Windows XP Spotter (the club)

FranceBB

I forgot about this thread!

Last November, I was riding in a taxi in midtown Manhattan, NY (I don't live there; I was visiting from California), and came across this peculiar sight on the video screen:

IMG_3056..thumb.jpg.72c13549db8ac5bbdecdb344e7d8814e.jpg

I'm pretty sure that whatever's driving the display is running XP, judging by the styling of the dialog box (all later versions look different).

What makes it puzzling to me is that the taxi couldn't have been more than a couple years old, so why didn't they go with a newer system?

c

31 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

If the car was from a cab company, the age of the car wouldn't have anything to do with any computers that the company owns.

Definitely. The local bus service has buses that were introduced early this year as well as ones that were definitely around in 2005, and they all have tracking computers running on Windows 10 IoT.

ElectroBOOM published a new video in which it compares different kind of lightbulbs and he used a camera to analyze the light spectrum. The software he used to see the spectrum was clearly running on Windows XP. 9wmQbKY.png

Video (if you're curious, check minute 6:33): 

• 4 months later...
8 hours ago, FranceBB said:

Yep, that's indeed a VM with XP on it, which just shows that there are some programs that don't run on newer version of Windows and clearly don't run on Mac OSX. ;)

his dental clinic has been fully reformed due to a gas cylinder explosion on the upper floor.

I can't believe his new equipment X-ray machine...etc is still using XP or why such an expensive machine has not been updated or supported by the manufacturer with newer software.

6 hours ago, kasfruit said:

I can't believe his new equipment X-ray machine...etc is still using XP or why such an expensive machine has not been updated or supported by the manufacturer with newer software.

With all due respect, probably because the older software still performs perfectly and is licensed for life, while an upgrade would require a new and expensive license just for show purposes, since it adds nothing really needed. Do you think people are made of money? Moreover, you yourself told he's gotten his clinic renovated... for normal human beings, there's only so much money (more so in times of covid-19, on top of it)!

Indeed — the dental offices I've been to all do similarly — use software written for Windows (running in some Citrix program) on Mac OS X.  The dental school I go to now apparently spends all their money on buying everyone brand new top-of-the-line Intel Macintoshes capable of the latest 3-D graphics so they can run dental and scheduling software written in 1995 for Windows 95.  (The Citrix program they use provides the Windows 95 interface btw; not Windows XP)

Edited by ThomasW

• 9 months later...

A friend of mine was going to get the tube in Catania, Giuffrida Station, Italy, and he sent me this picture:

xJTJnDt.jpg

and we're both pretty sure that it's Windows XP or one of its derivatives

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like the NHS is still very much based on Windows XP. This was spotted at St George's Hospital in London:

spacer.png

p.s not my CT Scan, it's the one of an old woman I think

spacer.png

Edited by FranceBB

I seem to remember that there was a hostile cyber attack on NHS systems a few years ago.
Much as I love XP, unless they are paying MS for current security updates, I hope those machines aren't connected to the internet!
:o
Windows Embedded 2009 still runs on the self-service tills in my local Marks and Spencer shop BTW, saw one booting up only yesterday, but didn't get a picture sadly.
:)