win98se on z97m-d3h mobo (intel 9 series chipset)

truemaster

1 hour ago, truemaster said:

maybe not all motherboards emulate the ide interface as win98se wants. @rloew you can send me the patch to either email

XXXXXXXXXX@mail.com

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx@mail.com

Edit your email addresses out and send it as a Private Message to him so no one spams you.  :(

Good! all clear now :w00t:

Intel SATA Controller options:

Z77 has IDE, AHCI, and RAID.

Z87/Z97 Does anyone any of these two motherboard chipsets to confirm if the "Intel" Sata Controller has IDE Compatibility mode on them still in BIOS setting?

Z170/Z270 IDE removed, Only has AHCI and RAID.

Thanks.

Edited by 98SE

SATA Drives may or may not work with Windows 9x. It depends upon whether the Interface is Legacy or Native.
AHCI Mode may either crash immediately or leave you in Compatibility Mode, which is much slower.

My Driver is called DISKBIOS, the AHCI disabling Version is called AHCIBIOS. They are not currently listed on my Website. They are not included with the SATA Patch.

@truemaster I only have your Paypal E-Mail. I will send it there.

1 minute ago, rloew said:

SATA Drives may or may not work with Windows 9x. It depends upon whether the Interface is Legacy or Native.
AHCI Mode may either crash immediately or leave you in Compatibility Mode, which is much slower.

My Driver is called DISKBIOS, the AHCI disabling Version is called AHCIBIOS. They are not currently listed on my Website. They are not included with the SATA Patch.

lets try my luck then:D

23 hours ago, truemaster said:

hello win98se fanboy here. after some years that i have 2 pcs one modern for everyday use, and one old for old games, i decide to try win98se on my new mobo. with the help of himemx.exe from freedos i manage to success my instalation, i also find chipset drivers (unofficial ones) from here http://windows98.xf.cz/

i install my sblive ct 4830 and i buy a pci-e gainward 6800gs card with 512 mb sound and video are ok. but i cant make a use of an ide controller i have a seagate sata 1 hdd 500gb with two partitions a 20gb fat32 partition for windows and the rest is an ntfs one (i use it on my primary os) the write and reads from my hdd are slow. when i put my mobo settings to ide windows will detect ide controlers i think they are dual pci ide single fifo, but after restart the windows will freeze if i go to safe mode and select the one with only secondary option the windows will boot ok but nothing will change on hdd perfomance. weird enough but if i select in bios the ahci mode windows will install and work ok slow reads and writes again but this time no ide controller-s but thats normal i think. my memory is 2x4gb ddr3 and in config.sys i always have this line device=c:\windows\himem.exe /max=512000 so windows will work approx 512 mb. now is there anything i can do for the slow reads and writes? my mobo as sata configuration have ide ahci and raid

Your hard drive is too large.

Try to find either 60GB SATA HDD or if your motherboard has IDE controller use 60GB IDE laptop 2.5 hard drive instead.

The maximum SATA HDD I would try is 120GB or 128GB.  Too many headaches as DOS can't really read files and directories correctly above that threshold things start getting wonky.  Maybe 250 and 320GB might be different.  I remember a few USB hard drives I connected that large still can read FAT32 no problem in 98 DOS.

But older 6.22 DOS and earlier I think might have problems if you want to pure legacy non Windows DOS.  I would try 20GB hard SATA or IDE HDD instead since that is the smallest.  Sata SSD you can go to 4GB so that should work on all MSDOS/WIN 9x DOS multiboot.

I will be testing installing W98 onto SSD via USB port to see if it works.  Never tried it before but now the technology exists.  I also have an old IDE to SATA adapter so I can test SATA drive on IDE controller to see if it works that way too.

Edited by 98SE

If the 20GB FAT32 Partition is placed first, then there should be no problem.

The limit is 137GB. To support more than 137GB you need my High Capacity Disk Patch or equivalent.
This limit does not apply to USB.

Booting Windows 98SE from an USB Drive requires modifications.

Edited by rloew
Added info.

4 hours ago, rloew said:

USB SATA First test:

DOS stage Black Screen Of Death error.

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vrtwd.386

Second DOS stage Black Screen Of Death error.

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vfix.vxd

Third DOS stage Black Screen Of Death error.

Error loading GDI.EXE.  You must reinstall Windows.

IDE -> SATA Adapter -> SATA SSD

Didn't detect on either port

More troubleshooting...

Edited by 98SE

3 hours ago, 98SE said:

Intel SATA Controller options:

Z77 has IDE, AHCI, and RAID.

Z87/Z97 Does anyone any of these two motherboard chipsets to confirm if the "Intel" Sata Controller has IDE Compatibility mode on them still in BIOS setting?

Z170/Z270 IDE removed, Only has AHCI and RAID.

Thanks.

Z87 and Z97 definitely support IDE Mode.

If so, the Z170/Z270 may work with AHCIBIOS, provided that the Controller is switchable.

1 hour ago, rloew said:

Z87 and Z97 definitely support IDE Mode.

If so, the Z170/Z270 may work with AHCIBIOS, provided that the Controller is switchable.

Thanks.  Z170/Z270 do not have IDE Mode present in BIOS.  Only AHCI or RAID option.

When you say switchable referring to being able to pick AHCI mode?  RAID will not work is that what you meant?

Edited by 98SE

I am referring to the actual Controller, not the BIOS.

A controller can support Register (IDE), MMIO (AHCI), or both.

If both, then it is switchable. If not, it would report "AHCI-Only".

RAID mode can be either IDE or AHCI. All modern Motherboards use AHCI for RAID.