Win98SE debug,normal boot freezing + Rloew patches (RAM/SATA/NVSIZE/AHCI) installation debugging, NVU 82 drivers

ruthan

Hello,
i just need to resurrect my old physical HW installation of WIn98 SE, my board died, i used some board with VIA Core 2 chipset, now i have back my Intel 865 chipset.

In safe mode is now booting fine, all devices are recognized no exlamation mark, but when i reboot i got freeze, during boot after keyb message.. When i remove
all system devices i can boot into normal Windows 98 mod.
   I have i additional problem, when i start New hardware wizard, i got some INF file is broken message and new HW is not recognized, even HW tree is empty.

How to fix it? What i can try?

Edited by ruthan

Safe Mode displays all Devices, recognized or not. They are not loaded so you don't get excamation points.

In Normal Mode, go to "Add Hardware" in the Control Panel and manually Install the PCI Bus Driver.

Are you saying you moved the hard drive over to the new board and then just let it detect hardware? I personally am not a fan of doing that at all. I always like to start with a fresh install of Windows when going to a different computer or motherboard. Also, are you sure that the new board doesn't need the SATA patch? What you described happened to me on my newer computer build. Safe Mode booted just fine but trying to boot into normal mode would just make it freeze on a black screen until I removed the hard disk controllers from Safe Mode, then the next reboot into normal mode would work just fine until Windows reinstalled everything again on its own. The SATA patch, regardless if you use IDE or SATA is very useful in solving a lot of those issues.

Anyway, a little more details about what you're doing and your configuration would definitely help us out if you're able to provide them!

Hmm, did few rounds, im able to make normal mode boot, when i reinstall Intel 865 chipset drivers, or when i messing with Sata patch, but second reboot ends always in situation when cursor is blinking on black or boot screen freeze no ESC(during loading).

Configuration is Intel 865 chipset + Core 2 Duo - Asrock Conroe865 + Geforce 6600 GT, 1 SSD - on primary Sata port + DVD drive on Sata controller - from SIL.
BIOS - disc controller setttings - is Compatible Sata + IDE.

I remember that in the pass i was experimenting with unofficial Nvidia 82 driver and officially not supported G7600 AGP and with PCI-E GPUs on 4core MB,
know i have Unofficial driver in list of instlalled programs, but uninstallation is not working, so maybe some pieces of this driver are used instead proper official
files.

I not fan of fresh install, because of usually more wasted time and resurent old installation, where is are things adjusted to my needs and im quite poweruser.

I really dont know if is problem in disc controller settings, or with GPU or with some software settings, some log would really help.. I really dont have good 
memory its few years, when i won this battle but, because of hardware failure i have to fight it again.. I already working on me AM3 Win98 machine, but i want to keep this on as backup
+ also made some Unraid - KVM - machine with Geforce 7950GT passthrough - its working and it has some flaws too (but it seems that is much less problematic that physical HW -
i dream about X99 machine with physical WinXP, Win7,Win10 + Geforce 970 (Win7/Linux/MacOS) + Geforce 750Ti(XP) + unraid in multiboot with Windows 98 with Geforce 7950GT
and XP with G750TI passthrough).

its in process.

Edited by ruthan

Update: I have removed GPU drivers - so i have Standard VGA compatible, its still freezing, is SATA related or other HW related. I have tried to reinstall all Rloew Sata patch and all Bios Sata settings, but its still the same.

One more infa after few minutes of nothing is computer autorestarted - maybe it helps.

Did you purchase RLoew's SATA patch? There are patches out there that are free that claim to make certain things work but I never have luck with them. If you purchased his though, he'll chime in and get you figured out.

I think I had a slight problem with Asrock and Windows 98 myself. But my Gigabyte board required the SATA patch, even with IDE mode enabled, it didn't make a difference. Here's my thread on my Asrock board that you might find useful:

My Gigabyte thread:

Start by reading these, it might help you out. :)

Yes i purchased R-Loew patch years ago - 1 have 2009 version of it, but..

I did lots very ugly things with my installation - recovered old System/System32 a SystemBck folders and also system ini a got some start missing files error, so i deleted some entries from registry and finally a have managed 
Windows 98 booting repeatly to normal state and have installed one device, after other, until almost all was working, so i know that GPU, Audio, Net, Chipset are ok.. start freeze came with additional Sil3512A controller driver installation. 
   Its controller im using for my Sata DVD writer, because i really hate IDE cables and as far i remeber Rloew said something about that only 1 of 2 Sata ports is supported and DVD driver is not supported by patch.. But in the pass it worked somehow, how not today i have tried all Bios combination, R-Loew patch etc, but i got only freezes, when DVD driver was connnected to Sata controller on board or on additional card.

Was is strange normal Windows mode booting with my MB from Sata port of box in both IDE/Sata controller modes - Compatible and Enhanced..

The SATA Patch was updated in 2011. Only the INF was from 2009. Only a few people ever got the 2009 Version.

Try logging your Boot and finding the last Driver loaded in BOOTLOG.TXT.

The only Optical Drive issue I know of is that Microsoft does not allow an Optical Drive to be a Primary Master on a Legacy Controller.

If your DVD Drive is connected to the SIL3512 Card, you either need their Driver or the ATA0180.INF File that is a free Option on my SATA Patch.

The SATA Patch was updated in 2011. Only the INF was from 2009. Only a few people ever got the 2009 Version.

You are right i have found new version of patch elsewhere on HDD - from 2015, i remember that we communicated, i have found some purge controller script.

The only Optical Drive issue I know of is that Microsoft does not allow an Optical Drive to be a Primary Master on a Legacy Controller.

I dont need to have Optical drive on primary controller - i think that sata is ignoring this PATA - master / slave logic, i just i have 
2 Sata ports and i need use them both - one for SSD and one for Sata DVD writer. But i dont have ATA018 a have i thing versin ATA104 or
something like that. 
   Could you resend me pleas new version of Sata patch?

I dont care about SIL3512 if would DVD writer work on oboard sata port - i would gladly remove this controller about of PC, i have
their driver but i combination with my present config - it causing freezes during boot - so for now i dont install drivers for it and im fine.

-----------
  Now i have stupid problems with adress conficts between motherboards resources (DMA controller) and Network or Sound card,
this HW configuration worked fine, i redetected HW maybe 5 times, without this confict.. But now is conflicted, i neven know how to
effectively solve this stupid problem or i forgot it. Could you help me pleas?

Hmm, i spend today lots of times with Window 98SE  drivers hell.

I wasnt able to make Intel 1000 GT Desktop adapter working (device start problem) and Soundcard (AC97) problem - in device manager is card ok, but no playback device, in directX error 88780078, even usb sound card is installed but cant be used. I even updated Bios of NIC and Sata controller - no change.

At the end of day i said for myself, hey i could be worse so i starting messing with new version of Sata patch, i did lots of thing but still not DVD rom even on Sil controller, result is only that i have lots of controllers which i cant remove.

I dont know why but after still messing or because i have completely disabled IDE controller in BIOS - now i have IDE controller in Enhanced mode and IDE.. 2 Sata devices in Autodetect settings, but is strange network card now magically working - i didnt do any HW change and there wasnt any resource conflict..  How is juct in the Safe mode i can see my Samsung DVD device all the time, when i remove it, is redetected. I also using Magic Iso virtual drive, i even tried to uninstall it.  In other OSes all HW works fine.

I love games but i really hate this system, is better that Messing with AmigaOS, but its still hell, i would be glad for any help.

LotsOfControllers.png

Edited by ruthan

I see five sets of Disk Controllers listed. This can cause problems. I recommend that you remove all of the Controllers that you can from Safe Mode, and then let Windows redetect them.

Also I noticed that two sets (ATA0104) are set to RAID Mode.
If you did this as a workaround for the VIA Problem, run the PATCHPCI Program and then switch the Controllers to IDE.

I see five sets of Disk Controllers listed. This can cause problems. I recommend that you remove all of the Controllers that you can from Safe Mode, and then let Windows redetect them.

Also I noticed that two sets (ATA0104) are set to RAID Mode.
If you did this as a workaround for the VIA Problem, run the PATCHPCI Program and then switch the Controllers to IDE.

Is there any guide update how to install your patch? Would be nice if guide would be on Rloews web.

I have 5 controllers, but i cant remove them, even in Safe mode is not controller remove option available. 
ATA0104 - is have tried it, because nothing worked, is ATA0104 still actual, or i should use only ATA0108? I have not now any VIA controler, in had it in the past on this machine, now i have only intel 865.

On second new machine (AMD 970), i have tried to install patch - 104, but im not able to make W98 boot when is disk are connected to controller in Sata mode even in safe mode, i always get Windows protection error.
I wonder how many controller devices i should have in device manager, because after patch application in have on PCI IDE controller devices and Primary + Secondary controller devices - with exclamation
mark (im booting in IDE mode, because otherwise im not able to boot at all).

Would be nice, if in bios would be option to disable controller for Sata port 1-4 or 5-6, but it isnt. So i dont know which controller is Device manager is related to which disk device.

I also tried to experiment with other Rloew patch, Terabyte patch, i dont know if 2 TB drive is supported, when is run 48bitlba - i got drive in the list and supported, but i dont see any NTFS partition, when i install Paragon free NTFS for Win98.

SataController2.png

ParagonNTFSProblem.png

Edited by ruthan

The basic instructions come with the SATA Patch. I provide instructions for the more complicated installations on an individual basis.

ATA0104.INF is for Controllers in RAID Mode. This is mainly for VIA Controllers.
ATA0106.INF is for Controllers in AHCI Mode. This is used with the AHCIBIOS Product.
ATA0180.INF is for Mass Storage Controllers. This is for PCI/PCI-E Controllers.

The Primary and Secondary Controllers cannot be removed even in Safe Mode. The Dual Controllers can be removed in Safe Mode.

I cannot read Czech so I don't know what the Error Message says. It looks like it is not Enabled. Try Enabling it.
You may have to search your Registry for an Entry called "NoIDE" and remove it if you can't enable the Driver.

You don't have either of my TeraByte Patches. Which one are you referring to?

I don't think you can load an NTFS Driver if the Drive is in compatibility Mode.

The basic instructions come with the SATA Patch. I provide instructions for the more complicated installations on an individual basis.

ATA0104.INF is for Controllers in RAID Mode. This is mainly for VIA Controllers.
ATA0106.INF is for Controllers in AHCI Mode. This is used with the AHCIBIOS Product.
ATA0180.INF is for Mass Storage Controllers. This is for PCI/PCI-E Controllers.

Im a bit disappointed, then now i see, that there 3 different Sata patches, i though that there is 1 universal and i dont even have one which most important - 106 for Sata in AHCI mode, pleas send me it.

BTW i just tested performance of file transfers, without Sata patches and around 1 MB/s, so patch is really needed, i got have any free Sata I or II device to test, if is this error is only related to Sata III hdd.

The Primary and Secondary Controllers cannot be removed even in Safe Mode. The Dual Controllers can be removed in Safe Mode.

I cannot read Czech so I don't know what the Error Message says. It looks like it is not Enabled. Try Enabling it.
You may have to search your Registry for an Entry called "NoIDE" and remove it if you can't enable the Driver.

Yeah czech is PITA, but i far as i know there is not any language pack, its my old installation with lots of tweaks i dont want to reinstall it.
   I hope that error codes are same for language version of Win 98.
  This error message says:  
  Device isnt presented or dont work properly or dont have installed all drivers  // its pretty general error..

Ok is not removable in Safe and Normal mode, so patch should be supplied with some removal utility. I dont know i it matters, but devices which could be removed also missing some descriptions.

You don't have either of my TeraByte Patches. Which one are you referring to?

I don't think you can load an NTFS Driver if the Drive is in compatibility Mode.

Your terabyte patch is installed, for error from Paragon NTFS look at image bellow.

NonRemovableControllerDevice-2.png

ParagonNTFSProblem.png

There is only one SATA Patch. The SATA.INF File that comes with it handles Native and Legacy IDE Mode.
The other INFs are for special purposes and are experimental so I provide them after consultation.

The ATA0106.INF for AHCI, only makes it recognize an AHCI Controller. It does not add support for AHCI.

There are three possible AHCI Mode scenarios:

AHCI only. This requires an AHCI Driver which I have not written so far.
AHCI on. This requires a separate Program such as AHCIBIOS to turn off the AHCI Mode before starting Windows.
AHCI off. This is the only scenario where ATA0106.INF would work with my SATA Patch without other programs or Drivers. So far, only one cheap Laptop actually worked this way.

Unless you have scenario #3, there is no point sending you the file.

The SATA Patch was intended to be installed before connecting SATA Drives. The default Microsoft Driver will claim them and cause problems. If certain errors occur, the system will permanently lock out the Drivers.
This is why I said to remove the "NOIDE" Entry from the Registry. At a minimum you need to remove all Drivers that can be removed using Safe Mode and have everything redetected.

I have two TeraByte Patches. The 1TB Partition Patch and the TeraByte Plus Package. You did not purchase either one.
What "TeraByte" Patch do you have and where did you get it?

Paragon is complaining about the MBR on the Hard Drive. It wants to know if you want LBA or CHS Support for the Partition.

There is also a problem in the standard DOS/9x MBR. It Boots a Type 7 (NTFS/ExFAT/Etc...) Partition as CHS. I fixed this in my RFDISK MBR.