installing win95 on a clean hdd without cd-rom

bossman17

hi everyone i am in need of a little assistance with a win95 install.....

i have an old machine that is IDE based which did have XP installed but i need to install windows 95 on it in order to run some older programs....

i made a bootable floppy disk from the bootdisk site however i dont have a cd-rom for setup....

i have used fdisk to clean then partition and activate the hdd but once i have done that all i get is the A:\> prompt and cant get any further than that....

i have been scouring the web looking for info on what i have missed and all i can find is constant references to using a cd-rom which i do not have and cannot find a download file for....

i am so lost and almost at my wits end trying to work this out.....and no i cannot get access to an original floppy and cd-rom otherwise i wouldnt be here(for those that have to ask).....

please help me......thankyou

>and cannot find a download file for....
Microsoft never offered Windows 95 as a download and doesn't sell licenses for it anymore, anyway.

>and no i cannot get access to an original floppy and cd-rom otherwise i wouldnt be here
Keep trying to get an original Win95 CD or floppy disk set. We'll help you install it once you actually have it.

I have re-read the first post, and still cannot understand what the issue actually is. :unsure:

You want to install Windows 95 and you are asking for assistance to install it (because you have - under *whatever* form/saved on whatever media - a copy of the needed install files)?

OR

You want to install Windows 95 and you are asking for assistance in finding the needed install files?

For the first, no problem, but you will need to describe your hardware and the actual files you have (with as much detail as possible).

For the second, this is not the right place to ask, even if Microsoft does not sell it anymore, it is still under copyright/whatever and thus we are not allowed to share those files, but you should be able to get an original CD-ROM media (and hopefully a valid license) on e-bay or similar.

At the time Windows 95 came either as CD-ROM or as a set of 1.44" Mb floppy disks, 26 or 28 if I recall correctly, if you can get a CD-ROM it would be better, the floppies are (were) formatted with a non-standard format and even at the time there were issues in reading them on some floppy disk drives.

Alternatively try refining your google-fu :w00t: , the net is full of copies (ISO's) of that Install CD (of course whether they are modified/contain malware etc. and/or whether the mere act of downloading them is unlawful in your country :ph34r: is up to your judgment).

jaclaz