCI VGA driver. I dont care about output during booting, but when Windows 7 - i need to get Geforce 1030 as primary videocard, i need to have Geforce 7950GT in primary slot, because of old OS. 

Problem even is machine booted, i have got strange mode - when display drivers are ok, in as display manager i have VGA safe service, there is setting in Nvidia panel to change primary video card, but i can start it, because im getting message that not display is connected to Nvidia adapter so wizzard cant start..
   Problem could be that Nvidia - 7950GT is using Geforce 309 driver and Geforce 1030 - 384 driver. I dont care about Geforce 7950GT is possible to set Windows 7 to completly ignore this card or pci-e slot where it is would be nice.. 

When is G1030 only card in first or second slot it works great.

Edited by ruthan

I read it, im not care about SLI, how it suppose to help in my case, what you mean that i missing? I dont thing that is related to my problem.

Only sentes were im not sure is:

Now, set bind your desktop to the secondary card in "Display settings" on XP and/or/W10, if still necessary, and reboot.

Im not aware such setting in Windows 7, there is only selection of primary GPU in Nvidia driver panel - but panel is not working with my setup.

Some pictures:

2DualGPUmyCard.png

2GPUsAllErrors.png

2GPUsGeforceDrivers.png

Edited by ruthan

In Windows 9x? Check the ">1GB" thread--it contains a large list of high-end hardware success stories.

I checked the list, but there is not quite similar machine like mine, ragnargd has only G7950 + G950 with Win10..  Nobody with Geforce 7xxx + New Geforce 200/400/500/600+ etc.. card and Windows 7.  If im not wrong driver model of Windows 10 is other that in Windows 7.. I dont care of XP, because Geforce 1030 is not supported by XP, there is G7950 still ok.

Simple fix, would be force Windows 7 to completly ignore Geforce 7950GT or first PCI-E slot, but dont know if such utility exist.. Otherwise its problematic, 2 nvidia cards, using same file location for their drivers, and even when is card in primary pci-e slot disabled or in with VGA driver and disable, there is still not picture on second card, or proper Windows 7 driver loaded..

Other solution would be utility to force primary videocard indepedently on vendors GPU drivers..

Yeah there is settings of primary Nvidia GPU in nvidia panel - when it is working, maybe someone could monitor Registry with something like Regmon and point me, which value is changed after using Nvidia control panel and we can fix it through some *.reg file. .. But i never so, this panel used with 2 Nvidia cards, only for Integrated and Nvidia dGPU selection.
   There is some video:

Edited by ruthan

Two posts split from: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/175734-research-on-am3-board-and-chipsets-resume/

Sorry, but i dont undestand. What you are trying to say? I read Dual GPU stunt section, its not helping in my case.. Im advancing in this discussion a bit more on Guru3D, it looks that 2 Nvidia Gpus with Win 7 is not go.

That thread is in the Win9x section, so Win XP and newer content for that area is not supposed to be there. I moved the two posts from the Win9x thread to this thread in the Windows 7 section. If you have any more questions about this change, you can PM me instead of posting a reply.