Win98SE debug,normal boot freezing + Rloew patches (RAM/SATA/NVSIZE/AHCI) installation debugging, NVU 82 drivers

ruthan

I just tested Nvsize patch with 512 MB Geforce 7950GT on other clean installation again CONFIGMG Windows protection problem during boot.

I also found NVCHECK bug is not working - i got that NVCHECK not ok, when are more Nvidia cards in slots, even when card which should be checked is in primary slot.

Sorry but errors but could simulated on multiple machines with clean installations and different HW..

A clean installation would be as follows:

1. Partition and Format a Hard Drive with at least one Partition.
2. Place the PATCHMEM, PTCHSATA, SPLIT8MB, PTCHNVSZ, PATCHOPT and PURGEHDC Programs and the SATA.INF File on the Hard Drive.
3. Boot from the Windows Installer CD and Install using the SETUP /p i Option.
4. Do not Partition or Format from the CD.
5. Run the Installer until the first crash.
6. Press RESET.
7. Select Command Prompt Only from the Boot Menu.
8. Run the PATCHMEM and PTCHSATA Programs.
9. Add a line to run the SPLIT8MB Program to your AUTOEXEC.BAT File.
9. Copy the SATA.INF File to the WINDOWS\INF Folder.
10. Reboot and complete the Installation.
11. If you get a BSOD relating to the Disk Drives, run PURGEHDC and reboot.
12. Install the nVidia 82.69 Driver but do not reboot.
13. Run PTCHNVSZ and PATCHOPT Programs.
14. Reboot

This is very similar to what i did, i can do it again right by this tutorial, but if erorrs occur what we will finally do, what logs etc, you need?

LoneCrusader:  As i wrote, i already did clean install and its the same.. I have some experience and there sorf of bugs.. and i think, that i can say that some bug would be on clean system too. Better solution, is have some subchecks, or know what could be not on system XY. There should be some logging etc.. that i have this black box attitude, such reinstall it, maybe it help.

I hard to believe that for i example have same or similar behavior on all 3 my systems with different HW and even with clean install, for example CONFIGMG boot windows protection problem, there are people with same bugs on internet, for Rloew is never seen bug.. 

I also hate these optimal patches, its too blackbox  - manual says that on some machine, it could happen - would be nice to know, what is different on these machines and had installator checker for this eventuallity.  or CD read problem, im installing now from USB stick, so no cd reading problem, image used image is tested.

More technical:
1) Did you tested that Himem.exe 3.32 512 MB RAM fixer with Nvidia 512MB GPU and patches? 
2) How do you work with NTFS and big partitions in Win9x?
3) How typical are my microfreezes? I had them on 2 new HW machine, i had them on Unraid machine, i until i installed USP3, on others machines UPS3 didnt helped..

Ok im going to reinstall it once more... 

3) One clarification to patching Nvidia drivers, is enough to patch them once, or they need to be repatched for everytime before installation on specific machine and windows installation?

Edited by ruthan

Did you run the PATCHOPT Program?

NVCHECK should have printed two reports. One for each Card.

I thought I had fixed it, but Step #8 instructions should have specified the /M Option for PATCHMEM.

I won't know what logs to ask for until you tell me what errors you got and on what step.

I never looked to see what errors people posted on the Internet. They obviously weren't using my Patches.
I haven't seen that error, nor have any of my Customers, who have my Patches installed.

As far as Option Patches are concerned, I do not know exactly what conditions trigger the need for them, so trying to anticipate them is not feasible.
Also people add things that might make an Option necessary long after the original Installation.
Your approach might work for Computers that are tightly controlled by the manufacturer and have very few options.

1. I already said I used HIMEM with the nVidia Patches. I used HIMEM.SYS 3.95 which comes with Windows 98SE. 3.32 is obsolete.

2. I don't use NTFS with Win9x. I already have Patches to support 2TiB Partitions.

3. I haven't seen 15 Second Periodic microfreezes in any System.

BootLog from new clean X99 machine, crash is NVcore.vxd, is there way to check if file is really properly patched, even i start patcher, i didnt get any message, only file is created and has same size.. Card bios is patched, driver checker is needed.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2741044/Win98-onX99/X99-BOOTLOG.TXT

Edited by ruthan

I haven't used the nVidia Patches in a while. The instructions were incomplete. You didn't mention the bad syntax messages that these two program would have printed.
The user's Manual has the correct instructions.

Go to your WINDOWS\SYSTEM Folder.

Rename NVCORE.VXD to NVCORE.BAK

run:

PATCHNVC NVCORE.BAK NVCORE.VXD

Rename PCI.VXD to PCI.BAK

run:

PATCHOPT PCI.BAK PCI.VXD

reboot

I have corrected the Instructions in my original post.

Edited by rloew

I haven't used the nVidia Patches in a while. The instructions were incomplete. You didn't mention the bad syntax messages that these two program would have printed.
The user's Manual has the correct instructions.

Go to your WINDOWS\SYSTEM Folder.

Rename NVCORE.VXD to NVCORE.BAK

run:

PATCHNVC NVCORE.BAK NVCORE.VXD

Go to your WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS Folder.

Rename PCI.SYS to PCI.BAK

run:

PATCHOPT PCI.BAK PCI.SYS

reboot

I have corrected the Instructions in my original post.

I did that by the book, but im still a bit suspicious, because these commands not give me any success /error message.. and filesize is same to byte, now that there is modified date, but you know, something it should be double checked, NVSIZE checker is size, i would be for similar thing for nvcore.vxd

Here is file which suppose to be patched:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2741044/Win98-onX99/SYSTEM-NVcore.zip

If X99 is not supported, its ok, but i tested it anyway, i had HW ready for testing.

Edited by ruthan

NVCHECK should have printed two reports. One for each Card.

I got only one.

Did you run the PATCHOPT Program?

In original manual, this step was optimal, im not sure, i need to check, i installed to many patches in these days.  UPDATE: Sorry i have reinstall it, problem with memory card, i was to quick with its removal, when i was transferring data and FS was broken as it is memory card and only FAT32 recovery didnt worked.

1. I already said I used HIMEM with the nVidia Patches. I used HIMEM.SYS 3.95 which comes with Windows 98SE. 3.32 is obsolete.

There is difference himem.exe and himem.sys, im using Win98 integrated himem.sys or himem.exe 3.32 when im not  not using you ram patch, so recently i have used it everywhere.

I won't know what logs to ask for until you tell me what errors you got and on what step.

With Ram patch is hard to say which step when, machine is unstable as hell, im getting even rundll32 errors right after boot, something is not even booted, something i have to one, minutes use machine to get errors, but i from the start, i can see graphic glitches like that broken cotrol panel icon..

Edited by ruthan

I have tested new (non by your tutorial, i will do it) later AMD970 installation, with modified PCI.VXD i Nvidia drivers startet to work, but right after boot im getting those rund32.dll errors in NVCPL.dll, Explorer, Error, Systray error, right click always getting error (ilegal operations and ASM registry values) etc... 

But no microfreezes in the games - that was that i wanted to test.

I used Himem.sys (original) Numhandles=80 machine:1, Sata patch installed and running ok.

Problem could be connected with some data corruption, because i multipletimes tried to run Scandisk and im getting that scandisk was 10 times restart, but no visible file operation is running..

HW minimal setup no second GPU, no NIC, only one 1 Geforce 7950GT

As i said there have to be some bug..

Edited by ruthan

Clean instalattion by your tutorial, i have got 3 strange errors (2x rundll during desktop  and suer details setups) and i thin 1 more reboot and 2x scandisk in middle of installation.

Once registry recovery.  

All these after step 9.

I previously used 1 partition HDD.. but i run out of HDDs, this one have 1 Win98 partition which ran well in the pass, 1 ntsfs and 1EXT4 partion,  1 fat 32 partion for data - last 80 GB, its 160 GB HDD, in other try with this MB i used 40 GB hdd only 1 FAT32 partions, but behavior is was same.. I dont believe that problem is storage.. problem is RAM patch probably. Its partitioned in Paragon HDD Suite 12+ . Win98 is first partition 15 GB at the start of disk.
   I have tried 4 storage device, on 2 of were other partitions and other OSes which runs totally fine, but on 3 of 4 even i tried (1 i dint tried) your ram patch these strange errors emerged.. 

Edited by ruthan

Without a Driver Patch, accesses above 137GB from the beginning of the Disk Drive can cause corruption of data below the threshold.
The FAT32 Data Partition extends above the 137GB limit. Disk corruption can cause all kinds of unpredictable errors.

Your attempt with the 40GB Hard Drive was before you used PATCHOPT so you cannot compare results.

Of all the Patches you purchased, the RAM Patch is the most thoroughly tested Patch and is my best seller. No one has reported RUNDLL errors or Registry reversions with any of my Patches.

Both the Windows Installer and the nVidia Installer can cause RUNDLL errors randomly. Generally repeating the Installation solves the problem.

Since your AMD970 cannot run Windows 9x without my Patches, you can't claim that my Patches are the cause.
You would have to run the same system with and without my Patches to prove a bug.

I have two AMD970 systems. The M5A97 and MSI SLI Krait. Both work with my Patches.

PATCHOPT is not an optimization Program. It is a Patch that is necessary in some Systems but not in others. I do not know how to test for the cause of the problem. so my Instructions tell you to use it if your System still does not Boot after using PATCHNVC. Since it affects MMIO Configuration it is probably related to the CONFIGMG Errors you were seeing.

Edited by rloew

I started to use you ram patch only because of boot problem with Gb Intel NIC, if you wish i can replicate same installation with Himem.exe and io.sys patcher to fix > 512 MB memory problems, im quite sure that it would work. 

Im at least getting better and in Sata and Nvidia patch instalation..
  If is not PCI patch optimal, name it patchOPT is not good idea. In 40 GB i installed patchopt its same.. I dont installed patchopt maybe on X99 system, im not sure, i will reinstall it tommorrow, if will have a time.

I can say that before ram and nvidia patch, i had stable system with VGA PCI Adapter and 100 Mbit Intel network, with installed ram patch i have everytime on lots of errors during basic work, its not classical Win98 lack of stability, system almost cant be used..

I both this HW only because i believe that our patches will work, ok i can live without 1 Gb NIC and i can go to buy 256 MB GPU.. Its same with my conroe system, i believed in your sata patch, so i have bought SATA SSD.. 

Edited by ruthan

I dont know exactly why maybe because of NIC is not here, or second GPU is removed but i have now 2989 MB of Mem, so i hit 2.75 GB area, but on 40GB, im already limiting ram to 1024 in system.ini and behavior of machine is the same..

Good news is that except these rundll32 errors, nvidia and sata patch are installed fine, i didnt tested, because install something with half working explorer is problem, but i thing that game freezes would be not here too.. Im test it tommorrow.

I dont need and want to do experiments with Ram patch on Conroe machine, because its its bit slow for every iteration but i have second Z97 and X99 machine and would test ram patch there.

Edited by ruthan

Maybe would be easier finaly fix my  Conroe sata controller problem and i will have at least 1 Win98 ready (except microfreezing, but i will debug.. or reinstall it)

Actually i have controler in Sata mode, AHCIBIOS in autoexec, controllers are in safe mode recognized as Ata106.. When i booting into normal mode, is hang on ESDI506 (bootlog), it have tried patched and unpatched version (by PTCHSATA), its same..
   I dont know that to do next, i checked manual, i dont get what DISKBIOS is doing, i have only AHCIBIOS.

Uninstall my RAM Patch, disable the NIC Driver and try your Safe Mode Patch (it is not an IO.SYS Patch). See if it makes a difference.
Reinstall my RAM Patch, and nothing else, and see if the problems return.

I called the other Patch PATCHOPT because it Patches a problem with Video Card "Option ROMS". That name is part of the PCI standard.

I have seen a problem with SSD Drives having timing problems on my MA785 Computer. This is a hardware issue, You didn't mention any Disk Error messages.

Removing the second GPU is what gave you back all of that 32-Bit RAM. The NIC uses relatively little MMIO space and is still present even if disabled in Software.

If your Disk Controller is not in AHCI Mode, you MUST have SATA.INF Installed. If you had, you would have seen both SATA and ATA0106 Drivers in Safe Mode.
You can't tell what is being recognized in Safe Mode. It tells you what Drivers are installed, not what is recognized.
Only in Normal Mode do you see what is recognized. You will have to Install SATA.INF, run  PURGEHDC P A  and reboot to redetect.
Later you can switch to AHCI Mode and reboot will redetect the ATA0106 Driver.

DISKBIOS does the same thing as AHCIBIOS but is always active, even if no AHCI Mode Drivers are detected. It is intended as a BIOS replacement in DOS and can improve performance.
It is part of the same Package.