DOS and 9X/ME on Z77 Test

98SE

Installing DOS and 9X/ME on Z77 for legacy testing.  I will be documenting compatibility of DOS and 98SE programs on Intel Z77 Chipset.

Edited by 98SE

• 2 weeks later...

On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 10:58 PM, 98SE said:

Installing DOS and 9X/ME on Z77 for legacy testing.  I will be documenting compatibility of DOS and 98SE programs on Intel Z77 Chipset.

Original Ramdisk Franck Uberto Ramdisk v1.9i - 8-12-1998 - XMSDSK.EXE and EMSDSK.EXE

working in 98SE DOS boot disk.

Fresh install of Windows 98 Second Edition completed to desktop completed all features selected.

Edited by 98SE

• 1 month later...

98SE works with over 512MB installed without modifying Windows system files or memory patching.

Tried using a Blu-ray SATA drive can copy files but strange behavior when a disc is left in tray when loading into Windows.

PS/2 Keyboard Port - working PS/2 Keyboard

USB Keyboard works on USB 2 rear ports no drivers.

USB Mouse control failure on USB 2 rear ports no drivers.

VIA USB 2 card functional drivers - USB mouse working, USB keyboard working, USB storage not working

NEC USB 2 card functional drivers - USB mouse working, USB keyboard working, USB storage not working

USB mouse can't operate on USB 3 ports.

USB keyboard can't operate on USB 3 ports.

Ensoniq PCI Sound card tested audio works for regular sound effects.

There was a MIDI wavetable issue now I have patched it for 2MB, 4MB, and 8MB options.

Canyon.Mid and Passport.Mid worked.

Testing of 98SE DOS Prompt running DOS Games, DOS BOX Sound Blaster Emulation, and MAME testing next.

Result:

Dos Prompt running DOS Game works

DOS BOX works

MAME works

Issues:

Ensoniq PCI card sometimes flakes out need to test other modern sound cards.

Edited by 98SE

When cards produces instability on AM3+ - like when NVidia-driver is installed, but also with SB Audigy - i found RLoews Interrupt-Fix to be the solution. If the situation is comparable (and only IF), maybe this is worth trying on Z77/Z68/P67 as well?

Creative Labs uses IRQ5 for the newer sounds cards.

The SB Live is working it's the Ensoniq that couldn't handle multiple audio streams at once.  I ran 6 simultaneous files with continuous playback while using Mame and DOSBOX.

Both cards used IRQ5 so that isn't the problem or the SB Live would have had the same issues.  Last few days it seems stable.  SB Live definitely is a better choice.  I had spent a whole day on the Ensoniq and I think that's enough.  I'm still testing with DX 6.1a which I believe was the original version that came with 98SE.  I am planning on testing 7.0, 8.0, 9.0 later to see if that changes anything but SB LIVE drivers might be more stable and has support for XP+.

Tested nVidia GeForce 7600 GS PCIe 256MB

82.69 modified - installed but failed to black screen on desktop.

Will test McKracken drivers next.

"http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/97786-geforce-67-and-8-agppci-e-driver-edition-for-win98me-by-zak/"

Edited by 98SE

My Interrupt Fix only solves problems where the Mouse freezes, jerking once every 15 seconds, along with shutdown of other devices sharing the Video. not Mouse, interrupt, such as disk drives.

The 7600GS might need the PCI Patch in my NVSIZE Package.

Nothing new in the McKracken package. Try reading the entire thread.