Windows XP Spotter (the club)

FranceBB

Guys, please respect a bit the privacy of other people :-( Unauthorized photos in general are bad enough, but close-up mugs on the public web are a complete No-Go. And doesn't even make any sense at all when the subject are just "screen" shots. Cutting out parts of a photo with any simple, basic app, like IrfanView or even MS-paint, takes just a minute, and NO skills!

1 hour ago, siria said:

Guys, please respect a bit the privacy of other people :-( Unauthorized photos in general are bad enough, but close-up mugs on the public web are a complete No-Go. And doesn't even make any sense at all when the subject are just "screen" shots. Cutting out parts of a photo with any simple, basic app, like IrfanView or even MS-paint, takes just a minute, and NO skills!

Hmmm, only out of curiosity, how do you know exactly that the photo in question was not authorized? :unsure:

Guys, please respect a bit the presumption of innocence. 

And now, for NO apparent reason, hipsters:

https://petapixel.com/2019/03/07/hipster-p***ed-over-his-photo-in-article-on-hipsters-looking-the-same-but-its-a-different-hipster/

jaclaz

7 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

The blue countertop makes me think it is a Napa.

You'd be right. However BEFORE the store was Napa, the counter was still blue. :whistle:

Edited by i430VX

22 hours ago, siria said:

We do respect the privacy, but pictures are generally taken of computer running in public places and accessible by everyone, like train stations, markets, local shops and so on... You know, as long as it's a public place (not some deeply hidden computer running in some secret part of a company storing valuable and secret information about whatever leaked by a dodgey employee) and there are no other people included in the picture with their face well visible, I don't think that there are any problems in posting them here. ;)

Edited by FranceBB

On 10/15/2019 at 8:08 PM, dencorso said:

Yes. But I cut that off the pic and reloaded the sanitized one. Ain't that what mods are for? :D

Ah, so this is why I looked at it for the very first time when it was already been edited (not knowing that it was cropped by you) and I thought it was 100% legit xD

A Boots shop in the UK I guess, looks a terrible mess!
I wonder why it's apparently actual XP and not Windows POS/Embedded 2009 as I would expect on a self-service till?
We have loads of places still using ancient equipment!
:lol:

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I wonder why it's apparently actual XP and not Windows POS/Embedded 2009 as I would expect on a self-service till?

You can enable that login screen on POSready, and probably the other derivatives, too. IIRC it has normal XP branding.

Yeah, the only branding difference in all of the XP derivatives is the classic login/winver banner. Everything else is the same.

I don't see why one would vouch for the enabling of the welcome screen in a business environment though. It doesn't easily work with domains.

Embedded devices may be a different story, as there are other pictures circulating of the welcome screen on payphones. Perhaps they were using XP Pro for Embedded Systems, which appears to be XP Pro, welcome screen by default and all, just with special licensing.

Edited by win32

• 1 month later...