Spoofing Firefox 53 (and newer versions) on Windows 2000 and XP

Seems to be in the same place in NM28: C:\Program Files\palemoonx86\palemoon\browser\omni.ja\defaults\preferences\palemoon-branding.js (with i430VX's installer)

But I guess that proves your point: it's hard to find, even if you know where to look!

19 hours ago, siria said:

SITE USERAGENTS in general
There are several possibilities where they can be defined (just like any other pref too):

1) A bunch of predefined site-UAs in original browser builds come inside omni.ja.
If unzipped can be discovered hiding in a giant melting pot file with almost 2000 default prefs. File name goanna.js, or greprefs.js, all.js etc, depending on the browser version.
Update (thanks Mathwiz in next post): ...or in newer browsers in file (browser installation folder)\browser\omni.ja\defaults\preferences\(browsername)-branding.js - or not at all in omni.ja anymore.
Those default prefs can also be viewed and customized on about:config, unless overruled by 2) to 4)
Omni.js is by far the most user-hostile place :( But at least it has the lowest priority. The prob is that just about no user is aware where those mysterious default site-UAs are coming from, and especially how to get rid of them when later becoming outdated. Would be much easier on users if fork-builders would define all their predefined site-UAs instead in a separate file, in place 2:

2) The best possibility to define user friendly default prefs:
written in any file in folder ...firefox.../browser/defaults/preferences/.....js
That place makes them "default" values too, and has priority over 1)
In very old browsers the path is ...firefox.../defaults/pref/....js
For easy maintenance users can simply create a new file there themselves, e.g. called myuseragents.js
3) the normal way for users: define personally customized site-UAs in the profile folder.
By manually adding them in about:config, or by using an extension.
Adding or changing them in about:config will automatically store the new values in file prefs.js in the profile folder.
(except if now matching the default value again, then the browser will delete them from the profile, but that's another story)
4) very unusual but possible: users can store any prefs that are important to them in the profile in user.js. That will make them "startup prefs". Those can be changed during a session in about:config, but at next browser start the value from user.js will be imported again.)

I musr still be missing something, as I followerd guide and created a file config-prefs.js with

pref("general.config.obscure_value", 0);
pref("general.config.filename", "config.js");

and placed in the C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\pref

then a config.js with
// needs to start with a comment line
Components.utils.import("resource://gre/modules/Services.jsm");
Services.obs.addObserver(function (aSubject, aTopic, aData) {
  var chromeWindow = aSubject;
  chromeWindow.setTimeout(function () {
    Components.utils.import("resource://gre/modules/UserAgentOverrides.jsm", chromeWindow);
    chromeWindow.UserAgentOverrides.init();
  }, 1000);
}, "browser-delayed-startup-finished", false);

placed inside  C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox

But when i try to create a UA string it is still set as  user set instead of default

i tried putting useragent.override.whatismybrowser.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv66.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/66.0

inside the file config-prefs.js but alto it appears in about:config straig away with out manually putting in, it still show as user set NOT as default

I have checked for any "possible" mistakes I "may" have made

I have made correct files in right places, have I missed something

should any mods be made to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\q65xjekw.default-1556195193171

there isn't any of other files mention in both my ff folders

usually i am ok in picking up, but maybe a numpty here lol

is ther ea sting or boolean I need to amend from true to false or vice verse to force from bevoming user set to default ?

Edited by DrWho3000
edit

3 hours ago, DrWho3000 said:

i tried putting useragent.override.whatismybrowser.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv66.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/66.0

It needs to be general.useragent.override.whatismybrowser.com. Is that just a typo in your post, or did you enter it into about:config that way?

4 hours ago, DrWho3000 said:

usually i am ok in picking up, but maybe a numpty here lol

... Both @Mathwiz and I have literally hand-held you in this... ;); what I would suggest is temporarily quit trying, have a soothing drink or something and simply relax for a couple of hours...

Then go back two or three pages in this thread and with a clear mind try to re-digest what has been already detailed in, hopefully, good English, sticking only to what is being documented in the posts and refrain, as advised already, from actions like trashing your current profile (via browser reset for instance); pay religious attention to about:config pref names, excluding typos...

To re-enable SSUAOs in Firefox 52, only the program installation directory path is needed, don't mess with any of the browser profile files...

By the looks of it, you have created the correct javascript files and placed them in the right locations; then, you only need access to the native config editor found in "about:config" tab - don't mess with the JS files or any other InstalDir and/or profile files!

The about:support internal page will only display the GLOBAL user agent of the browser; that value would either be the stock browser value (e.g. Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 on WinXP 32-bit) or the value of the user set pref general.useragent.override (if present)... SSUAOs do not show up in the User-Agent entry in about:support/Application Basics, but do show up further down, under the Important Modified Preferences section.

SSUAOs take precedence over the GLOBAL user agent (be it stock or user set); as instructed numerous times, right-click in an empty space inside about:config and choose New => String ; rather than typing there long pref names/values, I advise you to first create the correct pref name and value (please, doublecheck!) inside a .txt document and then just copy-paste them in the suitable fields (New string value -> Enter string value); hopefully, you'll make it right!

Edited by VistaLover

Right I went right back to begining undoing  what I did the config files

and recreated the config-prefs.js and config files with correct script in each putting in correct folders

made sure there was No double entries in the Prefs file

restarted FF went to about :config it was clear, then tried to create a new string  general.useragent.override.whatismybrowser.com;

but this still came back and set as user set and not  as default (as shown in someone else's image

i did notice a few posts back there is this

Components.utils.import('resource://gre/modules/UserAgentOverrides.jsm').UserAgentOverrides.init();

which is different to another post

// needs to start with a comment line
Components.utils.import("resource://gre/modules/Services.jsm");
Services.obs.addObserver(function (aSubject, aTopic, aData) {
  var chromeWindow = aSubject;
  chromeWindow.setTimeout(function () {
    Components.utils.import("resource://gre/modules/UserAgentOverrides.jsm", chromeWindow);
    chromeWindow.UserAgentOverrides.init();
  }, 1000);
}, "browser-delayed-startup-finished", false);

so which of those 2 js is right

I have done No other mods to prefs apart from the media and gmp strings/booloeans ot to make addons/extenrions appear

I Did come across these

--------------------------------------------------------------------
general.appname.override - (user set string) Netscape

general.appversion.override - (user set string) 5.0 (Windows)

general.buildID.override - (user set string) 0

general.oscpu.override - (user set string) Windows NT 6.1  "(Possible ro sppof your OS)"

general.platform.override - (user set string) Win32

general.productSub.override = 20100101

general.appversion.override = 5.0 (Windows)

general.oscpu.override = Windows NT 6.1

general.platform.override = Win32

general.buildID.override = 20100101

it appears these are hidden so will not appear in a search in about:config

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

to further spoof

I would presume this one general.oscpu.override - (user set string) Windows NT 6.1  will spoof your OS

None of these are present in FF

If you visit here http://browserspy.dk/ 

this site will reveal just how much sniffing there is and what can be seen by sites

==================================================

On trying  a new string    general.oscpu.override;Windows NT 6.1

then going here http://browserspy.dk/os.php

it does indeed spoof your OS version, tried it with and without and got 5.1 and 6.1

Edited by DrWho3000
edit

1 hour ago, DrWho3000 said:

restarted FF went to about :config it was clear, then tried to create a new string  general.useragent.override.whatismybrowser.com;

:angry: The (new) user preference name that should be input in the "New string value" pop-up field must NOT contain the last semicolon (;), it should just be

general.useragent.override.whatismybrowser.com

Do not edit pref.js file manually to create SSUAOs; ONLY use the native about:config editor as you were instructed in previous posts (mine and others')!!!

but this still came back and set as user set and not as default (as shown in someone else's image)

As it has already been said to you, FirefoxESR 52.9.x DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY STOCK (default) SSUAOs, so it's quite natural that ANY SSUAO created in its about:config page should be labelled as user set (and thus appear in bold!); STOP looking at other people's images, if you can't tell yourself that the image there is from New Moon 28, which (and this has also been conveyed to you) DOES come with STOCK SSUAOs inside its config editor (which are non-bold when not modified, i.e. "default"). Please do exactly as you are being instructed, do not deviate one iota from my SSUAO guide (linked to also by @Mathwiz)!

What you do with other about:config prefs (that control other aspects of the browser behaviour) should not be your focus in the SSUAO context! :no:

================================

OT: I have a background of many years in education (Physics, Chemistry, Biology), I have to admit this is being one of my most hard "teaching" cases... ;) No offence is meant towards the other party, I am simply lost as to how I can make this come across... :dubbio:

I think I am done myself :( - assigning this to someone more able/patient at (over-)explaining things... :unsure:

Edited by VistaLover

@VistaLover @Mathwiz

thank you for your patience and understanding it is appreciated very much, must of had a mind block (which sometimes happens tales a while for somethings to sink in) overload of info,

the old saying can;t see woods for the trees

I literally unpicked everything and broke it down  and went thru everythin bit by bit and low n behold it now works

having general.useragent.override;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:66.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/66.0  (as the main one)

then general.useragent.override.instagram.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 instagram now indeed works and not get broken

i'm trying a few other websites that either sniff or breaks due to browser version being sent is wrong.

I can say creating a new (user set string)  general.oscpu.override  (Value) Windows NT 6.1 does indeed send your OS as (Window 7) instead of 5.1 (XP)

going here  http://useragentstring.com

and herehttp://browserspy.dk/os.php

I may play with these

general.appname.override - (user set string)
Netscape     sends the name of browser

general.appversion.override - (user set string)
5.0 (Windows) not sure

general.buildID.override - (user set string)
0 browser build

general.platform.override - (user set string)
Win32 says wether is is 32 or 64 bit

general.productSub.override - (user set string)
20100101 this says when the browser was built

might have a further play to fool about:support to fool it  i have latest stuff

fool it it is a newer browser, and build, so 20130621 is 21st june what the others is unsure 064021

more so the OS version instead  of telling me its Windows_ NT 5.1  instead 6.1

i would belive the build ID is when it was builr

unless about support reads from the PC and not browser then a no go

Once again thank you to all who helped get this in his skull

Now this interesting https://www.whatismybrowser.com/guides/the-latest-version/firefox

according to this there is Firefox Extended Support Release 60.6.1 yet I can't get my FF to update

(which appears to be for Windows 7 (32 bit),Windows 7 (64 bit),Windows 8,windows 10,Mac OS X,Linux

ff.JPG

this is only a passing thought, I used to play with hex editors years ago changing a program

say from a trial or shareware install to a full install or changing a program to say it was diffrent

wonder it this is possible to do with FF fool they system you have a new version

Edited by DrWho3000

I can say creating a new (user set string)  general.oscpu.override  (Value) Windows NT 6.1 does indeed send your OS as (Window 7) instead of 5.1 (XP)

general.appname.override - (user set string)
Netscape     sends the name of browser

general.appversion.override - (user set string)
5.0 (Windows) not sure

general.buildID.override - (user set string)
0 browser build

general.platform.override - (user set string)
Win32 says wether is is 32 or 64 bit

general.productSub.override - (user set string)
20100101 this says when the browser was built

These prefs are only used if you don't have a general.useragent.override configured. They are used to build up the user agent string from its components. For me, it's easier to just specify a general.useragent.override string.

On 4/29/2019 at 9:34 AM, siria said:

The best possibility to define user friendly default prefs:
written in any file in folder ...firefox.../browser/defaults/preferences/.....js
That place makes them "default" values too, and has priority over 1)
In very old browsers the path is ...firefox.../defaults/pref/....js
For easy maintenance users can simply create a new file there themselves, e.g. called myuseragents.js

With that thought in mind, I created a myuseragents.js file. I started with the built-in prefs from NM 28 and unbranded them (except in a few cases where a PaleMoon user agent was required to avoid stupid "out-of-date FF version" messages - obviously if a Web site works under PM/NM, it should work under FF 52 as well, but some Webmasters don't seem to understand this), then added a few of my own.

These show up in about:config as "default" preferences; of course you can override any of them with your own user-set preferences as needed or desired.

They should make a good starting point for FF 52 or any of its derivatives, but I haven't tested most of the ones from NM (I went on the assumption that MCP knew what they were doing when they created them) so feel free to post any needed corrections.

Edit: Added (hopefully) future-proofing SSUAOs for instagram.com (FF 56, courtesy @mixit) and github.com (native Basilisk, courtesy @VistaLover and @mixit again). Future-proofing is by nature an imprecise art, but these stand the best chance of resisting future breakage IMO.

myuseragents.js

Edited by Mathwiz
Updated to report Win 8.1 now that Win 7 is EoS

18 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

myuseragents.js

=>

// For Amazon Prime videos (forces use of Microsoft Silverlight plug-in)
pref("general.useragent.override.www.amazon.com","Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.9");

I don't have an Amazon Prime Video (paid) subscription, so take this cum grano salis, but it was reported in the (official) Pale Moon forums that Amazon have updated their framework to now require the DRM API and, thus, having WidevineCDM present, enabled and up-to-date (>= 1.4.9.xxxx) is a prerequisite (no Silverlight fallback is possible anymore... :angry:):

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?p=163937#p163937

FirefoxESR 52.9.0[1] comes with a deprecated WV version (1.4.8.903), so it won't work under Vista+ (for reasons already discussed elsewhere, WV won't work at all under XP). At least for Amazon Music, supposedly a posted SSUAO would allow (for the time being?) a fallback to using Adobe Flash Player NPAPI: 

pref("general.useragent.override.music.amazon.com","Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_13_6) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/12.0 Safari/605.1.15");

Mathwiz said:

With that thought in mind, I created a myuseragents.js file. I started with the built-in prefs from NM 28 and unbranded them (except in a few cases where a PaleMoon user agent was required to avoid stupid "out-of-date FF version" messages - obviously if a Web site works under PM/NM, it should work under FF 52 as well, but some Webmasters don't seem to understand this), then added a few of my own.
These show up in about:config as "default" preferences; of course you can override any of them with your own user-set preferences as needed or desired.

Great! Such a file is exactly what I had in mind. Very handy for users. And also how I'd like roytam1 to include the out-of-box UA's, instead of hidden away deep inside omni.ja, where almost no one can find them, let alone figure out how to delete one. (and in newer browsers hidden even deeper as earlier versions, as I learned in this topic).
As additional suggestion, if you like, to include your description above, along with a link to here.

It appear the Netflix does alot deeper sniffing if i have

general.useragent.override;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; rv:66.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/66.0

having above set then

general.useragent.override.netflix.com/gb;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

I get

Netflix system requirements for HTML5 Player and Silverlight

You can use our HTML5 player or the Silverlight plug-in to watch Netflix TV shows and movies on PCs running Windows XP or later, and Intel-based Macs running OS X Tiger (v10.4.11) or later. You'll find a complete list of requirements below for HTML5, Silverlight 4, and Silverlight 5.

HTML5

Silverlight 4

Silverlight 5

there is this

Operating Systems and Browsers

Operating System

Internet
Explorer 11

Internet
Explorer 10

Internet
Explorer 9

Internet
Explorer 8

Internet
Explorer 7

Firefox
12-52

Safari
4-11

Chrome
12-44

NOTE Firefox versions only upto 52

but setting general.useragent.override;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; rv:66.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/66.0

back to general.useragent.override;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0

Netflix will allow me to play videos

So it apears with Netflix there is deeper sniffing  as I do have Silverlight  5.1 and sure I have HTML5 even tho it didnt fall back to it

even with all the gmp strings in place and have Primetime Decryption in aswell

I've noticed (unless I'm wrong) that reporting a browserabove 62 breaks Youtbe.com

I'm sure it used to work reporting 66 also where I had No sidebar on utube there is now one

also about:sync breaks aswell unless it is set to 52 what would be the override prefrence for this

Edited by DrWho3000

This is what I Have In FF About:config

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Name Product                                           Type        Value
---------------------------------------------------------------------
gmp-eme-adobe.abi                                  string      x86-msvc-x86
gmp-gmpopenh264.abi                              string       x86-msvc-x86
gmp-gmpopenh264.lastUpdate                  integer    1495400516"
gmp-gmpopenh264.version                       string      1.6
media.eme.enabled                                    boolean    TRUE
media.gmp.decoder.enabled                       boolean    TRUE
media.gmp.storage.version.observed         integer    1
media.gmp-eme-adobe.abi                         string      17
media.gmp-eme-adobe.abi                         string    x86-msvc-x86
media.gmp-eme-adobe.autoupdate            boolean    FALSE
media.gmp-eme-adobe.enabled                 boolean    TRUE
media.gmp-eme-adobe.forceSupported      boolean    TRUE
media.gmp-eme-adobe.forcevisible             boolean    TRUE
media.gmp-eme-adobe.lastUpdate              integer    1512748679
media.gmp-eme-adobe.version                   string       17
media.gmp-eme-adobe.visible                     boolean    TRUE
media.gmp-manager.buildID                        string    "20180621064021"
media.gmp-manager.lastCheck",                 integer    1537098990
media.gmp-widevinecdm.forceSupported    boolean    TRUE
media.hardware-video-decoding.failed        boolean    FALSE
media.mediasource.ignore_codecs             boolean    TRUE
media.mediasource.webm.enabled              boolean    TRUE
mediasource.enabled                                  boolean    TRUE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there anything I should add to this (that " I maybe missing) , or anyone know of more mods

Can Someone shed some light on these

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
general.appname.override        user set string     Netscape
general.appversion.override     user set string      5.0 Windows
general.buildID.override            user set string      0
general.oscpu.override             user set string       Windows NT 6.1  Pretty sure this overrides the Operating system to say you have  different
general.platform.override            user set string     Win32
general.productSub.override      user set string      20100101
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

setting this general.useragent.override.myspace.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; rv66.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/66.0

turns out. Javascript is capable of detecting your browser- without using the above info

seems java script can still read what you have and send,,,, maybe this is why I can't use Netflix if I say I have different

So, set the following:
general.XXX.override where XXX is the name of the specific object code you want to set. For example, on my system javascript:navigator.platform is "win32", so to change this, I'd create a new string: general.platform.override and set it to "Linux i686". MAKE SURE NEW STRINGS ARE LOWERCASE!!!

Windows XP Defaults:
javascript:navigator.appCodeName "Mozilla"
javascript:navigator.appName "Netscape"
javascript:navigator.appVersion "5.0 (Windows; en-US)"
javascript:navigator.buildID "20100611143157"
javascript:navigator.oscpu "Windows NT 5.1"
javascript:navigator.platform "Win32"
javascript:navigator.plugins (plugin array)
javascript:navigator.product "Gecko"
javascript:navigator.productSub "20100611"
javascript:navigator.vendor
javascript:navigator.vendorSub

Notice that the buildID, productSub are dates.

If this the case so it would be 11th june 2010  what would 143157 be is it a build number ?

This could be of interest

Browser
browser.cache.disk.enable -                boolean     false
browser.cache.offline.enable -             boolean     false
browser.search.suggest.enabled         boolean     false
browser.sessionstore.privacy_level     integer      2
dom.storage.enabled                           boolean     false
general.appname.override                   string      Netscape
general.appversion.override                string      Windows 5.0
general.buildID.override                       string      0
general.oscpu.override                        string      Windows NT 6.1
general.platform.override                     string      Win32
general.productSub.override               string      20100101

A Side Note Has anyone tried to see if the latest ESR will work on XP apart from 52.9.0 and 52.9.1

Edited by DrWho3000

On 4/30/2019 at 4:49 PM, VistaLover said:

I don't have an Amazon Prime Video (paid) subscription, so take this cum grano salis, but it was reported in the (official) Pale Moon forums that Amazon have updated their framework to now require the DRM API and, thus, ..no Silverlight fallback is possible anymore... :angry:

Disappointing if true (and I have no reason to doubt it), but not surprising; I'm surprised Amazon has supported Silverlight even this long. (OTOH, Netflix apparently still supports it :huh: )

That essentially kills Amazon Prime on XP, unless a newer Chrome (maybe that Chrome 360?) can support the new Widevine 1.4.10 when it comes out.

On 4/30/2019 at 4:49 PM, VistaLover said:

At least for Amazon Music, supposedly a posted SSUAO would allow (for the time being?) a fallback to using Adobe Flash Player NPAPI: 

Thanks; I added that to my file. (Don't forget to enable Flash if, like me, you normally keep it disabled!)

On 4/30/2019 at 7:56 PM, DrWho3000 said:

It appear the Netflix does alot deeper sniffing if i have

general.useragent.override.netflix.com/gb;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Try

general.useragent.override.netflix.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.9

and

general.useragent.override.netflximg.net;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.9

You need both. (And of course, you need to have Silverlight installed.)

45 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

Try

general.useragent.override.netflix.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.9

and

general.useragent.override.netflximg.net;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.9

thnx @Mathwiz

you sir are a saint I did this and changed main useragent back to

general.useragent.override;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:66.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/66.0

and it worked a treat

thank you