Are there i845 chipset drivers for NT4?

Nomen

An inductor on an old Epoc BX440 motherboard had the bad taste to fry itself today, possibly because of two nearby capacitors that might have failed.

I cloned the 80 gb drive (running NT4) and tried to get it running on any spare working board I can find.  I have some old 661V31 boards, but can't get a bios on them that recognizes a drive that large.

So I put the drive on a Soyo 845GV/PE board, and NT booted up but in VGA mode.  I found an NT4 driver for the integrated Extreme-2 graphics adapter, but that's all I can find.  When NT was running on the Epoc board, it had a D-link 530 giga-bit network pci card, so I threw that on the Soyo (disabled the Soyo on-board lan) and tried re-installing the D-link driver (have-disk method) but it can't find the card.

I find scant evidence that there are / were NT4 drivers for some 845-based motherboards, but can't locate any corresponding driver files.

I did find an Intel Application Accelerator that claimed to be for 845 and NT, and ran the file but got no real confirmation or indication that it did anything after it finished doing stuff and wanted to re-boot.

Anyone know if there are 845 chipset drivers for NT4?  Sitting on some obscure server out there, somewhere?

Or is there a way to hack the win-2k INF files?

I must need something for NT to see the PCI bus - no?  Like I said, NT was using a D-link PCI ethernet card on the BX440 motherboard, and I moved that card to the i845 board and NT did not see the card, even when I try to "add" the card again it says there is no such card on the system.

How does NT show me what hardware it has loaded drivers for?  It seems quite primitive compared to all other windows versions.

52 minutes ago, Nomen said:

It seems quite primitive compared to all other windows versions.

Not so surprising, since it pre-dates most of them by years. We are talking 1993/1994 here.

57 minutes ago, Nomen said:

How does NT show me what hardware it has loaded drivers for? 

Use this Nirsoft little tool, adding psapi.dll should work on NT just fine:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

jaclaz

3 hours ago, Nomen said:

I must need something for NT to see the PCI bus - no?  Like I said, NT was using a D-link PCI ethernet card on the BX440 motherboard, and I moved that card to the i845 board and NT did not see the card, even when I try to "add" the card again it says there is no such card on the system.

How does NT show me what hardware it has loaded drivers for?  It seems quite primitive compared to all other windows versions.

maybe you just add the driver in incorrect way.

for adding network driver, goto Control Panel -> Network -> Interface Card tab -> Add -> Have Disk

Yea, I was trying that a few times yesterday, but each time it said no adapter found.  But today for some reason it found it, so I had the same adapter listed twice, as (1) and (2).  There isin't much in the properties for them, but the one difference was that one of them said "Slot 0/3" and the other said "Slot 1/8" or something like that.  I had the card plugged into the fourth PCI slot (counting from the AGP slot) same as it was in the original motherboard, but I guess the numbering ended up different - I'm assuming that slot means PCI socket number.  After a while I removed the first adapter entry.

In win-98, if you have no hard-drive controller driver, then it will use DOS "compatibility" mode to access the drive, which is a lot slower.  Does NT4 do the same?  How do I know if NT4 is using a "32-bit" driver to access the IDE drive in the most optimal way that the hardware is capable of?  Seems that the drive controller is showing up as a "SCSI" device if I'm seeing this correctly.  (remember, I did run the IAA file and I think it did install)

Also - I take it that I am now able to clone this NT4 install (currently on an 80 gb drive) to larger IDE drive if I so desire - or am I limited (is NT4-SP6 limited) to 137 gb total drive size?

Beyond having working video and network adapter, and NT seeing all the 2 gb ram in this system (it had 1 gb in the previous system that died) I'm satisfied that this system can continue to do it's server job on this motherboard.  Certainly way more horsepower now vs before (P3-800 mhz vs P4-2.5 ghz).   I don't need USB or sound, but I am curious if USB could work in this new setup.

Also - how to I get Explorer detailed folder-view to be the default?  Doesn't seem to be anywhere to set that.  Is there a registry entry for this?

Edited by Nomen

1 hour ago, Nomen said:

Yea, I was trying that a few times yesterday, but each time it said no adapter found.  But today for some reason it found it, so I had the same adapter listed twice, as (1) and (2).  There isin't much in the properties for them, but the one difference was that one of them said "Slot 0/3" and the other said "Slot 1/8" or something like that.  I had the card plugged into the fourth PCI slot (counting from the AGP slot) same as it was in the original motherboard, but I guess the numbering ended up different - I'm assuming that slot means PCI socket number.  After a while I removed the first adapter entry.

In win-98, if you have no hard-drive controller driver, then it will use DOS "compatibility" mode to access the drive, which is a lot slower.  Does NT4 do the same?  How do I know if NT4 is using a "32-bit" driver to access the IDE drive in the most optimal way that the hardware is capable of?  Seems that the drive controller is showing up as a "SCSI" device if I'm seeing this correctly.  (remember, I did run the IAA file and I think it did install)

Also - I take it that I am now able to clone this NT4 install (currently on an 80 gb drive) to larger IDE drive if I so desire - or am I limited (is NT4-SP6 limited) to 137 gb total drive size?

Beyond having working video and network adapter, and NT seeing all the 2 gb ram in this system (it had 1 gb in the previous system that died) I'm satisfied that this system can continue to do it's server job on this motherboard.  Certainly way more horsepower now vs before (P3-800 mhz vs P4-2.5 ghz).   I don't need USB or sound, but I am curious if USB could work in this new setup.

Also - how to I get Explorer detailed folder-view to be the default?  Doesn't seem to be anywhere to set that.  Is there a registry entry for this?

If you're using IDE/ATAPI driver, and yes there is 137GB limit.

Using IAA or UNIATA should bring you up to 2TB size.

for USB, 3rd party driver is needed. Check this out: http://bearwindows.zcm.com.au/winnt4.htm

Once upon a time you set the explorer view as you liked it, then closed the windows clicking on the right top cross icon while holding the CTRL key and the view setting was saved.

But I am not sure it applies to NT 4.00 :unsure:

Is that what you are asking?

jaclaz