Microsoft patches Windows XP to fight 'WannaCry' attacks

Jody Thornton

2k/XP/2k3 it self is immune . WannaCry virus sub system ver of PE is 6.1 also it need NTFS transaction api to work which does not exists in any Nt 5.x system .

The virus will not work so no screenshot of infected XP exists in web . <Offer against the rules removed>

SMB 1 vulnerability fully cannot effect Nt 5.x donot believe me compare 7 and XP patch under IDA

2 hours ago, Dibya said:

2k/XP/2k3 it self is immune . WannaCry virus sub system ver of PE is 6.1 also it need NTFS transaction api to work which does not exists in any Nt 5.x system .

The virus will not work so no screenshot of infected XP exists in web . <Offer against the rules removed>

SMB 1 vulnerability fully cannot effect Nt 5.x donot believe me compare 7 and XP patch under IDA

Wine has no NTFS related API but it still runs and encrypts files.

12 hours ago, roytam1 said:

Wine has no NTFS related API but it still runs and encrypts files.

It seems to be highly developed virus . I am talking about transaction api of ntdll. Stubs for those do exist in wine 

Edited by Dibya

2 hours ago, JodyT said:

So if I were running XP or Windows 2000 on a FAT32 partition (which I actually did back in the day), are you saying I'd be immune to Wanna cry(pt)?

Nope I am talking about nt6.x api of ntdll that do NTFS transaction 

EDIT : NtCommitTransaction this is the api needed by WannaCry v 2.0 but WannaCry v 1.0 can infect even nt 4.0 so be aware .

Edited by Dibya

I'd love to know why this KB4012598 update hasn't been pushed out to Automatic Updates. It seems like that would be a good idea given the scale of the infections.

Back in May 2014, you will recall KB2964358 was pushed out via Automatic Updates, to patch the zero-day exploit on Internet Explorer.

nohpupd.jpg

It indicates that there is a fair amount of private contracts with companies that are still paying for extended support on XP. More-so than to make patches specifically available to those companies and it would be easier to make it available on the enterprise level of update support, the WSUS catalog and the MS Catalog update site.

Speaking of which, Avast reported 201,138 blocked Wannacrypt infections in 112 countries. That's pretty impressive.

Edit: 20/05/2017

It escalated quickly to over 250,000. It just doesn't seem to stop.

Edited by FranceBB
Updating data

12 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

XP is not compatible with wannacry

Please guys and gals put this words everywhere like forums , facebook , youtuhe etc

Please protect XP from death 

Edited by Dibya

1 hour ago, JodyT said:

I was about to link to this.  It appears that a few of us need to line up face against the wall and prepare for a lashing.  Please whip gently :o

Nahh, I would find this more appropriate ;):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079470/quotes?item=qt0471984

Now, seriously (and ironically ), on XP (IF the Wannacry thingy actually encrypted the files) you still have a teeny-tiny possibility to unencrypt them, something that there is NO chance you can do on Windows 10 (again IF the Wannacry thingy ran on it) thanks to the betterings the good MS guys implemented:

https://github.com/aguinet/wannakey

..and on 7, at least 32-bit version:

https://github.com/gentilkiwi/wanakiwi

https://blog.comae.io/wannacry-decrypting-files-with-wanakiwi-demo-86bafb81112d

jaclaz