XP compatible USB wireless adapter

Roffen

I got a link to where we could get XP compatible USB adapters, and I ordered two of them. But something went wrong in tranaitt and they newer arrived here. So I'll have to order again. It is a pain to use a laptop and I can't use the stationary because it is not wireless for the  time being. I dont't have acces to cable connecction here.

Hope I can get some adapters and get properly back on the air again.

I guess you are talking about one of these USB type adapters ... years back someone gave me an older USB adapter ... it didn't look like these pictured at all ... just looked like an USB Flash Drive ... no antenna. I really didn't care much for it and gave it to someone else. My computer back then only had one USB slot and I used that for my mouse.

https://www.amazon.com/usb-wi-fi/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ausb wi fi

My 'newer' ThinkPads have two USB slots but I have PCMCIA slots which I use for a Netgear wi-fi card.

I know there are Amazon websites scattered around Europe.

13 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

But only for XP SP2 or SP3, maybe? :whistle:

jaclaz

Sp2 onwards it works.  It is life saving company for me. Without them I have died of connecting my skylake pc to Internet though now I have ethernet driver.

21 minutes ago, Dibya said:

Sp2 onwards it works.  It is life saving company for me. Without them I have died of connecting my skylake pc to Internet though now I have ethernet driver.

Well anecdotally I have a Linksys one WUSB54GC that I use for the rare cases I need to connect wirelessly that seems just fine on XP (SP2), of course I miss the multi-year testing and benchmarking experience on all wireless adapters on the market that allows you to state apodictically that "Net gear is best for xp .".

Or maybe, just maybe, you wanted to state something more like "I happen to have a NetGear one, and it works fine with XP on my machine". :whistle:

jaclaz

4 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

Well anecdotally I have a Linksys one WUSB54GC that I use for the rare cases I need to connect wirelessly that seems just fine on XP (SP2), of course I miss the multi-year testing and benchmarking experience on all wireless adapters on the market that allows you to state apodictically that "Net gear is best for xp .".

Or maybe, just maybe, you wanted to state something more like "I happen to have a NetGear one, and it works fine with XP on my machine". :whistle:

jaclaz

Latest adapters are no more supported on xp. Net gear is exceptional one that support xp.

29 minutes ago, Dibya said:

Latest adapters are no more supported on xp. Net gear is exceptional one that support xp.

Ah well, then - maybe - NetGear is "only" and not necessarily "best" - within "latest" - that provides XP drivers.

We are slowly moving from "apodictic on NetGear" to "apodictic on all the rest of the world", still within the realms of "vague and gratuitous".

jaclaz

• 1 year later...

Rather than continually fighting with wifi on XP (as I had been for the past few years), I decided to switch and use a nano router set in client bridge mode (which connects to the ethernet card) instead and am very happy with this set up as it avoids the need to upgrade my wifi pci card any more.

Have two of these one for my desktop and one for my laptop which both dual boot with XP (& Win7). Also getting full speeds on my fibre connection (40/10) especially so as the laptop is a bit old and only has a 'g' wireless card.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Support-Extender-UK-TL-WR902AC/dp/B01NAYG15H/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1548923098&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=tp+link+wr902ac&psc=1

Good Luck

Edited by risk_reversal