Windows XP Spotter (the club)

FranceBB

Welcome to the club "Windows XP Spotter", a club which aims to collect pictures of running Windows XP (or XP based, like WES, WePOS, POSReady2009 and Server 2003) machines during these days. I'm gonna start:

London Victoria Station, Ground Floor, McDonald's uses Windows PosReady (XP-based) tills, but I didn't manage to get a pic of them (yet).

In the meantime, I got a supermarket (running XP):

img.jpg

And a friend of mine living in Italy, Ivo, sent me this:

FB_IMG_1493906792268.jpg

Ok people, go out and conquer the world shoot pictures of running XP (or XP-based) machines.

Edited by FranceBB

No pictures but i made a list a couple months ago:

Places that Have Style still run XP:

My house

Local Library

My school

Petco pet store

National museum of play

Countless ATMs

Probably more cash registers/pos

Local News Station

Edited by i430VX

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to taking a picture... here is Petco (a pet store) proudly showing off XP...

sorry how its hard to see the bright light behind the monitor from outside wasn't helping my already sucky camera.

untitled.JPG

• 1 month later...

I was heading to the ACI (Automobile Club Italy) and once I got there, I didn't bother about all the manuals lying on the desk, but I quickly notice that blue bar: they are running Windows XP. :)

FB_IMG_1505016669145.jpg

Edited by FranceBB

The Fox Hollow resort I stay at during winter vacation in Great Barrington has XP machines (no photos).

By the way, I added another XP machine to the interwebs this weekend. Yay for market share.

I am from CT, on Saturday I took delivery of a ThinkPad T23 2647-4MU in New Jersey. It was worth the trip. The machine is in MINT physical and working condition, unusual for a 16-year-old machine. It is also original, except that the original owner had upgraded the RAM to 512MB from the stock 128MB.

Anyway, it shipped with Windows 2000 but I installed the XP recovery CDs, along with SP3 for good measure. IBM shipped the T23 July 2001 - October 2002, a time when both Windows 2000 and XP were available for recovery media.

Stephen Fox's IBM ThinkPad T23

On 9/12/2017 at 6:39 AM, jaclaz said:
On 9/11/2017 at 5:26 PM, sdfox7 said:

Anyway, it shipped with Windows 2000 but I installed the XP recovery CDs, along with SP3 for good measure.

...because it was too d@mn fast with Windows 2000 and you wanted to slow it down a tad bit, right? ;)

@jaclaz

I thought I replied to this topic earlier, but it seems to have gone missing or there was a submission failure.

I chose to install XP for a few reasons. The first is that I wanted to take advantage of 802.11 n Wireless N technology. I am not familiar of any adapters that work on Windows 2000 with drivers available. The second reason was that I wanted to be able to consume media content. I tried unsuccessfully, to use Netflix on Windows 2000 and was not able to, Silverlight 5 was never made available for Windows 2000, and with Silverlight 4 I got an error similar to "the hardware or software is not supported". The final reason is that XP SP3 is compatible with a huge amount of software out of the box, and is proven to be extremely stable, at least for me.

By the way, this ThinkPad has the Tualatin Pentium III-M processor. This was Intel's flagship at the time, and in tests has been faster than the Pentium 4 instructions per cycle / instructions per second. It isn't as slow as you may think. I don't use antivirus, which also keeps things moving briskly.

cpuz1.jpg

cpuz2.jpg

cpuz3.jpg

cpuz4.jpg

So the BBC spotted a large trove of running XP's:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41306321

Greater Manchester Police told the BBC that 1,518 of its PCs ran the ageing operating system, representing 20.3% of all the office computers it used.

(of course the rest of the article has the usual FUD about XP's security).

This time the new entry is a Dr Steven Murdoch "a cyber-security expert at University College London" that provides the usual boilerplate scaremongering, even if his field of expertise is  (according to Wikipedia) in other matters (contiguous but not exactly the same as OS security).

jaclaz

@jaclaz: Sorry, this is not directed at you. The post that caused it has already been split into the proper thread.

@Everybody: Just a friendly warning. I'm tiring of spliting off-topic posts from this thread. Hence, the next off-topic post here will award its author a 2-day suspension to muse about what on-topic means. Y'all have been warned.

• 1 month later...

I got a tour of a local factory (they make some medical things mostly) and they are mostly on 7 but they have a few Pentium M laptops with XP. 

Unfortunately no photos, my phone was not with me, and I'm not sure what their stance on photography was anyways.

Edited by i430VX

• 4 weeks later...