win98se on z97m-d3h mobo (intel 9 series chipset)

truemaster

11 hours ago, 98SE said:

I wasn't aware there was a Windows 95C.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/osWin95BC-c.html

OEM SR2.5: This was produced at around the time that Microsoft became obsessed with tying browsers into their operating system. :^) It includes everything from OSR2.1 and also Internet Explorer 4. This variant is often called "Windows 95C".

So did you notice any differences between 95B and 95C?

Is updating 95B to IE4.0 the exact same thing?

On your 95C is Quick Launch user interface enabled by default?

Why did you need the SATA patch for your configuration?  How large are your SATA drives?

You don't see any differences between 95B and 95C on the surface. 95C includes the forced IE4 install and a handful of updated files. If you install 95B + IE4 + several HotFixes then you will have the same system. There used to be a MSKB article that detailed the differences between OSR2.1 and OSR2.5 but I'm sure it has "disappeared" by now. The most important differences are the inclusion of a HotFix that solves memory management issues on Pentium processors and a later version of the USBSUPP.EXE package included on the CD. Quick Launch will be enabled by default after the IE4 install.

As rloew mentioned the SATA patch is for the controller interface, not for the size of the HDD. (There's another patch for that.) Both "IDE" and "SATA" are technically different versions of "IDE." Legacy IDE = PATA. Native IDE = SATA. Modern motherboards that have an "IDE" setting go into Native Mode when it is used, thus the SATA patch is necessary.

11 hours ago, 98SE said:

Intel SATA Controller options:

Z77 has IDE, AHCI, and RAID.

Z87/Z97 Does anyone any of these two motherboard chipsets to confirm if the "Intel" Sata Controller has IDE Compatibility mode on them still in BIOS setting?

Z170/Z270 IDE removed, Only has AHCI and RAID.

See above.

10 hours ago, truemaster said:

im using maxim nusb3.6 for my usb2.0 are they any usb3.0 as well??

Currently no working USB3 drivers for Windows 9x. rloew and I have been trying to fix that, but no luck so far.

14 hours ago, rloew said:

Booting Windows 98SE from an USB Drive requires modifications.

What modifications? I just make a MS-DOS format using Rufus (8.1 and lower OS, 10 does not support that), copy the files (replacing command.com and io.sys to the 98se versions), boot from it, install the first part, edit system.ini for MaxPhysPage, boot again, install, end.

Once I obtain a 7900GTX, I will try to run 98SE with it on my ASRock H110M-DVS R3.0. It has a CSM toggle. No SATA mode selection.

Also, one thing I'm wondering, how does your SATA patch work, is it a MPD file, or a PDR file?

Edited by MrMateczko

7 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

Currently no working USB3 drivers for Windows 9x. rloew and I have been trying to fix that, but no luck so far.

mm difficult task i imagine. when i first install 98 i had in bios the ahci mode in device manager there was a yellow pci device now that i have ide with the patch that devive is gone i bet that was the ahci controller. what i mean is it will be a good challenge for skilled persons like you guys to write a modded driver.

@MrMateczko If you boot Windows 98SE from an USB Drive, it will lose access to the Drive when it loads the USB Drivers. The USB Drivers need to be disabled.

If you were successful, that would suggest that you are using a newer Motherboard that uses an USB 2 Controller that does not piggyback an USB 1 Controller as do older Motherboards.
Windows 98SE, by default, only recognizes USB 1 Controllers.

The SATA Patch modifies the ESDI_506.PDR File.

@truemaster AHCI uses a different Class code than IDE so it is treated as an Unknown Device. An AHCI Driver is a significant rewrite, not just a mod of the existing Driver. My AHCIBIOS TSR is a much simpler solution in systems with a switchable Controller.

I read the manuals for a Z170 and a Z270 Motherboard.

There is some ambiguity about the RAID Mode.

I have attached an AHCI Test Program that can be run from DOS. Test it using RAID Mode and AHCI Mode in the BIOS and report both results.

TESTAHCI.COM

15 hours ago, rloew said:

I read the manuals for a Z170 and a Z270 Motherboard.

There is some ambiguity about the RAID Mode.

I have attached an AHCI Test Program that can be run from DOS. Test it using RAID Mode and AHCI Mode in the BIOS and report both results.

TESTAHCI.COM

Downloaded for now.  Will transfer the files to Floppy for testing later.  Still troubleshooting 98SE for USB boot.

Edited by 98SE

ive run to some problem when i play those games need for speed undergound 2 and quake 4 after an hour either games freeze completely, only dos games arent affected, the sound stop first and 1 second later the system freeze and the pc lockups. that happends on need for speed 2. the quake 4 after an hour give this behavior the sound stops the game didnt completly freeze and leave only the mouse to work. and the keyboard not responding leave me no choice to hard reset my pc. my gpu is a pci-e gainward gforce 6800 gs 512 mb. im using the tweaked 8269 driver the gpu is installed in the second pci-e slot it called pcix4. non default bios changes i made are 1 disable the hyperthreating 2 disable the 3 of 4 cpu cores.  and instead of ahci i use ide in sata configuration with the sata patch. i use the himemx from freedos instead of himem.sys because the ms himem.sys didnt work for me. in order to minimize my 8gb to 512 mb system memory i edit system.ini in the [386Enh] i write MaxPhysPage=20000 i also test the video card in my win10 installation using the latest drivers they are for win8 btw and everything is ok i also test the nvsize demo patch but reporting that everything is allocated correct and no patching needed. any ideas?

Edited by truemaster

On Thursday, June 01, 2017 at 11:42 AM, truemaster said:

ive run to some problem when i play those games need for speed undergound 2 and quake 4 after an hour either games freeze completely, only dos games arent affected, the sound stop first and 1 second later the system freeze and the pc lockups. that happends on need for speed 2. the quake 4 after an hour give this behavior the sound stops the game didnt completly freeze and leave only the mouse to work. and the keyboard not responding leave me no choice to hard reset my pc. my gpu is a pci-e gainward gforce 6800 gs 512 mb. im using the tweaked 8269 driver the gpu is installed in the second pci-e slot it called pcix4. non default bios changes i made are 1 disable the hyperthreating 2 disable the 3 of 4 cpu cores.  and instead of ahci i use ide in sata configuration with the sata patch. i use the himemx from freedos instead of himem.sys because the ms himem.sys didnt work for me. in order to minimize my 8gb to 512 mb system memory i edit system.ini in the [386Enh] i write MaxPhysPage=20000 i also test the video card in my win10 installation using the latest drivers they are for win8 btw and everything is ok i also test the nvsize demo patch but reporting that everything is allocated correct and no patching needed. any ideas?

I'm trying to figure that out.  How much memory is showing up in your System Properties screen.  Can you take a snapshot and upload here?

Right Click on My Computer icon to get to the screen.

Why did you need the nvsize?  Have you tried without it?  Maybe too much system memory causing the problem.

Test a 256MB video card to see if the same result.

Edited by 98SE

There is no need to disable Cores or Hyperthreading. Windows 9x doesn't even know the other Cores exist. Only my MULTCORE API can access them.

The main NVSIZE issues cause an immediate crash. A frozen Mouse issue can occur later, sometime with a loss of Disk access. You did not see either. 

11 hours ago, rloew said:

There is no need to disable Cores or Hyperthreading. Windows 9x doesn't even know the other Cores exist. Only my MULTCORE API can access them.

The main NVSIZE issues cause an immediate crash. A frozen Mouse issue can occur later, sometime with a loss of Disk access. You did not see either. 

Will 256MB AGP, PCIe, and PCI graphics cards nVidia work fine without the NVSIZE?  Do any Ati or non NVidia graphics card need any patching similar to this program?

Do any standard 16/32bit 98 Software (unmodified) of that era take advantage of the MULTCORE API?

256 mb of video card is fine. mine is a 512mb pci-e and the patch isnt needed its a 6xxx series i thing the nvsize patch is needed for 512mb 7xxx series card

Edited by truemaster

The Can't Access Drive C: BSOD is a possible sign of the Interrupt issue. I do not know what Cards and/or Drivers have the issue. Is the Hard Disk Controller Interrupt the same as the Video Card Interrupt?

The NVSIZE Patch is needed for some 512MB 6xxx Cards and not all 512MB 7xxx Cards. The NVCHECK Program verifies which ones.

As far as I know the NVSIZE Patch is not needed for 256MB or smaller cards. ATI and other Cards may need patching but I have none to test.

Like my MEMORY64 API, the MULTCORE API requires Programs to be Linked to the Library. It is possible to move the entirety of Windows 9x to another Core but that would not be an improvement.

Edited by rloew

yes hdd controllers soundblaster pci card and pci-e card have interrupt 11. but if i put in the bios the ahci mode the sata controllers will disappear a pci card will appear (yellow color) this have interrupt 10. but the issue remains. the next thing i will try is to disable virtual ram so the drive wont have to write the win386.swp file just to eliminate some disk access.