Restoring Display settings in Control Panel

UCyborg

Looks like those settings aren't completely gone yet (at least in current stable build 15063.483), they deleted references to them from registry. Importing DisplayCPL.reg brings them back. TrustedInstaller privileges required. They did replace the scaling slider with the link to the Settings app. TrueType tuner is there, font sizes can be changed, color calibrator works at first glance, also the link "Adjust brightness" that points to the power panel appears on supported devices eg. laptops.

Edit: Also noticed that reference to Personalization settings is present in registry, so I guess it doesn't appear in Control Panel because something about that specific panel is broken, though it can be invoked using Run dialog:

shell:::{ED834ED6-4B5A-4BFE-8F11-A626DCB6A921}

Should be invokable with this one as well, but it doesn't budge...

control.exe /name Microsoft.Personalization

Edited by UCyborg

• UCyborg changed the title to Restoring Display settings in Control Panel

You're missing a few elements in that shortcut.

Is this what you are trying to achieve?

I'm on Build 16232 and I'm a Slow Ring Insider. If you click any link you WILL be sent to the modern UI though.

Color Picker: C:\Windows\explorer.exe shell:::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\1\::{ED834ED6-4B5A-4bfe-8F11-A626DCB6A921}\pageColorization

Classic Personalize: C:\Windows\explorer.exe shell:::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\1\::{ED834ED6-4B5A-4BFE-8F11-A626DCB6A921}"

ClassicPersonalization.png

colorpicker4.png

2017-05-07 (11).png

2017-05-07 (12).png

Edited by sonikdart1990
You should know what build I'm on.

12 hours ago, sonikdart1990 said:

You're missing a few elements in that shortcut.

True, insufficient for shortcut, but enough if using Run dialog.

You're specifying 2 GUIDs in your shortcuts, it seems the second one is sufficient.

If you click any link you WILL be sent to the modern UI though.

If you replace themecpl.dll and themecpl.dll.mui with the ones from Windows 8.1, links open classic dialogs, but the Display link remains unfucntional, it just opens Libraries. You could probably set up those DLLs to live in peace with new ones with a trick I described in Restoring Manage Wireless Networks GUI on Windows 8+.

Is this what you are trying to achieve?

Managed to bring back Display shortcut to the Control Panel itself, it just puzzles me why Personalization doesn't appear even though it's registered, everything is correct according to this. Maybe MS blacklisted that GUID. Win10 is mess either way.

Here's another shell command:

shell:::{ED834ED6-4B5A-4BFE-8F11-A626DCB6A921}\pageWallpaper
Edited by UCyborg

9 hours ago, UCyborg said:

shell:::{ED834ED6-4B5A-4BFE-8F11-A626DCB6A921}\pageWallpaper

Shell commands need a shell. That command is invalid because it lacks a shell reference.

My commands all check out and are not blacklisted.

Replacing DLLs that work just fine is dangerous and you risk causing DWM-related crashes, making Windows unable to materialize.

Not only did I provide a shell shortcut already, I provided screenshots.

Windows has reset the handles for the Personalization app you know.

The calls now require that you reference a shell (in this case, explorer) in order to redirect a command that would normally send the user to a Modern UI version.

Chain references are broken  - if you click wallpaper in the shell I screenshotted, you will be taken to the Modern UI.

However, if you click Desktop Icons, Sounds, or Screensaver you will stay in the Explorer Shell.

That website you reference hasn't touched a Windows OS since Th2. Their references are out of date. Please note I am running Build 16232 and my shortcuts work.

Because I'm an Insider, I can get the latest information to ensure I'm giving accurate advice to users who find Microsoft's choices a pain in their arse.

Edited by sonikdart1990
Forgot to mention...