WinTV-HVR-1600 Windows 98 SE Driver Needed

win98geek

Hey Guys, I would like to use the WinTV-HVR-1800 PCI TV Tuner (ATSC/QAM/NTSC) with my Windows 98 SE PC and I can't find a driver for it that can work.

I found one that my Win98 can read however, I can't install the hcw18prop.ax file.

When I opened details to get more info it said: "No more files (error #12)"

Does anyone know of a way to get drivers for it that will work under Windows 98 SE?

Thanks,

win98geek

I found a driver that said for Windows 98 and for my TV Tuner.

It was at CNET: http://download.cnet.com/hauppauge_cd_3-4d1-zip/3000-2108_4-163476.html

It read the hardware and the driver, but the driver had an error on the file hcw18prop.ax.

I opened the details on the error. The file is what is causing the error. The file is there but, not accepting it.

I didn't test that driver, but I might as well do it, just to get it working.

But is the issue a corrupted file/download or is it just the installer not working?

It would be not the first time that a third party site lists Win 9x/Me compatibility for things that are only XP and later. :unsure:

Try using this other source for the download (and check the fies are the same/match):

http://static.softoware.net/data/programs/resources/hauppauge_cd_3.4d1.zip

jaclaz

I did the INF install and that's what I prefer to do and got the error.

I tried the first download you've sent me and it requires a later version of Windows.

I will now try the download you just sent me and see if that works.

Okay, I tried the driver right before my last post and it didn't read the INF file.

I tried using the driver I found and use the hcw18prop.ax file from the driver you found with it and it's the same as before: Reads INF File, hcw18prop.ax file not reading.

This device is too new for 98SE.

Best bet is to find an older TV Tuner that has 98SE drivers available, there are a couple of them from Hauppauge.

Edited by MrMateczko

Sorry, I said WinTV-HVR-1800, it's actually the WinTV-HVR-1600 TV Tuner Windows 98 Driver, that I am looking for.

I took a picture of the card to help us look for the correct drivers.

It looks like it's a PCI card, not a PCI-E card.

Sorry, that's it's blurry, I don't think I have a good camera on my Tablet.

IMG_20170621_062338.jpg

Edited by win98geek
Added details about the photo

• win98geek changed the title to WinTV-HVR-1600 Windows 98 SE Driver Needed
18 hours ago, MrMateczko said:

Your TV Tuner is a PCI-E x1 card.

No drivers are available for 98SE for any PCI-E x1 device. (unless someone proves me wrong)

PCI-E x1 devices are simply too new for 98SE.

And therefore, this device is too new for 98SE.

Best bet is to find an older TV Tuner that has 98SE drivers available, there are a couple of them from Hauppauge.

I have PCIe-cards with *native* drivers for Gigabit-LAN (at least two), and VGA (many, i.e. GeForce GTX 7900).

Are you sure you really mean PCIe 1x?

On 6/21/2017 at 6:56 AM, win98geek said:

The Hardware ID of the devices (if there are more than one that appear) would be a lot better. If the drivers are not installed, they may appear as a problem device in MSinfo32.exe.

On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 2:56 AM, win98geek said:

Sorry, I said WinTV-HVR-1800, it's actually the WinTV-HVR-1600 TV Tuner Windows 98 Driver, that I am looking for.

It looks like it's a PCI card, not a PCI-E card.

Sorry, that's it's blurry, I don't think I have a good camera on my Tablet.

IMG_20170621_062338.jpg

That is the PCI model.  I have the same one in one of my systems.  Single tuner.  If your computer only has PCI slots I would consider using XP for this one.  It's pretty reliable but look for the WinTV 7 disc that came with it.  Don't upgrade to 7.2, 8 or higher.  They also have a Dual Tuner model for PCIe for XP.  If you need the Quad Tuner model you will need to use Windows 7 but this model will lack external video capturing.

Edited by 98SE

13 hours ago, MrMateczko said:

I mean PCIe 1x, not 16x.

If there is a PCie 1x device with 98SE drivers, I will change my post, I apologize.

I don't recall ever using this newer model on 98SE.  I think this model did not support it.  The older analog ones worked but used Win TV 2000.  Real old software and probably no digital channels so most of the 98SE compliant ones would be dead today for OTA or Cable TV use thanks to the DTV transition around 2009.  You could still use those older cards to capture analog footage from a VCR on 98SE.