Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Sign in to follow this  
hjsuffolk14@gmail.com

Windows ME Service Pack

Version 3.01B: The problem "The dialog box to unplug or eject hardware doesn't open anymore" isn't fixed by removing USBMON.dll. The "unplug" of the USB device doesn't work. There must be another cause.

On ‎12‎.‎12‎.‎2017 at 10:29 PM, schwups said:

Version 3.01B: The problem "The dialog box to unplug or eject hardware doesn't open anymore" isn't fixed by removing USBMON.dll. The "unplug" of the USB device doesn't work. There must be another cause.

setupapi.dll (from xp?) update is the evil king here.

:thumbupYes, apparently that's the culprit. After replacing setupapi.dll with the original 5.0.2195.1526 the dialog box opens.

Allo !

After a long abscence of Win9x stuff I kind of return. I'm very happy to see WinME getting some love and this Service Pack is great.

I'd like to report a bug though, some component in the service pack seems to assume Windows directory being "C:\WINDOWS" and I saw an error at some point during the installation on my setup where Windows is installed into "C:\WINME". Unfortunately I cannot give any more details than that.

The USB safer removal problem got fixed by restoring original SETUPAPI.DLL file, that also fixed a problem with Windows showing inaccessible drive error on a blue screen when restarting or shutting down after you had removed a memory card from an USB reader.

Does the service pack restore MS-DOS boot ? It would be a nice addition if it doesn't, I even wrote a small patching tool that I use on my machines to stop REGENV32.EXE from wiping AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS and I won't have issues with it being used in the service pack.

Here are bugs + fixes (workarounds) for some issues in the SP. You can use it to  prevent further issues. Its all listed in the U98SESP3.CHM file.

Custom Start Menu Banner and Icons - Users that would like their own custom start menu banner, download them here. After choosing the banner you prefer, rename banner to EX157.BMP and then run U98SESP3.EXE. DoNOT check any options! Navigate to C:\Windows\Temp directory. Search for the extracted Service Pack files, once found, copy EX157.BMP to that SPECIFIC directory, exit folder. Check the option Windows Millennium Edition/Windows 2000 Theme. Main Updates will revert this back to its original theme. You MUST install this option after Main Updates.

DirectX 9c - If you use 98lite to remove Internet Explorer and DirectX on a clean/virgin install, then you need to install Main Updates before installing the latest DirectX version. 

Rloew Patches - If you are using any of rloew patches, you must do the following. Backup all of your patches to a safe location. Install Main Updates (only). Restart your computer, then navigate to pure dos mode. Replace all of your patches from the backup location. Start windows and select the remaining options you desire from SP3.x. 

SETUPAPI.DLL - Version 5.1.2600.5512 does not display Safely Remove/Unplug/Eject Hardware box in Windows 9x when using WinXP version of SETUPAPI.DLL. This is by design and is NOT a bug. It works perfectly fine on the Win9x systems. Ignore the issue or replace file with original version. 

USB 2.0 - Install U98SEUSB.EXE inside C:\Windows\System directory if you would like updated USB drivers. Unplug all USB devices. Remove all current USB/EHCI drivers + controllers from Device Manager in safe mode. REBOOT! When removing USB drivers while in SAFE MODE, you NEED to be using a PS/2 mouse or keyboard. USB mouse and keyboard drivers MUST be deleted also. Let all drivers redetect on startup. Plug in USB devices one at a time. If a BSOD occurs while updating USB devices, use the VIA Chipset drivers instead. If no new USB drivers have been added, then you only need to do this procedure (Once)! 
Crystal CS423x - These sound card drivers conflict with Service Pack 3.x. To avoid resource problems disable the drivers, install the Service Pack, re-enable the sound card drivers. 

Desktop Icon Layout - Anytime you add or remove new icons on the desktop, you must save a new/updated layout. This allows the extension to update the registry. 

SNMP Security Update - May or may not break network printing. If network printing is broken
install older versions of SNMP + SNMPAPI.DLL. 

Tweak UI - Remove shortcut arrows does not work with the new SHELL32.DLL. Solution http://www.mdgx.com/newtip11.htm#NOARROW 

Windiff File Comparison Utility - If you install this option, open the program located on the desktop, uncheck the Mono colours on the Options tab. This is more of an annoyance than a BUG. You will have to do this everytime you start the app. Sorry! 

Windows Media Player - If you plan to use any version of Windows Media Player (WMP), you need to install it before you install Main Updates or you will get an error message. Follow these instructions and all will be fine. 

Word 97 - Whenever a user opens a .DOC/Document file with WORDPAD.EXE, Word 97 is no longer the default application. Avoid using wordpad if you plan to use Word 97. 

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Hello All.

Sorry for the long absence, I have been very busy with other commitments. However, I will release a new version of the service pack sometime in the near future. In this release, I will look to rectify that USB Bug issue, and I should mention that the INF File does indeed refer to the Windows Directory as "Windows" and not "%sysdir%" which means that for the moment, it will assume that the Windows Directory is named Windows, and not something else. I'll look into this further.

3.02: The dialog box to unplug or eject hardware opens and works.