XP restore Autoruns setting, when even safe mode boot etc in bluescreen, without whole partition restore?

ruthan

Hello,
i quite often have to edit drivers section of autoruns - remove ghost driver of old devices and software - which werent properly untiled i do it through Autoruns, problem is that i dont know how to quickly save and restore setting changed by Autoruns, so often in end with Bluescreen in boot process even into Safe mode and i dont know how to fix it.. in other way when restore whole installation backup - and thats is very time consuming.

I have Create restore points and after - use Last know working configuration option, but it doesnt working to this sort of crash.

Lets assume that i have on same machine some other working windows installation to edit files on partition which in booting  after change right know.

So working ghost driver remove would be nice too, but i know its complicated..

Edited by ruthan

17 minutes ago, ruthan said:

Questions are

- if Autoruns change only registry?
- in which files are registry settings saved to backup it and restore it?

I am not sure to understand the questions.

It is not like the Doctor prescribed you to run Autoruns, you are talking of ghost drivers (and I presume services) and possibly not fully uninstalled applications, all things that "reside" in the Registry, if you use Autoruns ONLY for those items you listed, then SURELY it will only change the Registry, but of course if when you use it you also delete files, etc. restoring a backup will not recreate the same situation as before .

The Registry is built on-the-fly at boot time from the assembling of a number of "backing files", typically:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/307545/how-to-recover-from-a-corrupted-registry-that-prevents-windows-xp-from

c:\windows\system32\config\system
c:\windows\system32\config\software
c:\windows\system32\config\sam
c:\windows\system32\config\security
c:\windows\system32\config\default

+ the users hive(s) in each profile "NTUSER.DAT".

The suggested ERUNT is a handy tool that can backup (and restore via ERDNT) all the needed files.

jaclaz

Im using Autoruns, there is Drivers tab - here is can see all installed drivers, when you delete some old app or change hardware, there are usually ghosts.. There special apps like GhostBuster, DriverView which for deletion of these ghosts.. And for Nvidia, AMD and Intel there is Driver uninstaller.

About backup, Erunt looks nice for backup, but  i want how recovery works when is current installation in nonbootable state.

Ce recovery used for other installation than is actually booted? Or restore is just about replace files - so i can restore it just from Linux boot usb?

Edited by ruthan

52 minutes ago, ruthan said:

About backup, Erunt looks nice for backup, but  i want how recovery works when is current installation in nonbootable state.

And what prevents you from reading the help/documentation? :dubbio:

Here (linked to from the given page):

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt.txt

Guess what the chapters titled:

Restoring the registry with ERDNT - Emergency Scenario I
and

Restoring the registry with ERDNT - Emergency Scenario II

are about?

And BTW:

Experienced users don't even need to use the ERDNT program in other
operating systems to restore a registry backup. Given access to the
appropriate files and folders, the backed up files can simply be
copied back to their original location, as that is all ERDNT does
in "File copy" mode anyway.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

And what prevents you from reading the help/documentation?

Well, im lazy person and i wanted to know if is this Software worth of my time.. and if restore procedure would be complicated i would check other solution.

14 hours ago, ruthan said:

Well, im lazy person and i wanted to know if is this Software worth of my time.. and if restore procedure would be complicated i would check other solution.

And of course you disregarded the trifling detail that maybe making me tell you things that you can easily read yourself is not worth my time. :realmad:

The fact that you are honest (besides lazy) is a good thing however. :)

jaclaz

And of course you disregarded the trifling detail that maybe making me tell you things that you can easily read yourself is not worth my time. 

The fact that you are honest (besides lazy) is a good thing however.

I would say that im pretty time effective, because ask here is best way to gain best time/performance response / help. I think that knowledge should be shared and i really dont like people which think that people should invest lots of time to go to through all dead ends to be worthy enough right answer - i think that this attitude is slowing mankind, i dont need to be jack of all trades.. Nobody force anyone to response here.

2 minutes ago, ruthan said:

I would say that im pretty time effective, because ask here is best way to gain best time/performance response / help. I think that knowledge should be shared and i really dont like people which think that people should invest lots of time to go to through all dead ends to be worthy enough right answer - i think that this attitude is slowing mankind, i dont need to be jack of all trades.. Nobody force anyone to response here.

Well, allow me to doubt that it is "effective" (on the large scale), you see the problem is that you actually come here to find some jacks of all trades, if everyone would do like you there would be very little knowledge, let alone sharing of it.

Or, if you prefer, you gain best time/performance/whatever a the cost of someone else's time/work.

The idea of writing something down and making it easily available is on the contrary that of saving the time needed to point someone to it and telling him what is already written.

If "that" attitude slows mankind, yours (if adopted by the masses) will downright stop it.

As well nobody forces anyone to be polite or grateful, but usually this helps in motivating the jacks of all trades that actually try to help.

jaclaz

Well, allow me to doubt that it is "effective" (on the large scale), you see the problem is that you actually come here to find some jacks of all trades, if everyone would do like you there would be very little knowledge, let alone sharing of it.

I dont agree, your idea would work only in world where would be 1 skill - old OS details, in real multiskill world, it doesnt work. Im not shame im not trying be master of everything and waste of mine time of some details of old OS, when only thing i care with it is gaming on it, these detials are not my primary business or hobby is only obstacle / hurdle in my way..

I think that some people are too much obsessed by tools and by real creation of something own.

21 minutes ago, ruthan said:

I think that some people are too much obsessed by tools and by real creation of something own.

And I think many others rather prefer practicing omphaloskepsis than replying to people who act like you, too. :yes:

9 hours ago, ruthan said:

... when only thing i care with it is gaming on it, these detials are not my primary business or hobby is only obstacle / hurdle in my way..

Ooops :wacko: sorry :( of course reading something would have reduced your precious gaming time, I had missed that, my bad :blushing:.

jaclaz

Ooops  sorry  of course reading something would have reduced your precious gaming time, I had missed that, my bad

Yeah it seems to that im natural leader, born to lead not to read :)