Spoofing Firefox 53 (and newer versions) on Windows 2000 and XP

3 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Wow .. hey friend, that was fast :) I do now recall it was you that wrote that somewhere here in some discussion. My memory is fuzzy at times but I remember bits and pieces I see.

I wrote about it somewhere in 360 EE sections (where you were quite active too).

This one works very good too .

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.8

On 12/21/2021 at 8:48 AM, XPerceniol said:

I've actually changed my UA as it came into light that since I'm actually running a 32 bit browser, the sites would be able to tell and feed the bower 64 bit ... I don't recall whom said this on here, but somebody said sites feed 64 bit worth of crap and only slows it down further, so better to report as 32 bit.

Well, if any web sites are doing that, it's pretty stupid! The "bitness" of your OS doesn't say anything about your CPU speed, or number of cores, or how much RAM you have (only that you might have 4GB or more). But it wouldn't surprise me either - you could probably infer that "on average" a 64-bit OS runs on a "better" PC than a 32-bit one, and web sites do lots of stupid things, it seems....

Anyhow, depending on what you want to spoof, here's what general.oscpu.override should contain:

1. Windows 64-bit (64-bit browser): Windows NT x.y; Win64; x64
  2. Windows 64-bit (32-bit browser): Windows NT x.y; WOW64
  3. Windows 32-bit: Windows NT x.y

And the OS slice of your user agent should match.

Here's what general.platform.override should contain:

1. Windows 64-bit: Win64
  2. Windows 32-bit: Win32

This came from developer.mozilla.com.

As I mentioned elsewhere, in the particular case of spoofing "official" Basilisk, you should spoof a 64-bit browser on a 64-bit OS (option 1 above), because it's only available as a 64-bit build. And the Windows version should be at least 6.1, because that's the oldest Windows version "official" Basilisk will run on. (Serpent, in contrast, is available in both flavors, and will run on anything from XP forward.)

Edit: As pointed out recently in this thread, the struck words are no longer true. "Official" Basilisk is no longer developed by MCP, and the new developer does release 32-bit builds.

Edited by Mathwiz

Again, thank you.

Just trying to understand this if trying to Spoof FF 91 (or 78) on 32 Bit windows 10.

Example 3: Windows 32-bit: Windows NT x.y

user_pref("general.oscpu.override", "Windows NT 10.0; Win32; x86");
user_pref("general.useragent.override", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win32; x86; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0");

Are you saying what is in blue could be omitted and that general.platform.override should still be added and set to Win32?

No rush to reply, of course, and/or maybe I'm just having 'one of those days' again :)

PS: Of course, I (fully) realize this is not fooling what js reports when enabled.

Edited by XPerceniol

user_pref("general.oscpu.override", "Windows NT 10.0");
user_pref("general.useragent.override", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0");

spacer.png

user_pref("general.oscpu.override", "Windows NT 10.0; Win32; x86");
user_pref("general.useragent.override", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win32; x86; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0");

spacer.png

Actually, the 2nd is better overall for speed and videos do play without skipping.

This is without setting general.platform.override.

I suspect WOW64 might be another option going forward if sites start to do 'funny business' with 32 bit. AARRGGHH

Edited by XPerceniol

Interesting. The user agent from (obviously 32-bit) Serpent 55 running on 32-bit Windows XP contains no "Win32:"

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/4.0 Firefox/55.0 Basilisk/20210125

I'm a bit surprised that specifying Win32 in the OS slice has any effect on how a Web site interprets the user agent. A Web site should assume Windows running Firefox (or a variant like Basilisk or Serpent) is 32-bit unless explicitly told otherwise! But I'm sure a lot of Javascript parsing code is written improperly, so it may be worth putting in "Win32" even if you already are running a 32-bit version of Windows, particularly if you're spoofing a fairly recent Windows or Firefox version. The Javascript developer may be substituting their own assumptions about Firefox UAs for what Firefox actually does.

Most sites probably won't check the Javascript functions navigator.oscpu or navigator.platform. Mozilla's currently preferred functions simply parse the user agent, so changing the UA "should be" all you need to do; however, many folks know how to override a user agent, but not as many know about those other two overrides, so it's probably best to override them too, "just in case" some Web site doesn't trust the user agent.

WOW64 is for 32-bit browsers running on 64-bit OSes. (The usual reason for doing this is to run 32-bit plug-ins.) If you have a 64-bit OS, you can see the WOW64 by running, say, a 32-bit version of Serpent without an override and checking the user agent with a site like https://www.whatismybrowser.com/detect/what-is-my-user-agent.

• 1 year later...
On 12/21/2021 at 3:39 PM, Mathwiz said:

As I mentioned elsewhere, in the particular case of spoofing "official" Basilisk, you should spoof a 64-bit browser on a 64-bit OS (option 1 above), because it's only available as a 64-bit build. And the Windows version should be at least 6.1, because that's the oldest Windows version "official" Basilisk will run on. (Serpent, in contrast, is available in both flavors, and will run on anything from XP forward.)

This is false. I release both 32 and 64 bit builds of Basilisk for Windows.

Edit: sorry for reviving an old thread, I wasn't paying attention to the dates. Ignore me:buehehe:

Edited by basilisk-dev
I goofed lol

Yes, IIRC at the time (Dec. 2021) it was true, and there was some hostility between MCP and users of @roytam1's builds; hence my advice. I wanted to avoid giving MCP's Web site any "clues" (via the user agent string) that one was running an unofficial build.

But that's not true any more, so I updated that old post - and thank you for releasing 32-bit builds! Even in the Win 7+ world, 32-bit PCs (and VMs) are occasionally found.

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2021 at 11:22 AM, Dixel said:

I wrote about it somewhere in 360 EE sections (where you were quite active too).

This one works very good too .

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.8

Thank you! Indeed it does, I'm now spoofing it with 78.